Cycling in North of England

Old November 14th 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Klaus Steinkamp

Default Cycling in North of England

Hi,
next year in midsummer I want to visit my friend on the Isle of Man.
My plan is to travel by bike (racingbike with as little as possible
luggage).
I want to use the ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle and then to Heysham
(Ferry to IOM) not on the direct route (touching Lake district etc.)
and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal.
Are there any advisible routes. Best would be to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.
But I hope to get some scenic routes from locals, which are nice to ride
(road- and trafficwise)

Thx
Klaus
Old November 14th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Klaus Steinkamp" wrote in message
Hi,
next year in midsummer I want to visit my friend on the Isle of Man.
My plan is to travel by bike (racingbike with as little as possible
luggage).
I want to use the ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle and then to Heysham
(Ferry to IOM) not on the direct route (touching Lake district etc.)
and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal.
Are there any advisible routes. Best would be to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.
But I hope to get some scenic routes from locals, which are nice to ride
(road- and trafficwise)

Leeds-Liverpool canal isn't really road bike territory.

I'd take the C2C route (taking non-MTB variations) from Newcastle across to
the lakes - it's pretty good. Then down to Heysham.

For return, I'd probably take Heysham, back across the dales, then moors,
then down to Hull. Quieter roads, better scenery. I can probably give a
suitable route to do that if you want.

How wandery do you want to go, how much hill? Ie detours via the classic
lakeland lumps desired?

cheers,
clive

Old November 14th 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Klaus Steinkamp" wrote in message
Hi,
next year in midsummer I want to visit my friend on the Isle of Man.
My plan is to travel by bike (racingbike with as little as possible
luggage).
I want to use the ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle and then to Heysham
(Ferry to IOM) not on the direct route (touching Lake district etc.)
and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal.
Are there any advisible routes. Best would be to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.
But I hope to get some scenic routes from locals, which are nice to ride
(road- and trafficwise)

Thx
Klaus

For you return trip - the Leeds Liverpool Canal is cyclable the full length
but it is not all suitable for a racing type bike.

Likewise some of the River Aire and Aire Calder Navigation from Leeds is
quite nice but again some is not good with a racing bike.

Dave

Old November 14th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Klaus Steinkamp" wrote in message
Hi,
next year in midsummer I want to visit my friend on the Isle of Man.
My plan is to travel by bike (racingbike with as little as possible
luggage).
I want to use the ferry from Ijmuiden to Newcastle and then to Heysham
(Ferry to IOM) not on the direct route (touching Lake district etc.)
and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal.
Are there any advisible routes. Best would be to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.
But I hope to get some scenic routes from locals, which are nice to ride
(road- and trafficwise)

The Trans Pennine Cycle Route is suitable for road bikes and is probably the
easiest way of crossing the Pennines.

http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 14th 08, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal.
Are there any advisible routes. Best would be to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.

Canal paths are usually a bit rough and muddy for a racing bike . If you
have planned to use the sustrans routes consider using a tougher bike.
Those routes are fun but slow and have lots of off road paths that are
unsurfaced. I do not follow the sustrans routes through towns and cities
because they go from school to school rather than straight through, and
many are just lines drawn on the roadside footpath.That kind of facility
is often and unpredictably dangerous , so best not used at all if you
can help it.
Old November 14th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"terryj" wrote in message

and on the backward leg from Liverpool to Hull (maybe using parts of the
old lIVERPOOl-Leeds Canal. Are there any advisible routes. Best would be
to get it as gpx-files.
I ordered already a few charts from Sustrans.

Canal paths are usually a bit rough and muddy for a racing bike . If you
have planned to use the sustrans routes consider using a tougher bike.
Those routes are fun but slow and have lots of off road paths that are
unsurfaced.

This is part of the Trans Pennine Trail next to the Humber near to where I
live:

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zhumb13.jpg

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zhumb16.jpg

Quiet country roads.

As for the TPT route through Hull to the ferry, it sticks to the Humber
river bank and is about 90% paved track, except for a small bit west of the
city which is an earth path but I've ridden it on a road bike many times.

Old November 15th 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Klaus Steinkamp

For you return trip - the Leeds Liverpool Canal is cyclable the full
length but it is not all suitable for a racing type bike.

Likewise some of the River Aire and Aire Calder Navigation from Leeds is
quite nice but again some is not good with a racing bike.

Thx for the Info,
I'm still thinking to use my cyclocross-bike with profiled 35 mm tires.
But if there are alternatives I would prefer my racingbike.
Old November 15th 08, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Klaus Steinkamp

Am Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:09:43 +0000 schrieb Simon Mason:

"terryj" wrote in message

[...]

Roads like this I like to ride ;-)

I saw several signposts of the Trans Pennine Trail while riding the NSCR
is that the one youre talking about ????
Old November 15th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Klaus Steinkamp" wrote in message
-

As for the TPT route through Hull to the ferry, it sticks to the Humber
river bank and is about 90% paved track, except for a small bit west of
the city which is an earth path but I've ridden it on a road bike many
times.

Roads like this I like to ride ;-)

I saw several signposts of the Trans Pennine Trail while riding the NSCR
is that the one youre talking about ????

Hi Klaus,
The track from Hull city centre to the Humber Bridge is the only point
along the NSCR where it is also part of the Trans Pennine Trail. The NSCR
goes over the Humber to the ferry at Harwich, Essex but the TPT goes west to
Liverpool and Southport.

Old November 15th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Klaus Steinkamp

For return, I'd probably take Heysham, back across the dales, then
moors, then down to Hull. Quieter roads, better scenery. I can probably
give a suitable route to do that if you want.

Would like your advice

How wandery do you want to go, how much hill? Ie detours via the classic
lakeland lumps desired?

Hills are no problems, as long as I dont have to climb several thousand
meters like in the alps............. ;-)

Cycling England Tom Crispin UK 2 April 13th 07 11:03 PM
New design guidelines from Cycling England Tony Raven UK 47 January 14th 07 10:35 PM
Cycling your way to an England managership. Richard UK 1 May 5th 06 09:52 AM
URGENT: Audax riders Scotland/North of England! Simon Brooke UK 0 June 13th 05 09:53 AM
Route advice - North of England Paul Young UK 5 January 20th 05 06:22 PM