Buy that wheelbuilder a drink!

Old September 26th 18, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Buy that wheelbuilder a drink!

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 26th 18, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/25/2018 8:05 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!

Not bad! But that car's half plastic. A Jobst-built wheel would do that
to a 1960 Pontiac bumper!

(Just kidding.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!

Joerg should take note of those tires. Not even flat.

--
duane
Old September 26th 18, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Duane wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!

Joerg should take note of those tires. Not even flat.

The plastic car's, you mean?

Old September 26th 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:05:55 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/...7819759698.jpg

Nice job!

Impressive, but also slightly misleading. The mangled plastic or
vinyl "bumper cover" is mostly cosmetic, not structural. Behind it is
a rectangular cross section pipe that serves as the real bumper. Any
impact is absorbed by either shock absorbers, or blocks of foam. The
other function of the bumper cover is to ride up and over anything it
hits. Hitting a high curb or another car transfers less energy if the
car rides up and over whatever was hit. That's my guess(tm) what
happened here. The bumper cover was in the process of riding up and
over the bicycle rear wheel. Apparently, there was enough crush depth
in the bumper cover to not lift the front to the car off the ground.
Had that happened, methinks the rear bicycle wheel would have potato
chipped or been squashed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 27th 18, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:12:40 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Also if you look at it you can see that the rear wheel on the fixy is mangled and the spokes are broken.
Old September 27th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 16:23:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I beg to differ. The rear wheel looks fine although the rear tire is
flat. It's kinda difficult to see all the spokes, so I did some image
enhancement (contrast and gamma) to favor the spokes and reversed the
colors to make the spokes easier to see. In my never humble opinion,
all the spokes look intact:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/fixie-crunch.jpg
Which spokes are broken?

Old September 27th 18, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

The tire doesn’t look flat to me. Not even on the bottom.

--
duane
Old September 27th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:52:11 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/24/21/4517082-6202141-One_man_was_spotted_in_despair_after_his_car_was_b adly_damaged_b-a-200_1537819759698.jpg

The tire doesn’t look flat to me. Not even on the bottom.

Try looking at the original Daily Mail photo. Here's a 4X enlargement
of the tire contact area:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/fixie-crunch-02.jpg
It might not be flat, but rather the weight of the vehicle might be
pushing down on the rear wheel. Or, it might be an indication of a
Photoshop edit. The tire doesn't look quite right to be a flat tire,
which would show parts of the tire pushed outward to both sides of the
contact area. However, I'm not familiar with that style of rim, so I
don't know how the tube and tire will act when flat.