grocery panniers?

Old January 16th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default grocery panniers?

just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

I know, just go to the store and look at 'em, but the only place I know
of that actually sells 'em around here is the L.L. Bean store in the
mall, which I try to avoid like the plague (actually, I don't mind LLB
even if they're pricey but I abhor malls and crowds etc.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 16th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

If you had cats, you would have a nice collection of empty litter
buckets to make panniers from:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1gci&doc_id=1841&v=v.

I know, just go to the store and look at 'em, but the only place I know
of that actually sells 'em around here is the L.L. Bean store in the
mall, which I try to avoid like the plague (actually, I don't mind LLB
even if they're pricey but I abhor malls and crowds etc.)

I prefer to use the term "shopping maul".

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old January 16th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Nate Nagel:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

Been using one on the right side of my utility bike for about
five years now. Heaviest load I carry is two one-gallon jugs of
spent motor oil when I take it to the car repair shop for
disposal.

No problems at all and I like it: easy on, easy off, shoulder
strap....

Seems like I saw them at the local Performance Bicycles shop at
quite a reasonable price a few months ago.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 16th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Nate Nagel:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

Been using one on the right side of my utility bike for about
five years now. Heaviest load I carry is two one-gallon jugs of
spent motor oil when I take it to the car repair shop for
disposal.

No problems at all and I like it: easy on, easy off, shoulder
strap....

Seems like I saw them at the local Performance Bicycles shop at
quite a reasonable price a few months ago.

Thanks, I do have a Performance quasi-nearby, I keep forgetting about it
though. Last time I was in there the guy seemed to think that I needed
a new carbon fiber road bike, I told him that I could lose 10 lbs. and
keep my old bike and it'd work out about the same, he didn't quite know
what to say to that

nate

Old January 16th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

If you had cats, you would have a nice collection of empty litter
buckets to make panniers from:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1gci&doc_id=1841&v=v.

I'm torn. That appeals to my frugal nature and actually looks quite
practical... but it's just *so* fredly...

nate

Old January 16th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Nate Nagel:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

I would add that I'm using the one without the "optional mesh
hood".

Seems to me like a cover would downgrade the usefulness of it
ford me. I keep a couple plastic grocery bags stuffed in the
side pocket in case of heavy rain and some sort of
water-sensitive load.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 16th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

I know, just go to the store and look at 'em, but the only place I know
of that actually sells 'em around here is the L.L. Bean store in the
mall, which I try to avoid like the plague (actually, I don't mind LLB
even if they're pricey but I abhor malls and crowds etc.)

I sell Jandd products and they are top quality materials/
USA construction. Best of available products for this
application.
However, 12 pounds of weight regularly may tax the seam
strength on normal=potholed city streets and up/down curbs
especially for aggressive riders. (maybe bunji the beer on
top of the cargo rack?)
On a smooth road, no reservations.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 17th 10, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 16, 2:16*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? *say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

I know, just go to the store and look at 'em, but the only place I know
of that actually sells 'em around here is the L.L. Bean store in the
mall, which I try to avoid like the plague (actually, I don't mind LLB
even if they're pricey but I abhor malls and crowds etc.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I use http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1780081 ,
but they do require xtracycle with wideloaders. 100 pounds a side.
http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-utili...eeradical.html
Old January 17th 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Nate Nagel wrote:

just curious, are these

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP

strong enough to stuff full of liquids? *say, if I were out and about
and felt like picking up a half case of beer or similar?

I have one I've used for a decade or so. It's still in fine shape
despite much unremarkable duty and a few truly heroic loads. A half
rack of beer is unremarkable duty for that bag; it will take two six
packs of bottles sitting flat on the bottom. Twelve beers, a ten-
pound bag of basmati rice, and as many cans of beans and tomatoes as I
can cram in the remaining gaps will make the thing sag and sway, but
not fail to perform as expected.

I usually use that bag clipped to the crossbar of a motorcross or BMX
bar, sort of like a butch granny basket. It folds flat when empty,
which makes more sense when used as a pannier than as a handlebar
basket. My wife uses it on her rear rack.

That bag's strengths are also its weaknesses; it's simple, easy to
load, and easy to poke around in, but on the other hand its contents
are in plain view and out in the weather.

I have an assortment of different panniers to choose from, but ever
since I built a pair of kitty litter bucket panniers, they have become
my first choice for most occasions. I reckon their extreme fredliness
serves as a sort of passive anti-theft measure, inasmuch as folks
won't likely steal or ransack something they don't even want to be
seen with.

Chalo
Old January 17th 10, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 17 Jan, 08:18, Chalo wrote:

I have an assortment of different panniers to choose from, but ever
since I built a pair of kitty litter bucket panniers, they have become
my first choice for most occasions. *I reckon their extreme fredliness
serves as a sort of passive anti-theft measure, inasmuch as folks
won't likely steal or ransack something they don't even want to be
seen with.

"fredliness" passed into common usage has it? Please explain your
meaning and how derived.

Grocery getter OzCableguy Australia 7 March 2nd 06 11:43 AM
Grocery getter craigster_jd Australia 1 February 28th 06 01:13 PM
Grocery capacity Earl Bollinger General 24 January 10th 06 09:29 AM
Bicycling With Panniers to the Grocery Store [email protected] General 62 September 21st 05 12:33 PM
Grocery Store Panniers? Big Dummy Techniques 23 January 5th 05 07:08 PM