Good Deal?

Old January 23rd 06, 05:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good Deal?

http://www.shuttlebike.com/SHUTTLE-B...he%20Story.htm

I wrote Shuttle Bike and just thought I should share the info:

Its pontoons got upgraded to double-chamber pontoons (so -- God forbid!
-- a puncture in the front of one doesn't lead to total leakage and
collapse), and it's available until the end of this month for
US$890.00, freight inclusive!

Unfortunately, they seem like they only do wire transfers and
PayPal....

Does this thing look like it might fit a 'bent -- say an SMGTe??

But I'd be a little concerned about weight distribution...!

I'll write 'em again and see.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

In article .com, NYC
XYZ ) wrote:

http://www.shuttlebike.com/SHUTTLE-B...he%20Story.htm

Does this thing look like it might fit a 'bent -- say an SMGTe??

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of one underneath a Speed
Ross, so I imagine it would.

Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.
Old January 23rd 06, 06:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

NYC XYZ wrote:
http://www.shuttlebike.com/SHUTTLE-B...he%20Story.htm

I wrote Shuttle Bike and just thought I should share the info:

Its pontoons got upgraded to double-chamber pontoons (so -- God forbid!
-- a puncture in the front of one doesn't lead to total leakage and
collapse), and it's available until the end of this month for
US$890.00, freight inclusive!

Unfortunately, they seem like they only do wire transfers and
PayPal....

Does this thing look like it might fit a 'bent -- say an SMGTe??

But I'd be a little concerned about weight distribution...!

I'll write 'em again and see.

You can buy decent quality "tupperware" type kayaks for less than $890.
Or more too. They are actually designed for water. Based on
centuries and centuries and centuries of experience. And are enjoyable
to use. Easily maneuverable and can be pretty fast too. You get a
good upper body workout too. Easy to transport if you already have a
roof top bike rack. Assuming you do not get the very long kayaks. I
do recommend getting a kayak with a foot controlled rudder. Much
easier to steer than with the paddle alone.

The thing you linked to seems pointless.

Old January 23rd 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
NYC XYZ wrote:
[...]

It doesn't seem pointless to me. The whole shebang packs down into a
backpack so you can ride out to a lake or something, and go have a
spin. It is of course, not a substitute for a kayak, but it opens up
new possibilities for bike "rides".

Joseph

Old January 23rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

NYC XYZ wrote:
wrote:

You can buy decent quality "tupperware" type kayaks for less than $890.

Oh, I know that! But who wants tupperware.

Actually, I've got the Sea Eagle PaddleSki myself -- not tupperware,
though not high-end, either (and it's an inflatable -- major demerits
with 'yak purists).

Now that Hobie Cat Mirage Tandem...woo-hoo!

Or more too. They are actually designed for water. Based on
centuries and centuries and centuries of experience. And are enjoyable
to use. Easily maneuverable and can be pretty fast too. You get a
good upper body workout too. Easy to transport if you already have a
roof top bike rack. Assuming you do not get the very long kayaks. I
do recommend getting a kayak with a foot controlled rudder. Much
easier to steer than with the paddle alone.

The thing you linked to seems pointless.

I'm not sure I understand you...this is a great thing to have along on
a real major self-supported tour, don't you think? Just pump one up
(by pedaling, no less!) and you cross the water just like that.

Why is it everyone on the internet is bicycle touring in the most
remote parts of the world? But if crossing a body of water, safely and
easily, with your bike and gear is what you are after, why not just
take along a small, simple inflatible raft/boat. Smaller packing size
and lighter than this pedal thing. And folding/collapsible/take apart
paddles are readily available. Even made of carbon fiber. And the
inflatible raft/boat would be cheaper too. And more maneuverable
because you have a paddle to steer with. And simpler since there are
no moving parts.

I was actually thinking one might have to carry around a $3K First
Light 22-lb. folding kayak, but this seems even more ideal!

With a true folding kayak you can use the waterways as a road to
explore on your remote major bicycle tour. Safely. Folding kayaks
like the Klepper are built as real kayaks. Just like touring bicycles
are built for touring with racks and such on them. They can haul heavy
loads safely. Put your Klepper or other real folding kayak in a BOB
trailer, along with your gear in the trailer and in panniers, and you
can go about anywhere, safely. Not so with that paddle thing referred
to in the link. If you are really going on a real major self-supported
tour, this would be the way to do it. Not with gimmicky mickey mouse
stuff.

Old January 23rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Why is it everyone on the internet is bicycle touring in the most
remote parts of the world?

Probably 'cause the typical internet user lives in an urban area?

But I'm not sure why you ask; I'm afraid I'm only good for local trips!

But if crossing a body of water, safely and
easily, with your bike and gear is what you are after, why not just
take along a small, simple inflatible raft/boat.

Well, this is much smaller than any inflatable, don't you think? Much
more compact, too, and would utilize the bike itself -- pedaling seems
more powerful than paddling!

Smaller packing size
and lighter than this pedal thing.

HUH????

The lightest folding kayak I know of is one of those by First Light of
Australia -- and even then toting along the bike will be a hassle --
and that's $3K! I'd still like to own that one day, but there's just
no competition at US$895, shipped!

And folding/collapsible/take apart
paddles are readily available. Even made of carbon fiber. And the
inflatible raft/boat would be cheaper too. And more maneuverable
because you have a paddle to steer with. And simpler since there are
no moving parts.

I love kayaking, but I'm not sure how you argue that any inflatable
could possibly compete against this Shuttle Bike product.

It's cheaper, it's more compact, it sets up more quickly, it solves the
problem of what to do with the bike, which is a
two-birds-with-one-stone solution because it utilizes the bike and
cruises faster!

With a true folding kayak you can use the waterways as a road to
explore on your remote major bicycle tour. Safely. Folding kayaks
like the Klepper are built as real kayaks. Just like touring bicycles
are built for touring with racks and such on them. They can haul heavy
loads safely. Put your Klepper or other real folding kayak in a BOB
trailer, along with your gear in the trailer and in panniers, and you
can go about anywhere, safely. Not so with that paddle thing referred
to in the link.

I honestly don't understand how you can claim all that -- why drag
along a BOB trailer when this thing fits in a backpack? And why mount
a bike across the bow when this Shuttle Bike design incorporates the
bike into the whole experience? Indeed, it literally extends the
concept of a bicycle! And it's cheaper, etc.

You mean you'd prefer toting around a boat while biking and a bike
while boating??

If you are really going on a real major self-supported
tour, this would be the way to do it. Not with gimmicky mickey mouse
stuff.

But they've crossed the English Channel with this! Not to mention the
Messina Straits between Sicily and the Italian mainland, etc.

Old January 23rd 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

and watch out for the gators!

Old January 24th 06, 04:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

....used by anyone: you do not have to be either an expert biker or swimmer.....

Do not have to be an expert swimmer! Surely you jest! The CG height to
width ratio has to be far worse that any boat around in which one
expects to stay dry.
I dearly hope that anyone who sets out on it, is an expert swimmer or
is wearing a buoyancy device.
I really don't mind what anyone does, including jumping off bridges
with or without a parachute, but please don't believe that the device
pictured in the OP is stable in white caps & wind.

Good Luck, John

Old January 24th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech

john wrote:
....used by anyone: you do not have to be either an expert biker or swimmer.....

You know, googlegroups does this a lot nowadays..."and who is 'john'
when he's at home?"

Do not have to be an expert swimmer! Surely you jest! The CG height to
width ratio has to be far worse that any boat around in which one
expects to stay dry.

I'm sure there will be a lot of splashing around, unfortunately, since
these are City waters we're talking about.

I dearly hope that anyone who sets out on it, is an expert swimmer or
is wearing a buoyancy device.

Of course a Class III FD will be worn! Though I do wonder if that can
"guarantee" safety (undertows, etc.).

I really don't mind what anyone does, including jumping off bridges
with or without a parachute, but please don't believe that the device
pictured in the OP is stable in white caps & wind.

Well, this is why I'm asking: the company claims that this thing's been
used to cross the English Channel, the Straits of Messina, etc. I'm
sure you don't go white-water with it, but those feats sound fairly
impressive.

Good Luck, John

Erratum:

1) I'd mistakenly wrote, in an earlier post, that the whole package
would be lighter than a First Light folding kayak. Actually, the First
Lights are like ~22 lbs., whereas this kit is ~27 lbs.