Why no store-bought, boxed wheelsets?

Old August 19th 05, 03:14 AM
jim beam

Default Why no store-bought, boxed wheelsets?

Bob in CT wrote:
I bought a LeMond that has a wheelset that's too light. The rear wheel
flexes so much that it'll rub the brake pads. So, I bought this rear
wheel:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Here's what Nashbar says about them:

Extra strong with 32 14ga spokes laced 3X to a Ritchey Comp Rear hub,
this wheel is great for big guys, centuries, and cyclocross. Comp hub
features alloy shell with steel axle, serviceable steel ball bearings
and extra thick external seals to keep the gunk out and the grease in.
Ritchey Aero OCR Rim features a special offset cross section that
reduces wheel dish and increases strength plus has a ‘just right’
depth: deep enough to add strength, yet still able to use standard
length presta valve stems. Includes skewer and rim strip. Shimano 8/9
speed compatible freehub body. One year warranty through Ritchey
against defects in materials and workmanship.

I also purchased the matching front wheel.

So, why not buy a boxed wheelset? Why should I have, instead, purchased
a wheelset from someone near me (assuming I could find someone who
actually built wheels)?

if you mean quality pre-built wheels like mavic [or whatever], they're
great, no problems with out of the box at all. i'm testing mavic cosmos
and shimano r540's right now. both are fine and coping with my 200#
load perfectly.

some of the other wheels like cheapo nashbar "assembled from components
you can buy seperately" wheels may be in urgent need of re-truing when
they first arrive, but they're totally great value for money.

Old August 19th 05, 05:19 AM
Paul Kopit

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:51:03 -0400, "Bob in CT"
wrote:

So, why not buy a boxed wheelset? Why should I have, instead, purchased a
wheelset from someone near me (assuming I could find someone who actually
built wheels)?

There is little reason not to buy boxed wheels. If you buy them from
a decent Local shop, they'll even check the build when they open the
box. Many shops no longer build wheels and even custom wheels are
built elsewhere and sent to them in a box.

Unfortunately, many boxed wheels have good components that are built
poorly. Uneven, undertensioned spokes are the most common flaws. The
dish is frequently not perfect and hub cones are too snug. The design
is for what sells and not what is best for the rider and riding
conditions. I've noticed more organized tours specifying that riders
have conventional wheels on the ride.

I like to own and ride equipment that is as good as possible.
Functionally good isn't enough for me. My car maybe, but not my
bikes.
Old August 19th 05, 05:31 AM
jim beam

wrote:

So, why not buy a boxed wheelset? Why should I have, instead, purchased a
wheelset from someone near me (assuming I could find someone who actually
built wheels)?

There is little reason not to buy boxed wheels. If you buy them from
a decent Local shop, they'll even check the build when they open the
box. Many shops no longer build wheels and even custom wheels are
built elsewhere and sent to them in a box.

it's essential to by from a shop that knows what they're doing. when i
got my shimano r540's the bike dude insisted on "truing" them for me.
he rounded off one nipple and they were laterally true, but completely
un-round. i refused them and insisted on another unopened box. /those/
wheels have been great & i haven't had to touch them. similarly, my
mavic cosmos's have been great - untouched out of the box - untouched by
incompetents.

Old August 19th 05, 09:33 AM
Basjan

"Art Harris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob in CT wrote:

So, why not buy a boxed wheelset?

These wheels may be fine. It appears the spokes are straight 14 gauge
(not butted) and the spoke brand isn't specified. I suspect these are
machine built wheels.

As a minimum, you should probably check spoke tension and stress
relieve.

Art Harris

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by "machine-built" wheels?
Do you actually have automated equipment that can build wheels?

I was always under the impression that all wheel-building requires "human
intervention"!

Thanks

Basjan

Old August 19th 05, 03:27 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article , says...

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by "machine-built" wheels?
Do you actually have automated equipment that can build wheels?

Yes.
-------------
Alex

Old August 19th 05, 03:36 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

--
Bob in CT

Most wheels out of a box have the potential to be a great set of
wheels. They are mainly bult by people that may not be good
wheelbuilders and may not be designed for you, specifically.

BUT a good local wheelbuilder can design a wheelset specifically for
you and your needs, and ensure it is well built. The wheels you
purchased arer OK but 14g and 32 would not ne my first choice for w
durable wheelset, along with the rear hub which is somewhat
problematic.

I think a 36h, shimano or Campag hubset, laced to an appropriate rim
for you and your needs is what would be best.

You can get a pretty nice suit from jc penney's as well, but if you
want it to fit really well, you either go to a tailor or buy the
Penney's one and have it altered by a Tailor.

Old August 19th 05, 04:06 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Most wheels out of a box have the potential to be a great set of
wheels. They are mainly bult by people that may not be good
wheelbuilders and may not be designed for you, specifically.

BUT a good local wheelbuilder can design a wheelset specifically for
you and your needs, and ensure it is well built. The wheels you
purchased arer OK but 14g and 32 would not ne my first choice for w
durable wheelset, along with the rear hub which is somewhat
problematic.

I think a 36h, shimano or Campag hubset, laced to an appropriate rim
for you and your needs is what would be best.

You can get a pretty nice suit from jc penney's as well, but if you
want it to fit really well, you either go to a tailor or buy the
Penney's one and have it altered by a Tailor.

I recently purchased a brand new store-bought boxed wheelset from Bensbikes,
with the Wheelsmith label, Mavic Open Pro 700 silver rims using Wheelsmith
DB14 spokes 2.0/1.8mm with brass nipples on Shimano Ultegra 6500 9sp hubs
for $200.oo. They were smooth, trued and stress relieved right out of the
box. I installed the Ultegra 9sp cassette, made no derailleur adjustments
and had no problems or even a hint of out of true.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=7158760 928I was going to build my own, but when I saw this I thought I try them out.It would damn near cost me that in materials alone.FWIW-tom

Old August 19th 05, 06:34 PM
Bob in CT

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:06:00 -0700, Tom Nakashima
wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm going to see about the durability of these wheels (I can always
put my old wheels back on). If they suck, I'll chalk one up to
experience, and I'll have to find a local wheel builder.

--
Bob in CT
Old August 19th 05, 07:20 PM

wrote:

I recently purchased a brand new store-bought boxed wheelset from Bensbikes,
with the Wheelsmith label, Mavic Open Pro 700 silver rims using Wheelsmith
DB14 spokes 2.0/1.8mm with brass nipples on Shimano Ultegra 6500 9sp hubs
for $200.oo. They were smooth, trued and stress relieved right out of the

box. I installed the Ultegra 9sp cassette, made no derailleur adjustments
and had no problems or even a hint of out of true.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=7158760 928I was going to build my own, but when I saw this I thought I try them out.It would damn near cost me that in materials alone.FWIW-tom

Dear Tom,

I expect that they're nice wheels from Wheelsmith and hope
that you enjoy them.

But I noticed that the eBay auction doesn't mention
"stress-relief" and neither does the Benscycle site (it
doesn't even mention wheels as such):

http://benscycle.com/site/intro.cfm

Did you call or email Benscycle and ask them about stress
relief?

I also looked at the Wheelsmith site:

http://www.wheelsmith.com/index.html

They don't mention stress relief, either, but perhaps you
checked with Wheelsmith by phone or email?

I'm just curious. The interesting thing is that there's no
way to tell if a wheel's spokes have been squeezed together
or otherwise stretched, much less how hard.

Carl Fogel
Old August 19th 05, 07:58 PM
Tom Nakashima

wrote:

[...]

Carl,
I figured they have been stressed relief as I gave the wheels a check before
I rode on them by flexing using the pushing down method on the wheels with
my weight and hands. I heard no popping or pinging sound, so I assumed they
were stressed relief. If I did hear that pinging, I would have put them in
my truing stand and check for runout. I've been riding on them just about
everyday since receiving the wheels in early June. They are still true and
as smooth as silk, I had to do nothing to them so far. I was going to check
the grease in the hubs, but I can see grease still every so slightly oozing
out.

I guess there will always be doubters in this newsgroup who will try to find
flaws with the wheels I purchased from Benscycle, but I'll to say I'm very
pleased with the performance and what I paid for them, and that's what
counts.

Bencycles also sells the Dura Ace wheelset, with the Open Pro's in black,but
they're $100.oo more.
I'm more of a rider and like the Ultegra, not interested in paying anymore
than I have too. The only thing I have that is Dura Ace is the downtube
shifters and I'm using them with the Ultegra rear derailleur. Never missed
a shift in 7 years.
-tom