Cure for twisted shoulder on slanted surfaces

Old August 6th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

Default Cure for twisted shoulder on slanted surfaces

I've finally discovered what makes me ride with a shoulder twisted far
back while on slanted surfaces (very uncomfortable after the first
mile, and frustrating because it was terrible form). There were many
helpful ideas and suggestions on previous threads, and it appears that
this issue has different causes for different people and riding styles.
Below is what worked for me and I wanted to share in case anyone else is
going through this. Apologies in advance if I'm repeating a suggestion
already made in another thread.

Basically, I cured the problem by eliminating any pressure on the
pedals during up-stroke. (I'm used to pulling up on my MTB pedals, but
the uni has no clips and I tend to pedal with the middle of my foot on
the uni, making it difficult to do "pedal circles" like on the bike).
But by consciously LIFTING my legs, and "staying light" on the pedals
during up-stroke, the twisted shoulder problem is completely gone. Of
course I still use up-stroke pressure for controlling speed on
downhills, but my shoulder never twisted going down, just on flats and
uphills.

I think putting unnecessary pressure on pedals during up-stroke puts
counter-forces on the uni dynamics, resulting in the shoulder twist.

It appears that another benefit of this technique is the uni is so much
better balanced that using a slight FORWARD push "over the top" of the
pedal stroke allows me to do very small adjustments in steering that
help be stay in the sweet spot on slanted roads and trails.

I'm a beginner so I'm probably (I hope) discovering some basic
well-known stuff here, but if anyone else is going through this really
annoying problem, I hope this is helpful.

--
munimutant
Old August 6th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gadge

Many thanks for this suggestion.

I'm pretty new to this; managed my first 1.5 mile non-stop ride a
couple of days ago. I have a similar problem that I find I lead with my
left shoulder when I'm getting a bit tired and lose concentration. I've
tried to analyse why it happens and came to the conclusion that I'm not
applying even pedal pressure each side and the body twist compensates.

Still it's getting better!
Gary

--
Gadge

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;
the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei.
Old August 6th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scharpenacker

Gadge wrote:
Many thanks for this suggestion.

I'm pretty new to this; managed my first 1.5 mile non-stop ride a
couple of days ago. I have a similar problem that I find I lead with my
left shoulder when I'm getting a bit tired and lose concentration. I've
tried to analyse why it happens and came to the conclusion that I'm not
applying even pedal pressure each side and the body twist compensates.

Still it's getting better!
Gary

Gary, thats interresting ... what do you do then - concentrate on the
same pressure on both sides ? I feel the same leading of one shoulder
when I am riding (donīt now what side but I have tryed to sit "anyway
in an other way" (donīt now how to write it in englisch) but maybee it
is the pressure - I will have a look on this. It is a little confusing
at the moment because also the sattle fixation. Every now and then it
is getting a little out of the middle.

--
scharpenacker
Old August 6th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

I'd say untwist it.
Edit: Nevermind, I thought you twisted it.

--
Triball

Pay for you gas or loose your ID
Old August 6th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scharpenacker

Triball wrote:
I'd say untwist it.
Edit: Nevermind, I thought you twisted it.

So maybe one more try - clearly , I have to untwist the sattle. But
when I am getting tired - I feel like I have to correct more and more
this one-shoulder-in-front-"problem" (it doesnīt hurt in my case) but I
begin to twist myself more and more. So maybe it comes from that what
Gary sad. Not the same pressure on both sides, but I donīt think so,
because I am not getting tired in the legs. (Maybe more in
concentration) But I will give it a try.

Does all guys ride with the sattle "exact" in the middle without twist
- or DO somepeople twist it because of comfort a little to the left or
right ...
Stupid question ???

Twisting question - for my new KH on order - do I have to open the
clamp for untwisting, or the same way of the normal untwisting (wheel
between the legs and twist with the sattle?)

--
scharpenacker
Old August 6th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

I didn't recommend twisting the saddle. I was having a try at humor, but
failed miserably for missunderstanding the problem

Old August 6th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gadge

When I start getting the shoulder leading feeling it often feels like
the saddle is twisted, but it isn't.

I've been trying to concentrate on lightening the pressure on the
pedals and this seems to help. It can sometime happen if I'm trying to
compensate for a sloping or cambered path.

Not sure I have the answers but it's good to discuss these things and
hear how others feel about them and maybe how they've solved the
problem. The better I get the less it's an issue and keeping more
weight in the saddle helps.
Gary

Old August 6th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gadge

scharpenacker wrote:

Does all guys ride with the sattle "exact" in the middle without twist
- or DO somepeople twist it because of comfort a little to the left or
right ...
Stupid question ???.

That sounds like a good question! I actually wondered if twisting the
saddle the other way would balance it out but I decided it might
develop into a bad habit and I should try and solve the problem.

Old August 6th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Gadge wrote:
Many thanks for this suggestion.

I'm pretty new to this; managed my first 1.5 mile non-stop ride a
couple of days ago.

Mr. Modesty. It was 1.5 laps of the rowing lake, which is a good 2
miles.

Things that make the uni feel twisted:

Inadequately inflated tyre.

Bad tyre profile.

Camber.

Saddle not quite straight.

Not sitting straight on the saddle.

Too much tension in the legs.

Too much tension in the shoulders.

Concentrating too much.

One testicle being much heavier than the other.

--
Mikefule

Either you understand the concept of a false dichotomy perfectly, or you
don't understand it at all.
Old August 6th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gadge

Mikefule wrote:
Mr. Modesty. It was 1.5 laps of the rowing lake, which is a good 2
miles.

Things that make the uni feel twisted:

Inadequately inflated tyre.

Bad tyre profile.

Camber.

Saddle not quite straight.

Not sitting straight on the saddle.

Too much tension in the legs.

Too much tension in the shoulders.

Concentrating too much.

One testicle being much heavier than the other.

It must have been modesty that prevented me using the last reason or
maybe it's just about dressing to one side

I'll plead guilty to most of the other failling though :-(

Best road surfaces? Mark Burch UK 9 June 6th 05 09:06 PM
hopping slanted hills llaman Unicycling 5 May 3rd 05 01:57 AM
Jeanson Surfaces B Lafferty Racing 8 February 20th 05 04:33 AM
CURE-C-CURE patches IanB UK 15 March 2nd 04 02:50 AM
Road surfaces One Step Beyond UK 10 September 23rd 03 02:54 PM