Before Carbon

Old August 7th 05, 08:02 PM

Default Before Carbon

The material of good bicycles was steel and the Linth weight tool was
the drill to produce drillium.

http://www.velo-retro.com/peterjohnson.html

Just the same, these bicycles were at least as durable as the ones
sold now and the one in the picture is still working well after many
thousand miles.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 8th 05, 01:18 AM
jim beam

wrote:
The material of good bicycles was steel and the Linth weight tool was
the drill to produce drillium.

http://www.velo-retro.com/peterjohnson.html

Just the same, these bicycles were at least as durable as the ones
sold now and the one in the picture is still working well after many
thousand miles.

Jobst Brandt

eh? the /only/ viable material for the common man back then was steel.
good aluminum welds outside of the aerospace world didn't exist. ti
was only ridden by the russians. and there's no way that "drillium" was
anywhere /near/ as fatigue resistant as the undrilled componentry. if
you want to admire the beauty of that machine, i'm with you, but you're
trying to claim superiority over a carbon bike with a minimum 2 to 4 lb
weight advantage, /and/ structural fatigue advantage, you're just plain
unhinged.

Old August 8th 05, 03:59 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.velo-retro.com/peterjohnson.html

Good color. Is it as elegant in person?
What is with the champagne cork?

--
Michael Press
Old August 8th 05, 04:58 AM
Dirtroadie

wrote:
The material of good bicycles was steel and the Linth weight tool was
the drill to produce drillium.

http://www.velo-retro.com/peterjohnson.html

Holy crap! ;-)

DR

Old August 8th 05, 06:15 AM
41

jim beam wrote:
wrote:
The material of good bicycles was steel and the Linth weight tool was
the drill to produce drillium.

there's no way that "drillium" was
anywhere /near/ as fatigue resistant as the undrilled componentry.

On the other hand, here is a drillium variant which I'm sure you could
get sold on:

http://tinyurl.com/27os5
http://tinyurl.com/9nz5r

Note: these links come in different versions with alternate titles, the
first being "Carbon Bicycle Frame Diary", the second "Why Carbon
Bicycle Frames Absorb Vibration Better In Real World Use". The texts
are the same in the two versions.

Old August 8th 05, 06:49 AM

George King writes:

The material of good bicycles was steel and the Linth weight tool
was the drill to produce drillium.

there's no way that "drillium" was anywhere /near/ as fatigue
resistant as the undrilled componentry.

On the other hand, here is a drillium variant which I'm sure you
could get sold on:

http://tinyurl.com/27os5
http://tinyurl.com/9nz5r

Note: these links come in different versions with alternate titles,
the first being "Carbon Bicycle Frame Diary", the second "Why Carbon
Bicycle Frames Absorb Vibration Better In Real World Use". The texts
are the same in the two versions.

Looks great. I'm ready to try it but, you first!

Jobst Brandt

Old August 8th 05, 03:59 PM
Fred Barney

41 says...

On the other hand, here is a drillium variant which I'm sure you could
get sold on:

http://tinyurl.com/27os5
http://tinyurl.com/9nz5r

Note: these links come in different versions with alternate titles, the
first being "Carbon Bicycle Frame Diary", the second "Why Carbon
Bicycle Frames Absorb Vibration Better In Real World Use". The texts
are the same in the two versions.

Darwin still hard at work I see.
Old August 8th 05, 06:12 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

http://tinyurl.com/27os5

"My God, man. Drilling holes in his head isn't the answer!"
Star Trek IV

More seriously, that's about the scariest thing I've seen on the 'net.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 9th 05, 04:41 AM
41

wrote:
George King writes:

a drillium variant

http://tinyurl.com/27os5
http://tinyurl.com/9nz5r

Note: these links come in different versions with alte rnate titles,
the first being "Carbon Bicycle Frame Diary", the second "Why Carbon
Bicycle Frames Absorb Vibration Better In Real World Use". The texts
are the same in the two versions.

Looks great. I'm ready to try it but, you first!

Oh no, after you!

Maybe Peter Johnson could hold the drill. From the looks of that frame
he is a real craftsman. Not to mention good with the drill too.

But I think there are others here who could get sold on this
technological development and who would be eager to get in line ahead
of us.