One Way To Avoid Motorists

Old June 29th 19, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default One Way To Avoid Motorists

Dad came from a railroading town and he also encouraged cycling. He wrote an article or 2 about rail cycling although he never tried it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

Old June 29th 19, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 07:04:50 GMT, Bret Cahill
wrote:

Dad came from a railroading town and he also encouraged cycling. He
wrote an article or 2 about rail cycling although he never tried it
himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

Looks great! Lets have a URC old codgers trip; could be life-changing for
Mr Pounder.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old June 29th 19, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 29/06/2019 08:04, Bret Cahill wrote:
Dad came from a railroading town and he also encouraged cycling. He wrote an article or 2 about rail cycling although he never tried it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

Amazing, thanks!

--
Cheers, Rob
Old June 29th 19, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Dad came from a railroading town and he also encouraged cycling. He
wrote an article or 2 about rail cycling although he never tried it
himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

Looks great! Lets have a URC old codgers trip; could be life-changing for
Mr Pounder.

When we get _really_ old we'll tow a 10 m PV flat car behind an e-recumbent. If we fell asleep and didn't wake up it might be a few days before our bodies passed through an inhabited section of track.

If it weren't for the anti-social aspect of putrid flesh that might be an appealing way to go. As with ghost ships they can't really pin point when or where you died.

Old June 29th 19, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 17:29:47 GMT, Bret Cahill
wrote:

Dad came from a railroading town and he also encouraged cycling.
He wrote an article or 2 about rail cycling although he never tried
it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

Looks great! Lets have a URC old codgers trip; could be life-changing
for Mr Pounder.

When we get _really_ old we'll tow a 10 m PV flat car behind an
e-recumbent. If we fell asleep and didn't wake up it might be a few
days before our bodies passed through an inhabited section of track.

If it weren't for the anti-social aspect of putrid flesh that might be
an appealing way to go. As with ghost ships they can't really pin
point when or where you died.

Film Title: Dead Men Cycling!

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old February 13th 20, 02:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

When looking at the outrigger attachments it's hard to overlook the fact that a lot of cyclists can more or less keep the front wheel on a very narrow path while maintaining +/- 2 degrees from vertical. If I feel like I have my surfing mojo -- "will to power" or "divine grace" as some philosophers call it -- back I will often see how far I can get on a curb top, not much wider than RR rail. Eliminate the outrigger and turn this into a competition and cyclists will appear who can go pretty much go forever riding on a single RR rail without any attachments whatsoever -- almost as many hits as a good cat video.

A bike isn't a high speed locomotive with a high center of gravity on a sharp turn.

Cyclists don't need 2 rails. The outrigger isn't necessary.

After decades I finally did the free body diagram and ~ 40 N-m torque is all that is necessary to keep a lot cyclists upright on a single rail with very little skill. The adapter should fit in a grocery shopping bag if not a seat bag.

The only problem with this idea is the welds along the vertical sides of welded rail -- where the adapter wheels would go -- aren't ground off. They stick out over 1 cm.

Bolted rail is far worse.

The adapter needs to roll over the welds without the front wheel literally going "off track."

Bret Cahill

Old February 14th 20, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Something less anti-social:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/if-you...ail-could-make

How to avoid going over the handlebars. Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 6 December 30th 12 12:10 PM
Something else to avoid Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 36 September 21st 11 09:17 AM
Something to avoid Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 63 September 20th 11 04:25 PM
avoid pacelines Callistus Valerius Techniques 24 August 2nd 06 11:52 PM
How to avoid a SMIDSY wafflycat General 5 December 16th 05 06:11 PM