A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

new light technology



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 15th 17, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,158
Default new light technology

Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
  #2  
Old March 15th 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,039
Default new light technology

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:27:09 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


And according to the "specifications sheet" whicn can be downloaded,
it only weighs XX.X kg. Which is, if I remember correctly, 20.10 kg.

(Gee, my whole bike only weighs 9.9 kg. :-)


--
Cheers,

John B.

  #3  
Old March 15th 17, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,225
Default new light technology

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:27:09 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know
http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


More like a lens versus a reflector. There are benefits to both. I'll
skip the basics and just mumble something about LED's becoming larger.
If you look at the common white LED itself, you'll probably notice
that the yellow front surface area has become bigger with improvements
in light output. Most of the yellow is phosphor, which radiates
primarily in the forward direction. That's ideal for a lens, which
would "see" all of this light.

The same big LED with a reflector would have most of the light missing
the reflector. (Incidentally, this is why reflectors on LED
flashlights tend to be narrow and quite deep and why most LED
flashlights now use lenses). If you cover the reflector with some
dark cardboard, you'll find that the light is almost as bright as with
the reflector. However, since buyers expect a headlight to include a
reflector, and a reflector does reduce heat transfer to the light
housing, it is included.

The down side of a lens is that it loses up to 15% of the light going
through it, but does make the light go where it's needed and can be
focused.

The next generation of LED lights will no doubt include a photon
torpedo launcher.



--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #4  
Old March 15th 17, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 995
Default new light technology

On 15/03/17 02:27, AMuzi wrote:
Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


It's a lens. That said, the beam pattern looks very similar to to the
B+M IQ-X with the same lumens, but a lot cheaper. Also, no running
light which annoys the hell out of me on my IQ-X because it powers the
back light as well. I mean, why bother with an off switch!?

  #5  
Old March 15th 17, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default new light technology

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:27:10 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


~200 lumens seems to be the STVZO physical limit for 1 led with any other approach than mine, and that still doesn't say what the distribution is. I'm at 500+ so far filling out the whole STVZO beam target almost evenly, in a smaller space making the same or less heat.
What's their price?
  #6  
Old March 15th 17, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default new light technology

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:27:09 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know
http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


More like a lens versus a reflector. There are benefits to both. I'll
skip the basics


You shouldn't.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=h-black+pro

Mid-field looks too bright and transitions don't look smooth. Not going to
buy one.

  #7  
Old March 15th 17, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,238
Default new light technology

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 5:40:32 AM UTC-4, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 20:27:09 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know
http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


More like a lens versus a reflector. There are benefits to both. I'll
skip the basics


You shouldn't.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=h-black+pro

Mid-field looks too bright and transitions don't look smooth. Not going to
buy one.


The light pattern omn the road looks a lot like a flashlight pattern and does not seem to be aimed very far ahead of the bicycle.

Cheers
  #8  
Old March 15th 17, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,365
Default new light technology

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 1:27:10 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


Herrmans is a Finnish component company with a really good name among the better German baukasten for well-priced good quality parts. You can see their good value grips, often uncredited, as the standard fitment on the sort of bikes where leather grips from Brooks might be an option. I have several pairs taken off my bikes to fit the Brooks edge-on leather-ring grips instead.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4723

Despite Jeff's explanation, and without having spent too much time looking into it (the Iditarod is still in the end-phases, see http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/ ), this Herrmans lamp's gubbins seems to me a variation on the BUMM LED shining backwards into some kind of a shaped reflector as in the CYO and FLY, of which I have several, which were the first decent consumer-type hub-drive lamps (i.e. not specialist lamps) -- still not fabulous, but adequate (which one couldn't say for the previous BUMM lamps the resident BUMMbuddies obsessed over, and abused me for when I pointed out their shortcomings).

To answer Barry's question about how much, I don't know, but I would expect a Herrmans component to undercut the German equivalent, so cheaper than the BUMM and top Dutch lamps. They're not intended for your market at all, in fact, they're in a mass market, not the sort of niche you inhabit.

In any event, I wonder if they have the marketing clout, or the interest, to distribute in the States. The reason you don't see a lot of European component makers in the States is not that they can't compete -- they're killer competitors when they want to be -- but because they don't grasp the point: see, their natural base market is OEM sales to European makers of fully equipped bikes, a class that hardly exists in the States. Their product managers would throw a conniption fit if they had to sell their gear, for their base bread and butter, one unit at a time to consumers, as happens too often in the States, a very wasteful process as Scharfie keeps pointing out (and not making headway because that wretchedly ignorant clown Frank Krygowski keeps running interference).

Andre Jute
By comparison with the Bentley, it is shameful how far short of adequacy a Mercedes falls. -- LJK Straight

  #9  
Old March 15th 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 770
Default new light technology

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 6:15:01 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 1:27:10 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing.
I don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


Herrmans is a Finnish component company with a really good name among the better German baukasten for well-priced good quality parts. You can see their good value grips, often uncredited, as the standard fitment on the sort of bikes where leather grips from Brooks might be an option. I have several pairs taken off my bikes to fit the Brooks edge-on leather-ring grips instead.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4723

Despite Jeff's explanation, and without having spent too much time looking into it (the Iditarod is still in the end-phases, see http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/ ), this Herrmans lamp's gubbins seems to me a variation on the BUMM LED shining backwards into some kind of a shaped reflector as in the CYO and FLY, of which I have several, which were the first decent consumer-type hub-drive lamps (i.e. not specialist lamps) -- still not fabulous, but adequate (which one couldn't say for the previous BUMM lamps the resident BUMMbuddies obsessed over, and abused me for when I pointed out their shortcomings).

To answer Barry's question about how much, I don't know, but I would expect a Herrmans component to undercut the German equivalent, so cheaper than the BUMM and top Dutch lamps. They're not intended for your market at all, in fact, they're in a mass market, not the sort of niche you inhabit.

In any event, I wonder if they have the marketing clout, or the interest, to distribute in the States. The reason you don't see a lot of European component makers in the States is not that they can't compete -- they're killer competitors when they want to be -- but because they don't grasp the point: see, their natural base market is OEM sales to European makers of fully equipped bikes, a class that hardly exists in the States. Their product managers would throw a conniption fit if they had to sell their gear, for their base bread and butter, one unit at a time to consumers, as happens too often in the States, a very wasteful process as Scharfie keeps pointing out (and not making headway because that wretchedly ignorant clown Frank Krygowski keeps running interference).

Andre Jute
By comparison with the Bentley, it is shameful how far short of adequacy a Mercedes falls. -- LJK Straight


That's "LJK Setright"

  #10  
Old March 15th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 995
Default new light technology

On 15/03/17 07:33, Barry Beams wrote:
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:27:10 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Claims 'projector' lensing as opposed to 'reflector' lensing. I
don't know

http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english...?familyId=2209


-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1
April, 1971


~200 lumens seems to be the STVZO physical limit for 1 led with any
other approach than mine, and that still doesn't say what the
distribution is. I'm at 500+ so far filling out the whole STVZO beam
target almost evenly, in a smaller space making the same or less
heat. What's their price?


About 70 euros.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet More Technology John B. Techniques 189 August 24th 15 01:25 AM
New helmet technology? [email protected] Techniques 15 March 4th 12 05:41 AM
RAAM technology [email protected] Racing 5 June 4th 10 12:24 AM
Devices for cyclists to talk to each other? Do they exist? (I'm thinking ultra-light, "blu-tooth" type technology...) ship UK 44 March 15th 05 09:31 AM
seat technology muniracer Unicycling 4 December 2nd 03 05:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.