AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old June 12th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom

Default AG: sometimes I hate being a scofflaw

On 2017-06-11, Joy Beeson wrote:
So I was on a long, straight north-south road, slogging into a high
wind in a very low gear -- and came upon a sign saying "reduce speed
ahead".

I'm not sure that it's even *possible* to ride any slower!

Perhaps my greatest frustration while commuting is riding into a strong
headwind on a slight downgrade and having to pedal hard just to keep moving
forward. Around here, Spring and Fall winds seem to shift such that I
rarely get a tailwind on either leg of the ride...

Tom
Old June 12th 17, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smharding

On 2017-06-11, Joy Beeson wrote:

So I was on a long, straight north-south road, slogging into a high
wind in a very low gear -- and came upon a sign saying "reduce speed
ahead".

I'm not sure that it's even *possible* to ride any slower!

Perhaps my greatest frustration while commuting is riding into a strong
headwind on a slight downgrade and having to pedal hard just to keep moving
forward. Around here, Spring and Fall winds seem to shift such that I
rarely get a tailwind on either leg of the ride...

Tom

Headwinds obviously take some of the joy of riding away. It's somewhat like
doing a continuous climb.

But what always bothered me was more in my head during serious climbs, like
the Rockies/Cascades or Appalachians. One would work so hard heading
towards that pass, slowly gaining altitude, where every down hill didn't represent
a "free ride" but instead, more altitude that had to be made up! One's rebellious
mind would do calculations, knowing that pass was X miles ahead at Y thousands
of feet, and you just lost a couple hundred in that downhill!

The shorter the distance to the pass, my calculating mind would say that height
loss had to be made up over a shorter distance; i.e. a steeper grade to come! I
really came to hate seeing a steep downhill before a pass. Too much altitude
lost with too little gain towards the pass, that had to be made up.

To add insult to the thinking, an automobile, passing you going around a curve
where you *hope* the pass crest resides and your legs are about to enjoy a
nice easy coasting of perhaps some miles on the downhill side of the pass, but
instead, you hear the automatic transmission in the car ahead, that you can no
longer see, kicking down gears!

Not good!

SMH
Old June 17th 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Sometimes two wrongs make a right.

When I got back from last Saturday's windy ride, I threw my do-rag
into a bucket of water and started slicing left-over corned beef and
frying it. I did have perishables in the pannier, but they were on
ice, so I waited until after we had eaten to unpack.

After unpacking, I wanted to throw my jersey into the other bucket,
but my black tights were sweaty too, they had never been washed, and I
don't have a third bucket. So I undressed into the washing machine
and set it for "rinse and spin".

Sunday morning I was horrified to see the "done" light on the washing
machine -- my red bra and my white do-rag may have been pressed
tightly together all night! I started another "rinse and spin" cycle
in case something had started growing in the clothes. When I took
them out, I couldn't find the do-rag.

I'd forgotten to take it out of the bucket and put it in with the
other stuff.

Bearing the above incident in mind after yesterday's ride, I set a
timer to go off every two minutes after I found the washer spinning. I
got the stuff out of the washer a minute or less after it stopped
wringing, and put it all on hangars (except for the do-rag, which I
dry on my brake cable).

I felt pretty smug about not repeating the mistake I'd made before.

But when I started to put on my hat and gloves this morning, I
remembered that I'd put the gloves into a bucket because they were
crusty with salt, and they bleed like a stuck pig.

Which they haven't gotten over yet; the water was quite black. I
poured it off and put fresh water on, then went to get my shabby old
gloves, but I would have had to clean the entire cupboard to find
them, and I'm not at all sure they aren't still in my mending basket,
so I wore my all-plastic winter gloves. (The mesh-back gloves are too
thick to wear under other gloves.)

Today's trip to the farmer's markets was perfunctory, but I did come
back by the Beyer Farm Trail and stop at Owen's for milk and
anchovies. Last Saturday's return was -- pretty much like yesterday's
ride, except that I went north of Winona Lake instead of south of it,
and stopped at Aldi instead of Big R. And crossed 30 on 350 W instead
of Fox Farm. And had a single-decker tostada instead of the
double-decker Taco Bell calls a "Mexican pizza". And got home in time
for supper instead of having french fries at Burger King.

And I got an idea that could have been made into this week's Aunt
Granny post -- if I'd written it down.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old June 17th 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Joy, rather than using a colon in your subject line, could you use an em dash or some such so that you start a distinct thread?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old June 18th 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Hot

On the gravel portion of 300 N, I got off and walked halfway up a hill
that I was handling just fine -- I was bored. That wasn't too long
before I reached the northernmost point of my route and turned south.

All the way from Kohl Plaza to Sprawlmart, I was thinking "oh, man,
I'm not ready for a ride this long, oh, man, I should have made tea
last night; the glassful I had at Taco Bell was too little too late,
oh man, it's way past time for my nap."

After half an hour or so of walking around in Big R, I perked right
up. I wasn't tired, I was fried.

Time to break out the linen clothing, I guess.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Embroidery lessons

It's lucky that I decided to dash out for needles yesterday even
though we used only two needles and what I had on hand would have done
fine.

On the way back, I realized that I had a slow leak in my back tire,
and by the time I got to the Cerulian's parking lot, it was soft
enough that I had to get off and walk. I don't remember why I didn't
backtrack to the Trailhouse and have them change the tube at once. I
think I was short on time.

No time this morning, either; I didn't make more cardboard circles or
cut and fold the extra sewing kits for giving away floss;
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/RUFFTEXT/SEWKIT/SEWKIT6h.JPG didn't
need that, either; our only two customers left so suddenly that
instead of winding their floss neatly, I just cut some and stuffed it
into their bags.

And I forgot to give them ribbons and backing paper. They didn't have
time to choose ribbon color anyway, but they *need* backing paper.
Perhaps I'll make some white papers and put one into each of the
sandwich bags in the envelope. Or the bags are transparent; I could
put a different color of paper into each bag and let them choose which
bag I put their take-home work into.

We had a ball nonetheless, and were shocked when we were told to go
home. Denise is a lot of fun to talk to.

I wonder whether we'd have gotten more business if our shill had
showed up?

Wednesday was a good day for a ride, but I couldn't work myself up to
Mentone and back, or Nappanee-Bremen. Though I did get so far as to
figure out that I could avoid SR 15 (which is desperation-only for the
summer because of work on the bridge over the Tippy) by going to
Bremen instead of Nappanee. But there are no major supermarkets in
Bremen where I can park for a few hours un-noticed. The high point of
the tour is to be an investigation of Rentown Country Store, and I
might well buy something there that I want to keep in a cooler in the
car. And it's small enough that I can tell them why I'm leaving my
car in their lot. Except that it would be the truck, because I can't
get my bike over the ledge in the trunk without help.

So I went to look at the roundabout work on Husky Trail; to my
disappointment, the approaches don't allow for future widening of the
road. But 175 E is only a little farther than 100 E. Came back by
way of Big R because we were almost out of cat food, but they had only
huge bags of Perfect Weight food, so Al is luxuriating in a very small
bag of elderly-cat cat food. But when we put him back on the
weight-control food, he will pig out again; he loves a change of pace.
You'd think he was an omnivore, were it not that he is disgusted by
all human foods, including cheese. He makes a very grudging exception
for liverwurst; perhaps I'll let him sample the liver pate' when I
open it.

Anyhow, when I suited up, my do-rag wasn't on the brake cable where I
dry it after washing it. Oh, ar! It's still in the washing machine!
But it's hot; I won't mind putting it on wet. But it's not in the
washing machine, or anywhere else that I can think of. It was already
late and I didn't want to spend all day hunting my do-rag, so I
borrowed one of Dave's and rode off.

When I got home, my do-rag was still in its second rinse in the
bucket. So I spun it out and hung it on the cable. Dave's do-rag has
a spot on it and should be washed next Monday anyway.

The next time I see a pile-up of traffic in Culver's parking lot, I'll
turn around and go back to Martin's for one of the snacks that I will
have just rejected. A small order of onion rings was *not* worth the
wait. I liked the lemon custard at Ritter's later on. But it made me
long for sweet-cream custard. I haven't tasted sweet-cream ice cream
since my only trip to Union Station (which folded shortly thereafter;
all the shops were looking shops; the only places actually taking in
money were the snack bars).

I think I had some sort of structure in mind when I sat down to write,
but it's past time to brush my teeth and go to bed.