OUCH

Old March 11th 11, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default OUCH

"al Mossah" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 7:34 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

On a bike, there becomes a point of no return when you just have to
trust that the driver has seen you and will give way. Once you have
passed that point you are in their hands, unless you assume nobody
ever sees you and you pull up at every give way point "just in case"
which will no doubt aggravate the situation even more and annoy the
people behind you.

--
Simon Mason

This point of no return exists for cars as well; there comes a time
when approaching such a junction, one has to trust that the other guy
is going to do the right thing.

In this case I'd say that the driver was 100% responsible for the
collision.

The police would tend to agree. According to the guy who was hit, the police
were happy to have the video and think that it is, in their words, pretty
"clear cut". His insurance is going through and he is getting his confidence
back. Hopefully the driver will have learned a lesson.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 11th 11, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 11/03/2011 08:46, Simon Mason wrote:

"al Mossah" wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

That is probably the right outcome within those aspects of the case.

That is not to say that the whole incident could not have been avoided or
that an alternative approach (which would have reduced the danger) should not
have been resorted to.

What that car-driver did happens countless times every day. It (or other
things very like it) certainly happened within my sight several times
yesterday. It does not usually result in a collision.

[* It just shows you what a pitfall terms can sometimes present. The "guy"
who was hit was actually the driver, who placed his vehicle in the path of
the other "guy". Perhaps "the guy who was injured" is clearere here.]
Old March 11th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 10/03/2011 21:00, Tom Crispin wrote:

wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

Look, I like cyclists as much as you do.
The car pulled out in front of him.

yes it did, and a competent road user would not have collided with
it.

You would rather be provocative than accurate? Fair enough.

not at all. any competent road user would not have hit that car.

To be fair, that's imponderable. Maybe they would, maybe not.
I would still have expected a sufficiently cautious traveller to make a
serious attempt to slow, stop or change direction.

It appears to me that the cyclist did attempt to change direction, but
it was too little, too late.

If you managed to discern that at all, I defer to you on it, but the attempt
must have been purely vestigial. I certainly didn't notice it. Either way, it
was not what I would reasonably expect of a sufficiently cautious rider.

The motorist slows down as he approaches the roundabout, then enters
the roundabout appearing to accelerate.

Well... I don't know about you, but whenever I see a vehicle in a side
turning (minor road, or the other side of a give-way line and subject to it)
approachiung the line in a manner which might indicate that he isn't going to
either stop of cede priority, I slow down - braking if necessary - even
though I have the right of way, as it is generally termed.

According to the cyclist, the motorist claimed he stopped at the
roundabout, but dazzled by sunlight moved cautiously forward. This is
evidently untrue, but from the cyclist's headcam it does look like the
driver is about to stop.

At the moment the driver enters the roundabout the cyclist blasphemes,
and tries to swerve to the right, but there is no time to avoid the
collision, even an instantaneous stop would not have helped at that
point.

Oh, I agree. It was too late by just then.
Old March 11th 11, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:05:15 +0000, Phil W Lee wrote:

snip

Your logic(?) dictates that if (when?) someone beats you to a bloody
pulp with a pick-axe handle, it will be your own fault for not running
away fast enough.
I really really hope that you get the opportunity to test this.
You deprive civilised people of oxygen they deserve.

What a tosser

--
If the *******s won't do anything about the taxi driver risking
people's lives by dangerous driving, book him to take your kids on a
Old March 11th 11, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

wrote:
Your logic(?) dictates that if (when?) someone beats you to a bloody
pulp with a pick-axe handle, it will be your own fault for not
running away fast enough.
I really really hope that you get the opportunity to test this.
You deprive civilised people of oxygen they deserve.

What a tosser

That may be true, but he has a point.

Old March 11th 11, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Rob Morley wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:19:46 +0000
Judith wrote:

What a tosser

That may be true

It's a most certainly true and I suspect Judith almost certainly isn't one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17333329

--
Tony

ouch congokid UK 3 January 30th 07 12:03 AM
ouch!!!! Chexjc Unicycling 19 October 12th 06 04:21 PM
Ouch D.M. Procida UK 22 September 5th 06 02:52 PM
Ouch! David Martin UK 1 August 22nd 05 08:32 AM
Ouch again! Bill C Racing 0 July 15th 05 11:55 PM