Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old May 2nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Brent P

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

In article . com, wrote:
On May 2, 8:46 am, evelyn wrote:
You must know
that there are rapist and murderers everywhere ...

Doggone! You're right! I just found three of them hiding under my
computer desk!
and I would use my gun for protection.

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

According to the cop who stopped me while I was bicycling I should be
affraid of all motorists because I don't know who they are and they might
assault me for yelling 'go' at them when they don't move on a green
signal or giving them a talking to when they drive rudely.

I should have asked him if I should just carry a gun....

revolver. He made it clear that it wasn't for snakes or bears. He
was afraid of other people.

The cop wanted to scare me off the roads or at least into a submissive
behavior where I should let motorists push me around by telling me to be
affraid of other people. Telling me it's legal in his town to ride on the
sidewalks... Considering his lack of knowledge of state law I wonder...

Sad thing is, this is the 3rd cop who has told me not to ride on the roadway.

You'd love riding here....

Old May 2nd 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Wayne Pein

Mike Young wrote:

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message

Mike Young wrote:

By law in IL, bicyclists are entitled to the full width of the
traffic lane. Most of the time, especially in the city, they tend to
hug the curb side of the curb lane, allowing motorized traffic to go by.

How thoughtful of them. I don't suppose bicyclists get any credit in
your accounting scheme for that?

I'm one of them, or at least, was until I moved to the 'burbs. Credit?
For what? Sharing the road? Keep your award, Sonny.

Hey Boy, "Sharing" by your and other's definition seems to mean,
"Bicyclists stay right in the lane so motorists can pass." So, how do
*motorists* share in this scheme?

Of course, you should know that there is no advantage to riding near
the side of the road, only disadvantages like poor sight lines, less
conspicuity, and motorists trying to squeeze by when its unsafe to do so.

Sure. All that. And trash, gravel, leaves, and car doors, too. I'm
happier there. Motorists don't have to squeeze by. It's better this way;
safer this way. But you already know all that, and can't be told anything.

No it's not safer. Perhaps you should examine bicyclist collision
causality. I'm glad you are happier in the trash, gravel, leaves and car
doors. Are you happier with a noose around your neck too?

But I guess if motorists are allowed to pass and you are a motorist
its all good for you.

Every

now and again, though, a militant bunch or another blocks up the two
lane suburban artery roads here with their 15 mph asses.

What makes you think they are militant rather than merely exercising
their right to use the lane? And why don't you pass in the oncoming
lane? Oh I know, its full of other motorists.

You tell me. You're one of them. Am I right?

When I ride in a group we use the full lane. So?

Traffic? Yeah,

I suppose they are. Special status in the law, however, shouldn't
preclude courtesy and consideration for others.

No special status. Just status.

Special status. Capital 'S'. Little school bus special. The only other
unlicensed vehicles granted that use are farm implements, and then only
with restrictions.

Hey Boy, the reason motor vehicles require licensing and restrictions is
because they are dangerous to others. Bicycles are not, hence they are
not required to have those things. Nothing is "granted" to bicyclists.
Others are restricted.

According to your logic, although bicyclists are entitled to use of
the full lane like other road users, they must be "courteous" and
allow you to use it for passing them. If they don't, then they are
militant.

According to my logic, when I'm doing 15 in a 40 with traffic queuing
behind me, I should find someplace to pull over and help them pass, no
matter what I'm riding or driving.

You seem to think 40 is a right in your scenario. That is a MAX. In all
my years of riding a bike, I've never had a queue behind me to the
extent I had to pull over.

Wayne

Old May 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 11:47 am, "Stephen!" wrote:
evelyn wrote groups.com:

..and have never practiced drawing and firing it while riding yer
bike... Wow... So intimidating.

Are you a jerk off?

No.

Why are you so angry...

So many intelligent questions from which to choose... so all you do is jugde people. you don't know me, you know nothing about me but yet you choose to call me a loser...that is not a sign of intellegence.

i just made some comments...And yea, My 38 is intimidating...

Not really. By the time you figure out how to get it from yer butt
pack anybody wishing to do you harm would have you on the ground and
unconscious.

how do you know.? I could be bigger than you or stronger than you,
you are makine lots of assumptions because I assume I am a woman. You
have no idea of what kind of person i am, what type of shape I am in,
NOTHING.

again, why are you a jerk?

As opposed to a "jerk off"? with your attitude, maybe thats all you can get, was that smart enough for you?

Nice try, loser...

you don't even know me and your calling me a loser?

Yup... Not only because of your comments, but because of your
inability to compose a coherent thought or construct a simple message
without screwing it all to hell.

oh, yea, i'm sorry, again, you have no good arguements, other than
calling me a loser.

your a f** loser you idiot.

Wow... Such intelligence and forthought. I'm glad you think I am fun.
Would you like to buy a comma?

what is your problem? you seriously need to get some help in you
anger managment. Thank god you don't carry a gun, we might read about
you sometime in the papers?

If you get set off this easily, perhaps you should be carrying a cap
pistol.

Maybe I will, or how about a machine gun, and some grenades strapped
across my chest....

I'm not trying to restrict others

Yes you are. By delcaring "crazy machine guns" as unnecessary you are
justifying restricting them. By telling other people "you don't need
them" you are trying to restrict other people's rights. Typical east
coast busy-body.

It was a comment...I'm not trying to restrict anyone, actually I'm one
of the most liberal people that I know...but again, you don't know
that because right away you think that you know me....and you don't.

you are such an ass.

At least do me the dignity of fininshing it...

I do agree that it is too easy to get guns in the US, and there are
too many out there.

You are right. Let's start by melting down yours.

kiss mine.

Your what?

and who are you again?

Someone who knows you much better than you think.

REALLY. Please do enlighten me and tell me about myself...who am I?
What do I do for a living? Wait, so I have a college education? Did
I go to graduate school. Am I a professional? Please do tell, I'm
quite lost because someone knows more about me than myself....WOW You
must be psychic? Are you? Are you?

i would love to be you!

I know you do... Too bad for you the only life you have is the one
where you ride around with a useless firearm tucked securely in a fanny
pack while telling everyone else which weapons they should be allowed to
own.

Yea, I would love to be someone who puts others down for no reason.
And there is more to life than putting strangers down for their
opinion....oh wait, Is this America??? Free speech? You don't have
to agree with me, but you don't have to be a jerk about it. You have
some major problems to get your panties in a waud for what I said.

Watch out for that truck behind you...

Will do! In the meantime, my gun will be ready to use if needed!
Can you send me a pic? I would love to use it next time I go to the
range for targe practice?

--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465http://imagesdesavions.com

Old May 2nd 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:
On 2 May 2007 07:23:29 -0700, wrote:

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

Oh? Do you have a citation for that? I'd like to see it. For it to
be true, the definition of "sexually assault" must be very broad,
indeed!

But even if true (which I seriously doubt) ISTM the solution isn't for
all women to pack guns all the time.

Runway models wearing holsters might turn on a few NRA fans, but it's
not likely to catch on with other folks.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 2nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

On 2 May 2007 07:23:29 -0700, wrote:

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.

Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

and if I carry my gun while riding/running in a rural area, I will be
able to protect myself!

Oh? Do you have a citation for that? I'd like to see it. For it to
be true, the definition of "sexually assault" must be very broad,
indeed!

How broad do you want? Being touched, groped, penetrated or
sodomized, I call all that rape if I don't want it. Isn't it easy for
men to say these things. I don't think that a man getting ready to go
for a ride will ask himself if he will get hurt or raped while out by
himself.

But even if true (which I seriously doubt) ISTM the solution isn't for
all women to pack guns all the time.

Runway models wearing holsters might turn on a few NRA fans, but it's
not likely to catch on with other folks.

Good for you if you don't want to ride with a gun...again, I would
much rather be safe than sorry. I will not become a statistic. And
carrying a gun gives me some type of protection agains the weirdos out
there. If you don't like it, too bad. Thats what makes America
Great. Ladies out there, get a gun, be protected.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 2nd 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Marz

On May 2, 1:07 pm, evelyn wrote:
On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:

On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

[...]

- Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

Is this gun of yours carried at the hip or in your camelpak or bag?

Old May 2nd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
evelyn

On May 2, 1:29 pm, Marz wrote:
On May 2, 1:07 pm, evelyn wrote:

On May 2, 1:00 pm, wrote:

On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:

[...]

Is this gun of yours carried at the hip or in your camelpak or bag?- Hide quoted text -

I wear on my hip. It doesn't interfere with my biking. I'm not a
"patron of the Fearmonger's Shop" like Pat suggests but I'm of the
mind set that its better to be safe than sorry. I live in rural
Virginia where almost everyone has guns in their trucks and in their
houses.

Old May 2nd 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
evelyn

On May 2, 1:44 pm, Patrick Lamb wrote:
(newsgroups trimmed a bit...)

wrote:
On May 2, 12:10 pm, Turby wrote:
On 2 May 2007 07:23:29 -0700, wrote:

Again - so many fearful people in this country. It's kind of sad.
Yeah, it is. The statistics say that one out of three women in America
will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

Oh? Do you have a citation for that? I'd like to see it. For it to
be true, the definition of "sexually assault" must be very broad,
indeed!

I've seen similar statistics before. Doesn't mean it's right, but it's
become (becoming?) conventional wisdom.

But even if true (which I seriously doubt) ISTM the solution isn't for
all women to pack guns all the time.

If you take 70 years as the mean life span, and 1/3 of the women in the
US are assaulted, you're chance of being sexually assaulted today is
something like 1 out of 75,000. It wouldn't be worth it to me to pack a
pistol every day, given that remote a chance, but if one was a regular
patron of the Fearmonger's Shop like "evelyn" seems to be, maybe one
might think it worthwhile for onesself.

Pat

What do you suggest women do? I've taken self defense classes, karate
classes and finally a class to be certified to carry a fire arm. I'm
not living in the fairy tale world where nothing bad ever happens.
Even in rural, country communities, crime can occur. I don't think
there is any problem with women carrying guns.

Evelyn

Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 01:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 1 October 7th 04 11:35 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 10th 04 11:56 PM