Calls for SUVs to be BANNED from towns and cities to reducepedestrian and cyclist deaths

Old February 9th 20, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Calls for SUVs to be BANNED from towns and cities to reduce pedestrian and cyclist deaths

TMS320 wrote:
On 09/02/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 08/02/2020 18:24, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/02/2020 17:39, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: A European safety council wants SUVs banned from towns and
cities as part of efforts to cut the number of pedestrians and
cyclists being killed.

Lovely idea. But what is a the definition of an SUV?

However, crash test experts at Euro NCAP and Thatcham have hit back
at the suggestion, stating that whilst SUVs are generally heavier,
they 'do not necessarily present a greater threat to pedestrian and
cyclist safety'.

Based on tests with dummies...

...otherwise known as militant cyclists?

What's a militant cyclist?

Those that come blasting towards me on the footpath and tell me to **** off
when I obstruct them. Not one of the cowards has dared to face me down.

Old February 9th 20, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/02/2020 11:36, TMS320 wrote:

On 09/02/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 08/02/2020 18:24, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/02/2020 17:39, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: A European safety council wants SUVs banned from towns and
cities as part of efforts to cut the number of pedestrians and
cyclists being killed.

Lovely idea. But what is a the definition of an SUV?

However, crash test experts at Euro NCAP and Thatcham have hit back
at the suggestion, stating that whilst SUVs are generally heavier,
they 'do not necessarily present a greater threat to pedestrian and
cyclist safety'.

Based on tests with dummies...

...otherwise known as militant cyclists?

What's a militant cyclist?

Someone has given you an example.

There are more of which you already are well aware, Polly.

Old February 9th 20, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 5:52:02 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:

What's a militant cyclist?

Those that come blasting towards me on the footpath and tell me to **** off
when I obstruct them. Not one of the cowards has dared to face me down.

Maybe they spot your hidden offensive weapon?
Old February 9th 20, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

TMS320 wrote:

Not one of the cowards has dared to face me down.

Also, you are nearly 70, so they probably are taking pity on you.

Old February 9th 20, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

TMS320 wrote:

What's a militant cyclist?

Those that come blasting towards me on the footpath and tell me to **** off
when I obstruct them. Not one of the cowards has dared to face me down.

This is what happens if you did.

QUOTE:
A PENSIONER will pay almost £1,000 to a cyclist he “pushed” over on a busy road leaving him with a black eye and stitches.

Hugh McDaid, 69, from Uffington Drive in Harmans Water, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm having confronted the undertaking cyclist on the morning of August 8, 2018.

Reading Crown Court heard how McDaid “jumped out” of his HGV lorry, “spread his arms outward” and “pushed” the cyclist, Mr Valentine, who was “travelling at speed” on his bike as he was heading to work in Slough.

Following the crash, Michael Mason, prosecuting, said Mr Valentine was bleeding from his face, arms and legs and suffered abrasions to a knee.

The cyclist also had a black eye, needed stitches to the chin and fractured his sternum.

He needed to attend therapy after suffering from stress and missed two weeks of work. Mr Mason said the cyclist “did not do anything to provoke the driver”.

Footage played to the court showed the moment McDaid got out of his lorry “to speak to the cyclist to prevent injuries” after Mr Valentine tried to “squeeze between his lorry and another car”. Defending, Lucy Tapper said McDaid was of “good character” with “no prior convictions” and this incident was “isolated”.

It was revealed Mr Valentine had said in a statement he did not wish to see McDaid go to prison.

Summing up, Judge Kirsty Real said: “Mr McDaid is not going to prison today.

“I accept you didn’t set out to cause harm to Mr Valentine..

“But it was a completely reckless act and Mr Valentine had to be treated in hospital.

“You have expressed genuine remorse and I see this has taken its own personal toll on you.”

McDaid was sentenced to a 12-month community order and will have to attend 15 rehabilitation activity days.

The 69-year-old will also have to pay £800 compensation to Mr Valentine and £420 in prosecution costs.

The sentencing took place at Reading Crown Court on Friday, February 7.

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news...-over-cyclist/
Old February 9th 20, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 17:52:02 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 09/02/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 08/02/2020 18:24, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/02/2020 17:39, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: A European safety council wants SUVs banned from towns and
cities as part of efforts to cut the number of pedestrians and
cyclists being killed.

Lovely idea. But what is a the definition of an SUV?

However, crash test experts at Euro NCAP and Thatcham have hit back
at the suggestion, stating that whilst SUVs are generally heavier,
they 'do not necessarily present a greater threat to pedestrian and
cyclist safety'.

Based on tests with dummies...

...otherwise known as militant cyclists?

What's a militant cyclist?

Those that come blasting towards me on the footpath and tell me to **** off
when I obstruct them. Not one of the cowards has dared to face me down.

Is your mobility scooter pavement legal and do you have insurance for it?
Old February 9th 20, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 09/02/2020 18:11, JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2020 11:36, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/02/2020 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 08/02/2020 18:24, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/02/2020 17:39, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: A European safety council wants SUVs banned from towns and
cities as part of efforts to cut the number of pedestrians and
cyclists being killed.

Lovely idea. But what is a the definition of an SUV?

However, crash test experts at Euro NCAP and Thatcham have hit back
at the suggestion, stating that whilst SUVs are generally heavier,
they 'do not necessarily present a greater threat to pedestrian and
cyclist safety'.

Based on tests with dummies...

...otherwise known as militant cyclists?

What's a militant cyclist?

Someone has given you an example.

Someone else's experience of the effect of deliberate provocation. Is
that the best you can manage?

There are more of which you already are well aware, Polly.

Remind me (as a driver and pedestrian with a few years experience) about
some of the things I should have noticed on my travels by now.
Old February 9th 20, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Have you always been a prat?

Old February 9th 20, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Just answer the question.
Old February 9th 20, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

I don't have one.
Please answer my question.

Cars Banned From French Cities Bret Cahill UK 0 August 7th 18 04:10 AM
No cyclist deaths at all in NI in 2015 Alycidon UK 2 December 25th 15 10:30 AM
Sheffield cyclist calls for better signage Simon Mason UK 9 February 2nd 12 08:54 PM
95% of cyclist deaths? LSMike UK 8 May 12th 08 03:24 PM
Racing cyclist deaths [email protected] Racing 2 September 5th 05 07:06 PM