Rear U-Brake - Specialized Rock Hopper (1987)

Old February 24th 15, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Rear U-Brake - Specialized Rock Hopper (1987)

On 2/24/2015 9:11 AM, Will wrote:
On Monday, 23 February 2015 19:01:27 UTC, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 2/23/2015 1:17 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 2/23/2015 3:22 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:
:
: IIRC neither cantilevers nor V-brakes arms will fit on the U-brake studs
: and allow their pads to line up with the rim.
:
: I assumed he'd have to search old bike shops, Ebay etc. to find old
: U-brake arms. Not an easy task, I admit!

:But I now see that Andrew says they're available as current production.

They're still used on BMX bikes.

--
sig 102

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have ordered some PB Blaster, and hopefully a thorough soaking with that will loosen them up and then I could possibly knock them down a bit with a rubber mallet. As you have all noticed, the corrosion is pretty bad so it may be the case that I'll have to take more extreme measures.

I did try to emery the bolt, but it's just to tight to do it properly or for it to have any effect.

Great to hear that I can get a replacement brake, I had worried that I would have to search for the same brakes.

The PB blaster should be here tomorrow so hopefully that will yield some results.

Thanks again for the advice. It's much appreciated.

I don't think emery would be useful until disassembled.
You want to remove corrosion from the mating surfaces inside
once it is apart.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/