A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 8th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 80
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert


I only did about 35 Km yesterday, but, in my defence, the weather was off-putting. I was astride my 1972 Torpado Strada with its still mostly Nuovo Record gruppo.
--
Andrew Chaplin
Ads
  #12  
Old May 8th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,868
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:06:05 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert


I only did about 35 Km yesterday, but, in my defence, the weather was off-putting. I was astride my 1972 Torpado Strada with its still mostly Nuovo Record gruppo.
--
Andrew Chaplin


I'm probably older than most of you accepting Frank. But I have a 10 speed campy group on an early 90's Eddy Merckx that I sure would trade for an old piece of junk for which spare parts are only available by accident.
  #13  
Old May 8th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,900
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On 08/05/2017 12:06 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert


I only did about 35 Km yesterday, but, in my defence, the weather was off-putting. I was astride my 1972 Torpado Strada with its still mostly Nuovo Record gruppo.
--
Andrew Chaplin


If I wanted to ride yesterday, I would have needed a canoe. It's
looking worse today and now we're getting sleet.
  #14  
Old May 8th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,868
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:54:26 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
On 08/05/2017 12:06 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert


I only did about 35 Km yesterday, but, in my defence, the weather was off-putting. I was astride my 1972 Torpado Strada with its still mostly Nuovo Record gruppo.
--
Andrew Chaplin


If I wanted to ride yesterday, I would have needed a canoe. It's
looking worse today and now we're getting sleet.


I thought it somewhat comical that they thought that Hollywood to-do was messed up by rain and sleet. Actually it was slime since that's all that's left in Hollywood.

Instead of visualized stories we get sound bits. Instead of actors we get who is wearing the least clothes.

Now for a nice bike ride.
  #15  
Old May 8th 17, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,552
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 10:56:11 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-05-08 04:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette.
Duh.

robert


It's pretty amazing how well a lot of the 1980s (or a lot earlier)
stuff still works if it's maintained reasnonably well rather than
abused. I have a bicycle with the old Shimano 600 EX stuff on it
including the scallop headset and I never have problems with it.



And if that choice words deleted scalloped headset shakes loose all
the time there is a solution which works to this day on my road bike:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG


I have NEVER needed to resort to the use of a hoseclamp on any headset on any of my bicycles.

At some point in time either you or a shop did something that knackered your top nut on your 600EX headset.

Cheers
  #18  
Old May 8th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,241
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:06:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:



It's no surprise that not only have they survived but they still work almost as well as new.



The problem is even when new, the old stuff did not work nearly as well as any of the new stuff today. Kind of like a fool saying the drum brakes and carburetor on his 65 Pontiac was better than the new fancy dandy computer cars today.
  #19  
Old May 8th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,292
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On 2017-05-08 10:55, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 10:56:11 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-05-08 04:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette.
Duh.

robert

It's pretty amazing how well a lot of the 1980s (or a lot earlier)
stuff still works if it's maintained reasnonably well rather than
abused. I have a bicycle with the old Shimano 600 EX stuff on it
including the scallop headset and I never have problems with it.



And if that choice words deleted scalloped headset shakes loose all
the time there is a solution which works to this day on my road bike:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG


I have NEVER needed to resort to the use of a hoseclamp on any headset on any of my bicycles.


You probably only ride on fairly smooth asphalt. I have a share of dirt
and other rough turf during most of my rides. The countering action of
the top nut just ain't sufficient for that no matter how hard it is torqued.


At some point in time either you or a shop did something that knackered your top nut on your 600EX headset.


I am not the only one who has that problem. Except the others eventually
didn't have the bikes anymore, which "fixed" it for them. I keep
technical things for a long time.

Anyhow, the hose clamp fixes it for me. When I get around to it I'll put
in a new non-600 headset.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #20  
Old May 8th 17, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,868
Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:33:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:06:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:



It's no surprise that not only have they survived but they still work almost as well as new.



The problem is even when new, the old stuff did not work nearly as well as any of the new stuff today. Kind of like a fool saying the drum brakes and carburetor on his 65 Pontiac was better than the new fancy dandy computer cars today.


Well, it's all in the viewpoint. You can have a 5 speed with original bearings in the wheels and bottom bracket and the original 5 speed chain barely worn.

But the technology advanced as it is today hardly lets you get a couple of thousand miles on a chain. The sealed bearings last forever but you can't replace one failed ball. The rings and cogs wear out so fast you have to keep replacement on file. The lower end shifters simply stop working.

The lock bolt on the shift wire breaks off regularly enough that you can't forget how to do a rapid repair.

Is the newer equipment better? Certainly. But there's something that can be said about reliability.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Campy hoods for Nuovo Record or Super Record fit on late80s/early 90s levers? seattlerowe Techniques 10 December 6th 09 03:47 PM
campy vintage parts, set of brakes, rear derailleur super record,colnago campy seat post [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 16th 09 02:43 PM
FA: Campy Record-Mavic Open Pro for Shimano or Campy - 1 day left RodQ Marketplace 0 May 24th 06 11:15 PM
FA: Campy Record-Mavic Open Pro for Shimano or Campy RodQ Marketplace 0 May 21st 06 01:40 AM
Campy Record Brakes & Campy Chorus 9-spd Cassette on e-bay Joe Galloway Marketplace 0 February 28th 05 02:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.