Reflective (adhesive) tape

Old May 28th 08, 11:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bill the Cat

Default Reflective (adhesive) tape

Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

Thanks,

BtC

Old May 28th 08, 11:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"Bill the Cat" wrote in message ...
Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

Thanks,

BtC

Shop at night. With a torch. And your search shall be rewarded.
Old May 28th 08, 12:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2008-05-28, Bill the Cat wrote:

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

I bought some at one of those car parts/accessories stores, I forget
which one.

--
John
The velorution will not be motorised!

Old May 28th 08, 12:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
matagi[_24_]

Best place to get it is at a chandler - yachties use this stuff by the
metre.

--
matagi

Old May 28th 08, 12:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On May 28, 8:48 pm, "Bill the Cat" wrote:
Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

couple of thoughts:

- local bunnings
- local 'safety work gear' shop. These seem to be more common lately

Chandlers tend to have it:
http://whitworths.com.au/main_itemde...solut ePage=1

and then there's always ebay

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Reflective-Workshop

duncan
Old May 28th 08, 02:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Tomasso" wrote in message

"Bill the Cat" wrote in message
Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can
buy it - anyone here know?

Thanks,

BtC

Shop at night. With a torch. And your search shall be rewarded.

A few years back when I was in Canberra I went to a factory in Queenbeyan
that make roadside signs and for $10 they gave me a whole stack of off cuts
of various colours (red, orange, white, green) that I then used to deck out
my bobblebee hardshell backpack. Can't remember the name of the place but
you might be able to turn up something similar near wherever you are
located??

Gags

Old May 28th 08, 10:06 PM posted to aus.bicycle
hemyd

"Bill the Cat" wrote in message
Hi one and all.

Does anyone know where the best place to get conspicuity tape - really
reflective stuff? I think 3M make it but I have no idea where one can buy
it - anyone here know?

Thanks,

BtC

I bought some at Autobarn.

Henry.

Old May 29th 08, 01:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
you move directly in front.

To see this shine a torch on a piece of reflective tape in the dark and then
move head off to one side of the torch, the tape disappears.

A good light with a fairly wide beam front and aft is of more use.

fb

u...

Old May 29th 08, 01:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:21 +0000, Fractal wrote:

I use it but bear in mind that reflective tape only reflects light directly
back in a narrow beam from a light source, so doesnt make you any more
conspicuous from all other directions, and even a motorist may not see you
if the car head lights are low. Doesnt protect from side collisions at
intersections etc since the motorists only sees you at the last moment as
you move directly in front.

Spiral wrapping around the various frame tubing takes care of that. As
someone once said to me "I wonder w*** t** f*** was that". Of course,
offset circle ring reflector within each wheel help add to the effect.