Cages replaced on old school pedals?

Old April 22nd 19, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Cages replaced on old school pedals?

Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Cheers
Old April 22nd 19, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Never had to replace any. The closest I've come is with the Lyotard Mod 23
platform pedals I like - the ones with the tab built into the top platform -
I've had that tab bend down too far. It's been easy to bend it back up, but
I suspect someday the tab will snap off due to repeated bending.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 22nd 19, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with
removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab
plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Never had to replace any. The closest I've come is with the Lyotard Mod 23
platform pedals I like - the ones with the tab built into the top platform -
I've had that tab bend down too far. It's been easy to bend it back up, but
I suspect someday the tab will snap off due to repeated bending.

I broke the cast aluminum tab off an MKS platform pedal. No fault of
MKS, I clumsily ran it into a telephone pole. It's not replaceable, but
I don't much miss it; the pedal is just as easy to turn over without the
little tab.
Old April 22nd 19, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Cheers

Was looking at a number of my Old School pedals with removable cages and just got to wondering if anyone had ever had t o replace one. I have two pairs of the triangular shaped Shimano 105 pedals with toe clips and one pair has removable rear kick-tab plates and the other pair doesn't.

Cheers
Old April 22nd 19, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-22 07:39, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with
removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab
plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Cheers

Was looking at a number of my Old School pedals with removable cages
and just got to wondering if anyone had ever had t o replace one. I
have two pairs of the triangular shaped Shimano 105 pedals with toe
clips and one pair has removable rear kick-tab plates and the other
pair doesn't.

I just looked at my old Shimano 600 strap cage pedals that I retired
years ago. They are aluminum and the kick plates are very sturdy steel.
They look pristine. It would require a serious crash to bend the tooth
of those, probably into something harder than Radey's telephone pole.

The metal that holds the leather loop is also steel and mine never wore
out but I have seen others which had to be replaced. Mostly because
people couldn't get them up after a light turned green and rode a few
pedal strokes with one or both pedals upside-down until enough speed to
sort it out. Then the top loop holder scrapes on the road surface.

Even if this makes people cringe, now I have MTB pedals on my road bike.
Never looked back. I know, I know, that's like installing a trailer
hitch on a Porsche.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 22nd 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 10:57:01 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-04-22 07:39, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Any time I've had a Shimano triangular pedal (105, 600, Dura Ace AX) upside down the toe-clip might hit the pavement but never the rear kick-tab plate.

Cheers
Old April 22nd 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2019-04-22 07:39, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Back in the good/bad old days, the reason you replaced pedal cage plates (typically aluminum) was because they were eaten alive by steel cleats. The Campy SR pedals didn't have replaceable plates, and those could get whittled down -- sadly. You could also smash quill pedals in corners or otherwise drag them on the ground, leading to unsightly quills and banishment from polite cycling society.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 22nd 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/21/2019 11:00 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Some riders like those. So much so that Cinelli and MKS
made bolt-on tabs for pedals lacking them.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 22nd 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/22/2019 8:28 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Never had to replace any. The closest I've come is with the Lyotard Mod 23
platform pedals I like - the ones with the tab built into the top platform -
I've had that tab bend down too far. It's been easy to bend it back up, but
I suspect someday the tab will snap off due to repeated bending.

- Frank Krygowski

I wore out three pairs (top rivets worn to nothing) but
never had any trouble with the flip up tabs beyond, like
you, reshaping after loaning the bike.

Old April 23rd 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/22/2019 4:00 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/21/2019 11:00 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with
removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate
on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Some riders like those.Â* So much so that Cinelli and MKS made bolt-on
tabs for pedals lacking them.

I've got the original SunTour pedals on my old touring bike, which I
still use for a lot of club rides. The original kick tabs on those
pedals stick out about 3/8", not enough for me.

Some time long ago, I bought a set of bolt-on steel kick tabs that were
more complex. Their flat center section bolted to the back of the pedal,
but they protuded a bit at the level of the top of the pedal, and again
protruded a bit farther at the bottom of the pedal. Their brand name may
have been "Toe Flips," but I'm not sure.

For me, they work extremely well. I mentioned a long time ago that I
could get into the toe clips (admittedly, with loose straps) quicker
than my friends could get into their clipless pedals. These gizmos are
the reason with this bike. (With the tandem, it's the Lyotard Mod 23
pedals.)

--
- Frank Krygowski