"X Airfoil" rims?

Old March 25th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

Default "X Airfoil" rims?

iridemymuni wrote:
ok guys i still havent found an answer out.

how do i tell if i have the x rim or not?

Measure the diameter and I will measure mine..

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

*I'm addicted to speed, but not the drug*
DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614

Old March 25th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

the best measurement i could get was exactly 800mm, how about you?

--
iridemymuni

maker of the happy birthday threads

ive got:

John Childs, Klaas Bill, Kris Holm, Samia, Harper, Bryan Stevens,
Wobbling bear, Mike Swarbrick, Cathwoood, Scott Wallis, Mikefule,
Raphael (jjuggle), James Potter, ITEMNO530, DogBowl, Yoopers,
Habbywall, Terry and Jagur.
iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900

Old March 25th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iridemymuni

hmm.

well it looks like i might have the non-x version then. that's good to
hear.

do we know how much smaller the x rims are, like 1-2mm or like a
whopping 5-6mm?

Old March 25th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

To measure it correctly you'd need to remove all the spokes and hub so I
guess it's not the best way to do it.. for now I wouldn't be too
worried, if it's only 1 or 2mm then I don't see you have much trouble
with it, I think UDC Australia would have the old rims in stock seeing
as they probably dont sell many. Why don't you ask UDC to make sure?

Old March 25th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I'm not positive that this is correct, but I measured our steel rim and
our X airfoil. The steel rim was 807mm and the airfoil was 803mm.
very slight difference, but I suppose it matters. Further into my rim
saga, I replaced the tube with a 29" right after the issue and threw
the tire back on at 32PSI....the tire popped out but there was no
blowout this time about the same distance later...The tire bead is
completely intact and not damaged so I'm not sure what gives. The bike
shop looked over it and said the bead was in good shape but very slight
in general. They said they put tubular tire bead adhesive on it and
put it back on with my spare 36" tube. Its been sitting at 20PSI in
the dorm room for a day now just because I've been too edgy to ride it.
I'll inflate it and give it a go today on some dead back roads where a
potential blow out will not be dangerous. I'll update when I get back.

--
mouse
mouse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14148

Old March 25th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

A fine point: for evaluating the rim's compatibility, make a visual
inspection of where the bead valley is on the inside of the rim wall.
It's not enough to just measure the overall diameter of the rim, it's
really where the rim bead valley is located.

A course point: when you mount any tire, it has to be centered on the
rim. It is possible to have one section of the tire bead mounted
outside of the rim's bead valley. A blowout waiting to happen. JC has
made this observation many times before in various threads. Important
enough to save your ride.

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old March 26th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

hey thanks for pointing out the different size/shape of the inner parts
of the rim that hold the bead. Makes sense that those would also be
different and make a difference in the two designs. It seems like my
tire is holding properly now and I inflated it back to 32PSI/rode a
short 10 mile day yesterday without problems. Hopefully this thursday
will bring a 65mile long ride writeup with it and lack stories of
destroyed 36" tubes

Old March 26th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

unisk8r wrote:
A fine point: for evaluating the rim's compatibility, make a visual
inspection of where the bead valley is on the inside of the rim wall.
It's not enough to just measure the overall diameter of the rim, it's
really where the rim bead valley is located.

I concur, I have one of the 'x' rims and it is obvious without
measurement that the tyre does not sit in it as deeply as it should.
Also standing the steel and airfoil rims next to each other the steel
is approx. 5mm larger in diametre.

--
kington99

Dave

Old March 26th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

I would send it back. It's defective (more so than the other "X" rims)

I recently purchased a wheel (airfoil+wheelTA) from uni.com, and I've
been running it at 45 psi with no problems. 32 is just too low for road
riding.

mouse wrote:
hey thanks for pointing out the different size/shape of the inner parts
of the rim that hold the bead. Makes sense that those would also be
different and make a difference in the two designs. It seems like my
tire is holding properly now and I inflated it back to 32PSI/rode a
short 10 mile day yesterday without problems. Hopefully this thursday
will bring a 65mile long ride writeup with it and lack stories of
destroyed 36" tubes

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha