Coaster Brake Failure

Old February 27th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

In Yiddish, it's "farpotchket", which loosely translates to "broken during
the act of fixing it".

That might have the same roots as the German "verpfuscht" or "verpatzt".
When someone tries to design or fix technical stuff and either has no
clue how to go about it, is in a hurry or doesn't really have the budget
for it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 27th 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums
up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in
software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned. People using
library modules that others have written, assuming everything in those
we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the least amount of
electronics and software in there and, for example, will never be caught
with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

I am saying this as an engineer who designs electroncics.

Old February 27th 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I have Ultegra Di2 on my super rain bike Synapse. Works great except that I broke the rear derailleur wire being careless cleaning the bike in a wash stand. I soldered the broken wire and shrink-wrapped it. I also bought a new wire, but the repair seems to be working fine.

The problem with Di2 -- or maybe just 11sp -- is that chain wear beyond .5% but below .75% really degrades shifting. Down-shifts hang up. I threw on a new chain last night, and now it shifts great. I didn't think I had that much mileage on the chain, but I guess I did. I bought a couple $19 11sp 105 chains from Western Bikeworks for back-ups.

The great thing about Western is that if you buy $50, it's free shipping, but if you pick up in store, its $5 off. I can ride to the store on my way home from work and save $5, although not today because it snowed, and I slacked-off and car-pooled with my son.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 27th 19, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/26/2019 10:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/26/2019 12:09 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 2/26/19 12:28 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:39:48 +0100, Tosspot

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design
100+ years old?

It's fake news.Â* We all know that the old days were *far*
superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did
have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion
this is a good thing[TM].Â* How do they work?

They've always, by design, had greased end bearings and bendix ramps.
Classic bronze-on-steel braking or modern steel-steel pushes the
lubricant aside with no issues.

Shimano Roller Brake hubs also need greased brake surfaces.

And of course, lots of motorcycles use wet clutches. Pretty similar physics.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

On the road bike it would probably work for me, not so much on the MTB.
There I shift the front all the time, hundreds of times per ride and the
rear as well, skipping across lots of gears on each shift. From what I
heard that really depletes the battery.

The problem with Di2 -- or maybe just 11sp -- is that chain wear
beyond .5% but below .75% really degrades shifting. Down-shifts hang
up.

My chains spend most of their life in that range. They quickly go to
0.6% or so. On the road bike they tend to stay there and it's the
rollers that wear out. So I have to swap the chain even though stretch
is still 0.6% but the rollers are shot.

... I threw on a new chain last night, and now it shifts great. I
didn't think I had that much mileage on the chain, but I guess I did.
I bought a couple $19 11sp 105 chains from Western Bikeworks for
back-ups.

I just stay with friction shifters on the road bike, Deore M591 on the
MTB and Altus on the beater bike. My motto for vehicles is "If it ain't
broken, don't try to fix it".

The great thing about Western is that if you buy $50, it's free
shipping, but if you pick up in store, its $5 off. I can ride to the
store on my way home from work and save $5, although not today
because it snowed, and I slacked-off and car-pooled with my son.

We don't have many of those in this area. Though I have to check
Sacramento because I ride into that city on my road bike more and more.
Mainly on account of the great brewpubs and because there is a great
bike path leading into the city.

Old February 27th 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

SRAM says their new 12 system has bigger chain rollers &
rivets. For which you need a new chain tool.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 27th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUrqdUyEpI

Old February 27th 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

And for which they have a chain company. Tres convenient. I wonder how many of the chain manufacturers are going to follow them down that rabbit hole. If Shimano is true to form, it will wait a year and then announce its 12sp -- which will probably have a different chain format. I'm giving up chains and going with the Ceramic Speed cheese grater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgo-yEaXDzA

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 27th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/25/19 5:06 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Remember years ago when Shimano tried to get us to buy 10mm chain?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 19, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/2/19 7:06 pm, John B. Slocomb wrote:

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news.Â* We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a good
thing[TM].Â* How do they work?

I think most tractors have wet brakes. Mine does. They seem to work.

Wet as in "water" or wet as in "oil"?

They run in transmission oil. Sealed from the elements and oil cooled.

--
JS