Yellow flag conditions

Old April 11th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Yellow flag conditions

I hereby propose that all cyclists carry a yellow bandana, kerchief, scarf,
or something, and display it while engaged in an emergency situation.

Tonihgt on the Greenway we had a brief "missing child" situation --
athletic 6-year old girl on a little tiny bike (no training wheels!)
apparently got two loops on an s-curve ahead of her dad and older brother,
who were screaming hysterically. The southbound riders (yours truly
amongst them) went off to see if we could find the kid, which we did, then
we coralled her safely and assumed the classic bike rider emergency action
pose -- straddling the bikes more or less at the edges of each side of the
road, trying to look to each other like we knew what we were doing. I've
seen it in all situations -- wounded animals, lost keys, basket snatcher,
etc, always the same pose. But the northbound riders were seeing what
looked like an impromptu kafe klatch, and speeded through, shouting get out
of the way.

So I have come up with the idea of displaying a yellow flag when caution or
assistance would be useful, rather than high speed, from approaching
riders. Now all I need is for everyone to know that's what the yellow flag
means.

--ag
Old April 11th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Andy Gee" wrote in message
.50...
[...]

Perhaps 'coralled safely' should mean caught and safely moved out of
traffic.

jb

Old April 11th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Andy Gee wrote:

etc, always the same pose. But the northbound riders were seeing what
looked like an impromptu kafe klatch, and speeded through, shouting get out
of the way.

I hope you told the 6-yo that the northbounders were
displaying poor bike etiquette -- it's never too early
to learn to slow down when there are hazards.

scott
Old April 11th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Jim Boyer" wrote in news:e1gcdr$svl$1
@avnika.corp.mot.com:

Perhaps 'coralled safely' should mean caught and safely moved out of
traffic.

It does in fact mean that. There were bushes on either side of the road,
so three guys kind of surrounded her semicircularly in a sort of coral.

--ag

Mad Stabbed to death over a yellow bike Shabby Australia 2 August 26th 05 07:45 AM
Tour Down Under swaps yellow for ochre cfsmtb Australia 7 July 7th 05 10:14 AM
Yellow Miyata? Jethro Unicycling 14 June 4th 05 03:09 AM
Ed Gin the Great Yellow Mongoloid Idiot Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 February 2nd 05 08:41 PM
Lance Armstrong's yellow bracelets take off, boosting Nike Jason Spaceman Racing 0 September 27th 04 02:29 AM