Bikeability

Old March 19th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Bikeability

Bikeability is the replacement for the Cycle Profienency Test.

It has the overall aim: "More people cycling more often and more
safely."

It has three stages:

LEVEL 1 - Basic bike handling skills
This is conducted in a controlled environment away from roads and
traffic. Cyclists are usually trained in groups of 3-12 riders,
although individual training can be made available. It provides the
basic cycle control skills including, starting and pedaling, stopping,
maneuvering, signaling and using the gears.

LEVEL 2 - Safe cycling on minor roads and specific journeys
On-road training for those who have completed Level 1 and are ready to
progress; it gives real cycling experience and makes trainees feel
safer and capable of dealing with traffic on short commuting journeys
or when cycling to school. Training is mainly in small groups over a
number of sessions.

LEVEL 3 - Competence for all cycling trips
This level trains riders to make journeys in a variety of traffic
conditions competently, confidently and consistently. Cyclists
reaching the Level 3 standard will be able to deal with all types of
road conditions and more complex situations. The course covers dealing
with hazards, making 'on-the-move' risk assessments and planning
routes for safer cycling.

The National Launch is 1 April 2007.

The course I hope to have accreditied can be found at:
http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/lessons/course.doc
(3.5 Mb Word download)
Old March 19th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Tom Crispin wrote:
Bikeability is the replacement for the Cycle Profienency Test.

[...]

The National Launch is 1 April 2007.

From http://www.bikeability.org.uk/

"We're testing Bikeability in a few lucky areas over the coming months.
But in March 2007, Bikeability will be rolled out across England. So get
ready because Bikeability is coming to your town soon!"

Good to see that they are almost on schedule, but are there plans to
roll it out to Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Evolution is a harsh mistress.
Old March 19th 07, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burt

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message

Bikeability is the replacement for the Cycle Profienency Test.

Does it include an NVQ in spelling?

It has removed 932 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 20th 07, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

From http://www.bikeability.org.uk/

"We're testing Bikeability in a few lucky areas over the coming months.
But in March 2007, Bikeability will be rolled out across England. So get
ready because Bikeability is coming to your town soon!"

Good to see that they are almost on schedule, but are there plans to
roll it out to Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland?

With the federal system we now have for transport policy, Scotland,
Wales, NI and London make their own policy decisions. London has
chosen to adopt bikeability, I expect Scotland, Wales and NI are free
to do so if they wish.
Old March 20th 07, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 19 Mar, 19:00, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

I like the sound of it. Anything to get more people on bikes is a good
thing. Will be interesting to see how well it works.

Old March 20th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 19:00, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

I would agree - but like with anything else it will be down to areas.

Around here the "Cycle Training Scheme" as far as I know was/is not the same
as some other places so there seemed to be some local variations to the old
Cycling Proficiency Training that was National.

Then again it came down to schools too. Many schools do not offer it full
stop, others do in varying degrees and standards.

I know one kid who did all the training and as there was only one teacher at
the school who did it who was ill at the end of term they didn't get to take
the test and get the badge and certs. The school never considered to lethem
do it later or get someone else to test them. It was unfortunate and they
had missed their slot.

Lets hope the new way goes a bit better.

Dave

Old March 20th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-03-19 19:00:33 +0000, Tom Crispin
said:

[...]

I assume that this will be introduced into the school system for the schools
that run schemes, my eldest daughter has just been accepted at a grammar school
that has a cycle scheme, it will be interesting to hear her experiences on
the cycling, she wants to use the trike for the cycle course but I imagine the
school will not like that, I expect she will have to take her old upwrong.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Old March 20th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Smith

Buck wrote:
I assume that this will be introduced into the school system for the
schools
that run schemes, my eldest daughter has just been accepted at a grammar
school
that has a cycle scheme, it will be interesting to hear her experiences on
the cycling, she wants to use the trike for the cycle course but I
imagine the
school will not like that, I expect she will have to take her old upwrong.

That's interesting. The school where I'm a governor have been pushing me
toward taking some simple classes to get kids toward being able to ride
their commute (quiet rural roads in the main) to/from school safely.

I was wondering what to do about anyone turning up with recumbents or
trikes. I guess I'd be happy to accept roadies as well as full-suss
MTB's, so the same argument probably applies. The more the merrier!

Chris
Old March 20th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Chris Smith wrote:

I was wondering what to do about anyone turning up with recumbents or
trikes. I guess I'd be happy to accept roadies as well as full-suss
MTB's, so the same argument probably applies. The more the merrier!

Cycles are cycles are cycles, and the same stuff largely applies to
riding trikes and 'bents as anything else.

When I was doing my trainer's training I used the Brom and the 'bent.
On the "gearing" day I had the Brom with me, and the instructors had me
borrow a derailleur machine so I could demonstrate I could pass on
knowledge suitably about derailleurs, but aside from that there weren't
any issues.

With trikes you need to know to account for the steering differences,
especially with uprights, but aside from that the same rules apply and
what works as good roadcraft is equally applicable as to a "normal" bike.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 20th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns

Peter Clinch wrote:

When I was doing my trainer's training I used the Brom and the 'bent. On
the "gearing" day I had the Brom with me, and the instructors had me
borrow a derailleur machine so I could demonstrate I could pass on
knowledge suitably about derailleurs, but aside from that there weren't
any issues.

The nearer the frame the easier it is.

I met someone on the London to Brighton who was very pleased when I told
her how to select gears to go up a hill.
There genuinely is a whole generation of people out there who have never
been taught how to ride a bike.
Also bring in the people who have the saddle set far too low - because
they set off on the bike by placing both feet on the ground and sitting
on the saddle.

Bikeability Toolkit: free seminars for Bicycle User Groups & local government cfsmtb Australia 0 October 5th 06 08:30 AM
Bikeability for Wales D.M. Procida UK 2 September 21st 06 09:58 PM
Bikeability Toolkit Peter McCallum Australia 8 July 28th 05 04:30 AM