Wheel Replacement Advice

Old August 23rd 05, 01:56 PM
DMK

Default Wheel Replacement Advice

This past weekend I unfortunately lost the front wheel to my bike (don't
ask). It was a Bontrager Select from a 2005 Trek 1500. I currently have an
old Wolber Gentleman on there that is rideable but I want a replacement. I
have a few questions.

What is a comparable wheel to the Bontrager Select that is easy to find (I
have a very limited selection locally)? Shimano 500, 550? Weyless Korso?
Performance?

How do the Selects compare with the pre-built Open Pro/Ultegra wheelsets
that one can find at online retailers for around $200?

I am not a racer. I'm 5'9" about 155 ride about 120 miles a week (about
1700 so far this season). I am looking for something that is durable and if
I can something light. I am considering replacing the rear as well so that
I can have a spare set. Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Old August 23rd 05, 02:04 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

DMK wrote:
[...]

Call me at the shop and I'll design a wheelset for you. Like Ultegra
hubs, Velocity Aaeroheads, DT spokes. If you get a wheel in a box from
some wheel maker, like Weyless, do you have a good wheel person that
can check it? If not, stay away. Or can ya get a new Bontraager
wheel(have it checked also, BTW).

Old August 23rd 05, 03:30 PM
Art Harris

DMK wrote:

I currently have an old Wolber Gentleman on there that is rideable but I want a replacement.

As I recall, the Super Champion Gentleman rim became the Wolber
Gentleman, which then became the Mavic MA-2. What's wrong with that
wheel?

Art Harris

Old August 23rd 05, 04:54 PM
MSA

This past weekend I unfortunately lost the front wheel to my bike (don't
ask).

Dave

Oh go on!

--
Mark
______________________________________

Old August 23rd 05, 05:25 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:56:57 -0400, "DMK"
wrote:

I am not a racer. I'm 5'9" about 155 ride about 120 miles a week (about
1700 so far this season). I am looking for something that is durable and if
I can something light. I am considering replacing the rear as well so that
I can have a spare set. Any advice is appreciated.

A set of Velocity Nuvian wheels should work fine for you. Your local
shop can order them for you and they cost $300. You can get the
number of butted spokes and lacing done to whatever you need. The
Aerohead rims with the Velocity/Fusion hubs will last a very long
time.