Muni "warm-up" routine(s) and best time of day to ride.

Old May 23rd 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Muni "warm-up" routine(s) and best time of day to ride.

I'm wondering how many serious muni-ers do any kind of "warm-up" like
stretching routines before long muni rides. Also, I'm wondering if it's
better to start your ride (especially 2-4 hour rides) in the later
afternoon, when it's not as hot (less chance for sunburn) or, really
early morning, like 7am.

To me. the former makes way more sense because by this time your
muscles are just naturally more warmed up, and because of this you're
more limber and again, you avoid the worst time of day for sun
exposure; 10am-2pm! Because even if you DO start at 7am, and you have
a long 4 hour ride, your STILL in that sunburn territory of 11am! What
say you? Case in point: Last Saturday I muni'd the "Top of the world"
trail and started at 7:30am. Didn't even have the energy to do what we
did the week before when we started at 2pm. Coincidence, or could I
have a point? Ormaybe it's just that I'm used to the early am starts,
and ,my body was telling me so! But still, the 10am-2pm time span
ahould definitley be avoided, even though I always wear full-spectrum
sun-screen!

--
terrybigwheel

Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

Uni is just a cycle I'm going through.

You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"!
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Old May 23rd 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I ride trials(which i kno isnt the same) but i do a 10 -15 min stretch
before and after every ride, no matter how long im riding for. Plus i
do a little warm up of lines i kno i can run clean to get me pumped up
to try new things.

In terms of which time to ride, I like to ride from around 5:00-6:00pm
and on. So thats when the sun is just starting to set. I like that time
because the whole atmosphere is very sombre and its not hot or
cold...Its a very nice time to ride.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Phil

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

koebwil wrote:
I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

Old May 23rd 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

trials_uni wrote:
I ride trials(which i kno isnt the same) but i do a 10 -15 min stretch
before and after every ride, no matter how long im riding for. Plus i
do a little warm up of lines i kno i can run clean to get me pumped up
to try new things.

In terms of which time to ride, I like to ride from around 5:00-6:00pm
and on. So thats when the sun is just starting to set. I like that time
because the whole atmosphere is very sombre and its not hot or
cold...Its a very nice time to ride.

Hope that helps a bit.

-Phil

Thanks for that info! Yeah, the later in the day the better, providing
I don't start too late or it'll be dark by ride's end! So for muni,
3-4pm start seems optimum, especially in the summer since it stays
light out 'till almost 8pm! Although, a night ride (muni) sounds really
cool and intriguing! I could get one of those bike lights for my muni,
and even get one that you could wear on a helmet! (like a "miner's"
headlight) Awsome! Now I wanna do just that!

Old May 23rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

What time of the day you're strongest depends on your personal circadian
rhythms and diet.

When it's best to ride depends on your local weather and personal
physiology.

--
tholub

Old May 23rd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

terrybigwheel wrote:
So for muni, 3-4pm start seems optimum, especially in the summer since
it stays light out 'till almost 8pm!

Only light till 8pm in the summer??? Geez. Its like 9pm right now up
here and its still plenty light out...Its ussually after 10pm till
total darkness in the mid summer time. Oh well Im glad you got
something from my info.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

Old May 23rd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yes, I believe I've read somewhere that, generally speaking, late
afternoon is typically when your muscles are capable of the highest
performance. And that has been my experience with cycling. Mornings
and just after meals are the hardest.

I don't usually plan stretches. I just start slowly to warm up.

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

Old May 23rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

tholub wrote:
What time of the day you're strongest depends on your personal circadian
rhythms and diet.

When it's best to ride depends on your local weather and personal
physiology.

Quoting from "laugh-in", that is "Very Interesting". Here'sa good
description of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

Old May 23rd 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

For me, stretching and warming up arnt an issue, cause I take care of
that stuff in my regular routine of life, I'm always running and
jumping around when im outside and like to mess around doing flips and
handsprings, so that keeps me limber and warmed up.

The best time to ride IMO, is right as before the sun is setting. At
that time, it isn't too hot out, the sun isn't extremely bright,
there's usually a nice cool breeze coming through, and it just feels
right. Then when im riding, Ill usually go for about 4-5 hours, and
return when its pretty dark, then for the rest of the night I talk with
friends and just chill for the reminder of the night.

During the day its either too hot or humid, or im too busy with school
and other projects, so my time works perfectly for me.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more, so leave
me alone about it!~*~

'*!Gallery!*' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/jpkoz) ' and HERE!'
(http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)

Old May 23rd 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yup...jerrick is bang on!

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF

Old May 23rd 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

if i am doing a long muni ride i like to go in the early morning and try
to be off the trail before noon. late afternoon doesnt usually work
around here in colorado because of afternoon showers...riding in the
rain isnt bad, but an electrical storm in the mountains is dangerous.
Same reason i try not to hike in the afternoon.

--
unisteez
unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988