Disk vs. V-Brakes

Old May 7th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

Default Disk vs. V-Brakes

What are the benifits of disk brakes over V-brakes, other then the
disks do not get as wet on the trails?

After the recent run-in with a dog on a downhill stretch of trail, I
am now in the process of replacing my rims and brakes on my mountain
bike, and am looking into the possibility of going disk. (already have
the replacement handlebars, headset, stem)

My areas of concern with moving to disks, is the weight differences,
as well as the stopping range between none, and fully locked
(ultimately, I would like to be able to brake hard, without lockup,
but still have that option available). My
current V-brakes are easly able to lock the tires up, even at a
speeds
over 30mph.

From my understanding, V-brakes should be able to provide a larger

range of control over the disk (based on the diameter of the wheels,
over the diameter of the disks).
Is this incorrect?

Any insight into this?

Most of my riding is cross-country, single track if I can find it.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old May 7th 07, 03:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

mike wrote:
What are the benifits of disk brakes over V-brakes, other then the
disks do not get as wet on the trails?

After the recent run-in with a dog on a downhill stretch of trail, I
am now in the process of replacing my rims and brakes on my mountain
bike, and am looking into the possibility of going disk. (already have
the replacement handlebars, headset, stem)

My areas of concern with moving to disks, is the weight differences,
as well as the stopping range between none, and fully locked
(ultimately, I would like to be able to brake hard, without lockup,
but still have that option available). My
current V-brakes are easly able to lock the tires up, even at a
speeds
over 30mph.

From my understanding, V-brakes should be able to provide a larger

range of control over the disk (based on the diameter of the wheels,
over the diameter of the disks).
Is this incorrect?

Any insight into this?

Most of my riding is cross-country, single track if I can find it.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Google this newsgroup. It has been answered a few times.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 9th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On May 7, 10:51 am, mike wrote:
What are the benifits of disk brakes over V-brakes, other then the
disks do not get as wet on the trails?

After the recent run-in with a dog on a downhill stretch of trail, I
am now in the process of replacing my rims and brakes on my mountain
bike, and am looking into the possibility of going disk. (already have
the replacement handlebars, headset, stem)

My areas of concern with moving to disks, is the weight differences,
as well as the stopping range between none, and fully locked
(ultimately, I would like to be able to brake hard, without lockup,
but still have that option available). My
current V-brakes are easly able to lock the tires up, even at a
speeds
over 30mph.

From my understanding, V-brakes should be able to provide a larger

range of control over the disk (based on the diameter of the wheels,
over the diameter of the disks).
Is this incorrect?

Any insight into this?

Most of my riding is cross-country, single track if I can find it.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Decent disks are better. But for what I'd consider standard XC,
they're not necessary.

/s

Old May 10th 07, 11:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On May 8, 11:17 pm, Mike wrote:
In article .com, says... What are the benifits of disk brakes over V-brakes, other then the
disks do not get as wet on the trails?

1) You can still use disks when your wheel gets a big dent.
2) Disks still stop you when the wheels have been ankle deep in mud.
3) Disks don't 'catch'.
4) Good hydraulic disks give you much more control.
5) Disks don't sandpaper your rims down when you use them in sandy/gritty conditions.
6) Disk pads last longer and are usually easier to replace and adjust than v-brake pads.

Mike

You forgot about better stopping when wet. And no black rim walls. It
isn't always mud. Before mud comes rain.

Old May 11th 07, 12:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mike:
3) Disks don't 'catch'.

Most don't but some do.
--
PeteCresswell

Disk brakes? Sticky Wicket Techniques 112 February 8th 07 05:27 PM
Disk brakes General 13 July 3rd 06 03:44 PM
Self-adjusting disk brakes Kim Mountain Biking 3 March 29th 06 10:55 PM
Disk brakes? Hot! ain Mountain Biking 20 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Disk Brakes john Mountain Biking 4 January 22nd 04 02:44 AM