SPD clipless pedals with 9/16" shaft?

Old April 24th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default SPD clipless pedals with 9/16" shaft?

With all due respect, you've got it backwards.

SPD's _typically_ have a 9/16" thread.

What you need is a 1/2" thread. (and I've never seen one like that)

Lewis.

*****

Old April 24th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Do these exist? I want to install them into.
an old cruiser (you guessed it 1973 Schwinn).

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old April 24th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.bikemania.biz/Knee_Savers_s/125.htm

Old April 24th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zilla wrote:
Do these exist? I want to install them into.
an old cruiser (you guessed it 1973 Schwinn).

--

SPD's on an old Speedster? You is one sick puppy. On my current
three-speed project, I'm going to stick with rattrap pedals:

Jeff

Old April 24th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JeffWills wrote:
Zilla wrote:
Do these exist? I want to install them into.
an old cruiser (you guessed it 1973 Schwinn).

--

SPD's on an old Speedster? You is one sick puppy. On my current
three-speed project, I'm going to stick with rattrap pedals:
http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/pedal...aps/14020.html . I find
that "normal shoe" pedals make it a lot easier to hop onto the bike for
a short errand.

Very true. My city bike has rat traps with no toe clips, but if I were
to replace them, it would be with the lovely and affordable MKS
platforms & clips:

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/pedal...aps/14030.html

Old April 25th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
ups.com...
With all due respect, you've got it backwards.

SPD's _typically_ have a 9/16" thread.

What you need is a 1/2" thread. (and I've never seen one like that)

Lewis.

*****

Hmmmm. Ok here's what I did.

I have the original pedals on there and used Park Tool's
Pedal wrench to them off, and used the side that had
9/16" marked on it. Not knowing any better, I tried to
install a set of Shimano M515s, and of course they don't
fit since the shaft is bigger. They fit on the side that of
the pedal wrench marked 15mm.

What did I miss in my foiled experiment?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old April 25th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Zilla" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
With all due respect, you've got it backwards.

SPD's _typically_ have a 9/16" thread.

What you need is a 1/2" thread. (and I've never seen one like that)

Lewis.

*****

Hmmmm. Ok here's what I did.

I have the original pedals on there and used Park Tool's
Pedal wrench to them off, and used the side that had
9/16" marked on it. Not knowing any better, I tried to
install a set of Shimano M515s, and of course they don't
fit since the shaft is bigger. They fit on the side that of
the pedal wrench marked 15mm.

What did I miss in my foiled experiment?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA
(Remove XSPAM)

I did more reading and 1/2" is indeed what I need.
I'll look into those adapters someone mentioned.
Thanks folks, as always!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old April 25th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zilla wrote:

I have the original pedals on there and used Park Tool's
Pedal wrench to them off, and used the side that had
9/16" marked on it. Not knowing any better, I tried to
install a set of Shimano M515s, and of course they don't
fit since the shaft is bigger. They fit on the side that of
the pedal wrench marked 15mm.

What did I miss in my foiled experiment?

Pedals with a 9/16" shaft have flats for a 15mm wrench
(unless they don't have flats). Pedals with a 1/2" shaft
have flats for a 9/16" wrench.

Old April 25th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Zilla wrote:

Hmmmm. Ok here's what I did.

I have the original pedals on there and used Park Tool's
Pedal wrench to them off, and used the side that had
9/16" marked on it. Not knowing any better, I tried to
install a set of Shimano M515s, and of course they don't
fit since the shaft is bigger. They fit on the side that of
the pedal wrench marked 15mm.

What did I miss in my foiled experiment?

Wrench size vs. thread size. The 15mm wrench typically fits 9/16"
thread pedals. The 9/16" wrench typically fits 1/2" thread pedals. This
may not always be true, but it esplains your issues.

Jeff

Old April 26th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-04-25, Zilla wrote:

Hmmmm. Ok here's what I did.

I have the original pedals on there and used Park Tool's
Pedal wrench to them off, and used the side that had
9/16" marked on it. Not knowing any better, I tried to
install a set of Shimano M515s, and of course they don't
fit since the shaft is bigger. They fit on the side that of
the pedal wrench marked 15mm.

What did I miss in my foiled experiment?

You're confusing the distance across the wrench flats with the pedal shaft
diameter.

--

John )