Removing a stuck crank?

Old October 7th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RF

Default Removing a stuck crank?

Hi Experts,

I want to clean out and regrease the crank bearings of my bike. However,
one crank is really stuck. I forced a steel wedge in behind the hub of
the crank with a hammer but it won't budge.

It might be possible to whack the axle that joins the cranks, but I
doubt that the ball bearings would like it.

Is there a puller for these, just like a pulley puller?

TIA

RF
Old October 8th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 7, 5:26 pm, RF wrote:
Hi Experts,

I want to clean out and regrease the crank bearings of my bike. However,
one crank is really stuck. I forced a steel wedge in behind the hub of
the crank with a hammer but it won't budge.

It might be possible to whack the axle that joins the cranks, but I
doubt that the ball bearings would like it.

Is there a puller for these, just like a pulley puller?

yes:

http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

Old October 8th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

RF wrote:
Hi Experts,

I want to clean out and regrease the crank bearings of my bike. However,
one crank is really stuck. I forced a steel wedge in behind the hub of
the crank with a hammer but it won't budge.

It might be possible to whack the axle that joins the cranks, but I
doubt that the ball bearings would like it.

Is there a puller for these, just like a pulley puller?

If it is a right with a classic loose-ball BB, yes, it is possible to
remove the left crank and left cup then screw in a scrap m8x1 bolt and
smack the spindle out while the crank rests on the right cup. Watch for
chainring on chainstay if you try that.

A left may be removed with cup and spindle complete and similarly bashed
apart over a vise. A heat gun may be helpful.

I'd consider that a 'last option' when nothing else has moved it and as
noted on many setups it cannot be done at all.

Have you tried a good crank puller firmly mounted in clean threads and
with oil on the puller's bolt? A heat gun and/or tapping the side of the
arm while the crank puller is tight may help.

Wedging an arm off with a auto tie rod 'fork' can be done. We find the
tool's slope is to steep as delivered, lower (file, disc grinder) the
angle if you can.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old October 8th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
yes:
http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

I was impressed that a Campagnolo ACH is shown as the archetype! Cool!
Old October 8th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

landotter wrote:
yes:!!
http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

I was impressed that a Campagnolo ACH is shown as the archetype! Cool!

Stronglight was also represented. I suggest a pirouette!

Old October 9th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RF

A Muzi wrote:
RF wrote:
[...]

My thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Landotter, those were very good pictures and, while viewing them, I
vaguely remembered having bought a puller. I rooted through my bike
drawer and sure enough I unearthed one. It has the brand " Sugino, Chain
Wheel" and it worked extremely well. I had both cranks off in less than
10 mins. What the right tools can do! :-)

Thanks again.

RF