SRAM Red BB Disassembly

Old May 25th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Monty

Default SRAM Red BB Disassembly

Well it is time to grease the bottom bracket of my SRAM Red. One
question, how do I do it?
IT has a inner and out hex.
http://flickr.com/photos/montym/2518980765/
There is also a rotation indicator arrow. So, what tools do I need and
how do i go about the disassembly and oh ya, the reassembly
Thanks
Monty
Old May 25th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
joel

On 2008-05-24, Monty wrote:
Well it is time to grease the bottom bracket of my SRAM Red. One
question, how do I do it?
IT has a inner and out hex.
http://flickr.com/photos/montym/2518980765/
There is also a rotation indicator arrow. So, what tools do I need and
how do i go about the disassembly and oh ya, the reassembly
Thanks
Monty

SRAM publish quite good technical doc on their website see

http://www.sram.com/en/service/

Cheers

Joel
Old May 25th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 24, 5:08*pm, Monty wrote:
Well it is time to grease the bottom bracket of my SRAM Red. *One
question, how do I do it?
IT has a inner and out hex.http://flickr.com/photos/montym/2518980765/
There is also a rotation indicator arrow. So, what tools do I need and
how do i go about the disassembly and oh ya, the reassembly
Thanks
Monty

8mm allen, left-loosey. The outside bigger hex is to take the self
extractor out. Already got to the 100 hours or ride in the wet? Their
recs for these wunderbearings seem too frequent. I thought ceramics
last and last, solve all problems??
Old May 25th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
Well it is time to grease the bottom bracket of my SRAM Red. One
question, how do I do it?
IT has a inner and out hex.http://flickr.com/photos/montym/2518980765/
There is also a rotation indicator arrow. So, what tools do I need and
how do i go about the disassembly and oh ya, the reassembly
Thanks
Monty

8mm allen, left-loosey. The outside bigger hex is to take the self
extractor out. Already got to the 100 hours or ride in the wet? Their
recs for these wunderbearings seem too frequent. I thought ceramics
last and last, solve all problems??

That's exactly what I thought. 100 hours or after every wet ride? They
gotta be kidding... How long does the spindle crank interface last after
all that disassemble and assemble?

Lou
Old May 25th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
Well it is time to grease the bottom bracket of my SRAM Red. *One
question, how do I do it?
IT has a inner and out hex.http://flickr.com/photos/montym/2518980765/
There is also a rotation indicator arrow. So, what tools do I need and
how do i go about the disassembly and oh ya, the reassembly
Thanks
Monty

8mm allen, left-loosey. The outside bigger hex is to take the self
extractor out. Already got to the 100 hours or ride in the wet? Their
recs for these wunderbearings seem too frequent. I thought ceramics
last and last, solve all problems??

That's exactly what I thought. 100 hours or after every wet ride? They
gotta be kidding... How long does the spindle crank interface last after
all that disassemble and assemble?

Lou

Perhaps after the bearing races go south early(beautiful ceramic ball
bearinmgs tho) they can ask about 'proper' service' and then deny a
warranty. For somebody that rides a lot, 100 hours is like once every
2 months or so to OVH the BB. I OVH my cup and ball BB(1986 C-Record)
once per year, still turns smoother than any ceramic/cart bearing,
crank not flexy, not heavy...ball bearings are pennies..waitaminute-
ceramic 7/32 ball bearings! I'll be so fast!!
Old May 25th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
[...]

So Peter, what will you do next year when Campy is slated to have
*all* bearings ceramic in Super Record (at least according to rumors)?

Just to be clear, I'm no fan of ceramic myself, just wondering if
you're going to hold the proverbial nose if somebody asks you for
Super Record next year.
Old May 25th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
[...]

There is nothing wrong with ceramic bearings, but you might expect some
advantages for the price you pay. The overhaul intervals SRAM suggest
are ridiculous. If ceramic bearings or that design requires them we are
moving in the wrong direction.

Lou
Old May 25th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,

On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
[...]

I run a Campagnolo bottom bracket from those years.
The races seem to be something close to tool steel.
When I first opened the package and looked, the stuff
seemed so good that it glowed. It was the more surprising,
because it was closeout merchandise, selling for pennies;
and I did not expect the goodness.

--
Michael Press
Old May 26th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Monty

Already got to the 100 hours or ride in the wet?

Well, I have 3236 miles on the RED group (both trainer and road
miles) I suspect they do not need maintenance, but I am getting a
knock and a... for lack of a better term, a squeak with every pedal
stroke. I suspect it is the pedals. I have over 55,000 miles on them
and a new set is on order. I just wanto be sure the BB is ok.

Thanks to every for advice and comments.

Monty
Old May 26th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 24, 5:08 pm, Monty wrote:
[...]

I don't hold my nose now for many things. BUT if somebody asks my
opinion, I cite Lennard and others who have done real testing about
this latest 'thing'.

BTW-I think the Centaur design for 2007 was a huge mistake. I think
Campagnolo's cogset ratio offerings are really dum. I lump Campagnolo
wheelsouttaboxes along with most others(altho they do start with good
hubs, like shimano, unlike Mavic). Electronic is a gizmo, BUT they
don't listen to me or other bike shop guys. Of the 3 makers, I still
like Campagnolo the best for lots of practical and aesthetic reasons,
I dislike Sram for the hype and poor functionality of the left
shifter. I admire shimano for where they have taken the bike, but
dislike their 'gorilla in the room' mentality.

Jus cuz I have a Campagnolo tattoo(modified by 'Tullio and his birth
and death dates, may he rest in peace), doesn't mean I love all about
them. Besides, the heart of the bike is the frame anyway, all else are
really consumables. There is plenty of silliness going on these days
in frame design to go around.