MTBers are their own worst enemy

Old September 12th 16, 04:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default MTBers are their own worst enemy

At 05:10 PM 9/9/2016, [a friend] wrote:
Mountain bikers make other mountain bikers mad by their scofflaw behaviour on the trails... No kidding? Damaged trails photos doesn't stop the riders in the least...

[The implication is that only idiots (read: "other people") do damage. "Good" mountain bikers don't damage anything. Yeah, right.

Mike]

http://bb.nsmb.com/printthread.php?t...1&pp=15&page=2
North Shore Mountain Biking Forums (http://bb.nsmb.com/index.php)
- The Shore (http://bb.nsmb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
- - Seymour riding in the wet (http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=164311)

Ivan 09-09-2016 07:23 PM

Do game cameras and public shaming still work?
We all enjoy a good ride, some people just have to be dickheads and ride trails that are clearly blocked for a reason.
The unfortunate truth is for ever hour spent building a trail 1/2 an hour is spent repairing damage from dickheads.

D(C) 09-09-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan (Post 2926663)
Do game cameras and public shaming still work?
We all enjoy a good ride, some people just have to be dickheads and ride trails that are clearly blocked for a reason.
The unfortunate truth is for ever hour spent building a trail 1/2 an hour is spent repairing damage from dickheads.

I don't know if we quite need to resort to that. My suspicion is that most people don't realize the extent of the damage they're doing.

I think a sign with information similar to what skip posted about the impacts of riding JD in the wet (perhaps with some photos of previous damage) would go a long way toward educating those who spend less time on the forum and trailforks.

grambo 09-09-2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D(C) (Post 2926664)
I don't know if we quite need to resort to that. My suspicion is that most people don't realize the extent of the damage they're doing.

I think a sign with information similar to what skip posted about the impacts of riding JD in the wet (perhaps with some photos of previous damage) would go a long way toward educating those who spend less time on the forum and trailforks.

Agree with this, a large-ish sign maybe showing examples of the damage would help. Sure, there will always be some dickheads that will ride no matter what, but hopefully education reduces the number down.

D(C) 09-09-2016 09:29 PM

That said, JD is the most intermediate-friendly descent option on Seymour, and less experienced riders have likely come to rely on it as an option. Climbing to that point only to be turned away from the only trail they can ride doesn't leave many options. I'm not sure what the solution is, but that's definitely a challenge of keeping people off it during extended wetter weather.

I'm not sure what the politics of this are, but maybe signage should also suggest other intermediate-friendly options such as AA.