WHOOPS! Amanda Batty Broke Her Pelvis Mountain Biking! "If you wanna chat, I’m here. I’m listening."

Old December 23rd 17, 02:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Amanda Batty Broke Her Pelvis Mountain Biking! "If you wanna chat, I’m here. I’m listening."

Not Really! She doesn't like hearing the truth!

Mike

Wqwc1qk_tOvZ841fYH.yUNtdNrUJAZEWEUgpLAEx6b01IgGhfi YCfb4Qn728
aVPdXFVPt79F2_o2dZ8p31d3B9qXx0LEvjZuCx4UltrDrfI4Ti YRq.FrmvXj
1c1QohRoo7..nHkla6ClEmYpuSxoXfWzpzFB9EPV5CtJX3MDDD ObaN89hpYp
UUyv70xxTVmaa6whp7mKThX2knC3lv49FTWBpBFe7jXYCycgIJ dCsHPXQEua
7YjqdtN7JbV2o9gl3.TWw2fva78J.XnOOKPtnWrVQOpF1S0i6L DNV2I47yNH
Jv9x4smtc9C9G2JDTdA9SuUyGtBYwPBrCcfV4ojZtN3xXJPsUP XgNHaLl8GT
v8ehIHcyjcMwbmExRMty8R637vjlJTDnt7ITddskghFlVDXnkl STDHYcp2as
AVffRnn51KzyPyNW9XB8U8pSJXYUPOVnhZv.fbjkRR0mErJmxN eqzS3L6Po9
nM1ZiWWOqodjpu9qJdShW1cOnaQrYbRDC7GWhPck.9JVYkYE.H T_VRXZCtVx
Q2jf.y4_e_vSQI8z7C7zgEUUIQfOYLRmbBneZeOCHlFBppmIQ0 rplHYbiaJp
wlAc4Bxd3Hhp6Tg8ikogmDNX5KV66FnwUaZ4hhk_pwr0ltuvXz aeaVDlZGhq
GbKKh6qDfsu.LaZv5UY_m2Ykae_84JGmdyj332Ri5_YC8alfVR da6eWccAqX
vkHb6Z1aqIJvQ9y692MfRrXunrP1AA2Odq.ZuFG2RTcsVoju.z Ff7LTXucMZ
QAY9PtCovT_EW0spEKoMLKi7_opMBiOA4bHOOxdBvRrqjAHEPw 8ZVuRvs5fH
kphch8FYiJ_JEZElX_M0btIJ2exodYBdySruARFVbPJ69ZiGfm naXpNNX.F8
Q39KHn2I6Nm2wbMtIgvqrRuN7SW4aiPqcf.j7M2ZqGHKx7xa1o FI2BL1GdbJ
2aPDhfcc32_Z7fVBdUUR9n81IuOIL2fl.3MVXIL255iTT0HMhh 6f.1S2v2Xw
n3IjtdFwWjoshaKPdQrB7TpXRGbNxtEw37bB1SL49LLGtL9XtZ iZXjzNn6SR
3CYmMLfv6SWhahHvXkLhzpIN265ZR6qeSUNHX565D4i2xhjuP8 ariGDDASLK
oLPlt1W0yp23ikeH3pWdJIvBhxHirp_tF0qNv8sVLCwtpRkeyQ wU_ZT.8XV5
OXQxfR83mgns4qEN8Rz0SPebHzVqW.I751RZ5bwQOBlaZHwNR6 pKvUb9Cqp8
lH.9RANeEzlnuNAEFq2E_ZLtuQE-
From: Amanda Batty
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:28:21 -0700
Subject: Mountain Biking in Our Parks
To: Mike Vandeman

If you contact me again, I’ll file suit for harassment and exercise any avenue for recompense as allowed by law. You’ve been nothing but a menace on every MTB site in existence and on past articles of mine; the next time you reach out, you’ll get a summons from my lawyer based on your malicious and egregiously aggressive behavior.

Don’t bother responding to this email.

(Probably out causing mayhem... please forgive the typos.)

Amanda Batty
Bike Race, Media & Adventure Athlete

Go Fast. Get Rowdy.

On Dec 21, 2017, at 8:24 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/12/...-some-respect/

Singletrackworld.com is censored, so this is the only way I can reply to you. You say you want to listen, so....

Everyone can get along just fine, just as we did before mountain bikes were invented: restrict the bikes to paved roads. Mountain bikers aren't the problem; bikes where they don't belong and cause environmental and medical harm are the problem.

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: http://mjvande.info/mtb10.htm . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that science supports that view. Of course, it's not true. To settle the matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see http://mjvande.info/scb7.htm ). I found that of the seven studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2) in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions.

Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them, but scientifically, they are worthless.

Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and other trail users out of the area, and, worst of all, teaches kids that the rough treatment of nature is okay (it's NOT!). What's good about THAT?

To see exactly what harm mountain biking does to the land, watch this 5-minute video: http://vimeo.com/48784297.

In addition to all of this, it is extremely dangerous: http://mjvande.info/mtb_dangerous.htm .

For more information: http://mjvande.info/mtbfaq.htm .

The common thread among those who want more recreation in our parks is total ignorance about and disinterest in the wildlife whose homes these parks are. Yes, if humans are the only beings that matter, it is simply a conflict among humans (but even then, allowing bikes on trails harms the MAJORITY of park users -- hikers and equestrians -- who can no longer safely and peacefully enjoy their parks).

The parks aren't gymnasiums or racetracks or even human playgrounds. They are WILDLIFE HABITAT, which is precisely why they are attractive to humans. Activities such as mountain biking, that destroy habitat, violate the charter of the parks.

Even kayaking and rafting, which give humans access to the entirety of a water body, prevent the wildlife that live there from making full use of their habitat, and should not be allowed. Of course those who think that only humans matter won't understand what I am talking about -- an indication of the sad state of our culture and educational system.

Now watch the mountain bikers lie and attack me for telling the truth about their selfish, destructive sport!

--

I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help?
(I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

Wildlife must be given top priority, because they can't protect themselves from us.

http://mjvande.info