Shorts for riding?

Old April 2nd 05, 04:34 AM
Chuck Anderson

Default Shorts for riding?

I still prefer to wear a plain cotton hiking short when riding, but have
been wearing padded, lycra bib knickers throughout the winter. I also
have padded cycling shorts, but I'd rather find something more to my
liking as the weather is getting warmer again.

Can anyone recommend anything that is looser fitting and shorter than
the normal lycra, paneled and padded cycling shorts?

My previous pair of hiking shorts that I preferred wearing for riding
have finally gotten too worn to be worn in public anymore. I haven't
been able to find a cotton hiking short to my liking in about ten years
now. I can't stand the long baggie shorts that seem to be the only
thing stores carry anymore. And I hate accessories like built-in
plastic buckles and deep cargo pockets.

Perhaps a mountain biking short? Anyone know of a good hiking, or
mountain biking short - something plain and suitable for a lo-tech retro
kind of rider like me (it doesn't need to be seamless in the rear or
have any padding)?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old April 6th 05, 01:40 AM

Cripes, Chuck, with all your experience, you should be telling US what
to do!

Me, I usually buy cheap, but 100% cotton shorts at the Salvation Army
store. Wash 'em in the shower by stomping on 'em. When they get too
bad, through 'em away and find another used clothing store.

But you're right on the point about avoiding multi-pockets, plastic
buckles or other things that just get in the way.

--
Bob Kastigar;
Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga Work: http://www.wgntv.com

"Sweet Old Bob" (or just the initials)

Shorts John Hearns UK 2 March 25th 05 11:50 AM
Bike shorts with high "rise" Michael Press General 5 June 23rd 04 04:38 PM
Speaking of Bike Shorts ChiliDipper General 32 September 24th 03 08:21 PM
Riding Shorts: Why not liners separate from shorts? (Pete Cresswell) Techniques 6 September 15th 03 09:45 PM
Pearl Izumi Microsensor Shorts (long) Pat General 0 August 17th 03 02:10 AM