is there a small backpack that fits onto bike rack

Old May 23rd 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default is there a small backpack that fits onto bike rack

Hi,
I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
do the same thing.

I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

Thanks,
Dan
Old May 23rd 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
wrote:

Hi,
I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
do the same thing.

I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

Thanks,
Dan

I'll let you judge normalcy, but...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...Eprd_id=845524
441778193&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693353&b mUID=1211513147962

MEC Rackpack Backpack. It's a bike rack back with hidden backpack
straps, allowing it to convert into a practical but fairly narrow
backpack. It's not even expensive at C$33.

Old May 23rd 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Garry Lee

A friend of mine used one for touring for years. Was made byKarrimor.
Old May 23rd 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 22, 11:28*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

--
Ryan Cousineau /

OK MEC got me this which is more like what I was thinking about:
MEC Cycling Pannier/Daypack

Gary, looked at Karrimor's website, not sure I found anything good
yet.

Thanks all,
Dan
Old May 23rd 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

nashbar.com has a combination pack & pannier or make your own as I did
from this web site, very easy solution takes about 10-15 minutes
http://www.instructables.com/id/Back...ill-backpacks/
Old May 23rd 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jenny Brien[_2_]

On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:57:47 +0100, cmcanulty wrote:

nashbar.com has a combination pack & pannier or make your own as I did
from this web site, very easy solution takes about 10-15 minutes
http://www.instructables.com/id/Back...ill-backpacks/

Even simpler; just hang it upside down by the waist strap, and swing it up
onto the rack for loading and unloading.
Old May 23rd 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

cmcanulty wrote:
nashbar.com has a combination pack & pannier or make your own as I did
from this web site, very easy solution takes about 10-15 minutes
http://www.instructables.com/id/Back...ill-backpacks/

The Nashbar product really sucks. I have one. There is no real backpack
section, you put your stuff into a stuff sack and kind of secure it with
webbing into the pack. A ridiculous design.

"http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=9036 &storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Produc ts"
Old May 23rd 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:
Hi,
I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
do the same thing.

I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

Thanks,
Dan

"http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/backpack/overview.asp?fl=1&site="

Just be aware that the mounting system isn't the greatest. Depending on
your shoe size, you may need to get a rack that will work well with this
pack, by allowing it to be mounted far enough back. See
"http://bicycleluggageracks.com/" for some good racks, and more
information on using the Arkel Bug.

Arkel needs to put some sort of fasteners near the bottom the bag that
are not just in the center, because the bag pivots out from the top rail
in wind, or over bumps, then slams into the wheel if the rack doesn’t
have a strut pretty far back like the Jandd Expedition.

The shock cord that comes all the way from the top and even when
fastened it doesn’t help much. Standard panniers usually have a shock
cord or strap that is attached near the bottom of the pannier that
attaches to the rack near the bottom of the rack, but the Arkel Bug
lacks this.

The Arkel panniers, other than the Bug, have a better design for the
shock cord hook, because there are multiple positions for the hook to go
through, rather than just through the center as on the Bug, so it can
attach to the bottom of the rear rack even when the attachment point on
the rack is not in the center. The instruction sheet that comes with the
Bug is the same as for the other panniers and mentions the multiple
positions for the hook. I was looking for the multiple positions for the
hook that were mentioned in the instructions and couldn’t find them. I
called Arkel because I believed I had received a unit that was
defective, but they explained that the Bug didn’t have those multiple
positions because it would interfere somehow with the backpack function.
Return to Table of Contents
Old May 25th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin

wrote:
Hi,
I remember seeing one time a small light blue backpack, in the style
used for schoolbooks, not hiking, that happened to have the
attachments on it to fit onto a bike rack. Does anyone know of
anything similar? I can't find anything on google except for a hiking
backpack that turns into a pannier, and how to sew on a bungy cord to
do the same thing.

I just think it would be neat to commute with my few things and have a
normal-looking backpack to pull off my bike.

Thanks,
Dan

I have looked at this one
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3kr7t2

I didn't like the long zipper that attaches the outer cover to the
backpack. The outer cover covers the shoulder straps and supports the
hooks that attach to the rack. It has to be rolled up and stowed in a
compartment under the backpack. It didn't look very durable to me.

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.