hopping slanted hills

Old May 2nd 05, 07:08 AM
llaman

Default hopping slanted hills

I've done quite a bit of muni the last few days, but I have been having
problems when trying to hop up a steep hill which I can't take head
on.

When I start trying to make my way up, it seems like the tire is
slipping and the tire is bending sideways a bit. Could this be because
of a lack of air in the tire? I'm keeping the tire fairly flat at the
moment.

Would more air help this... other suggestions?

--
llaman - average joe muni'er

Kansas Muni - the wizard of oz can't do this...
llaman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9798

Old May 2nd 05, 07:16 AM
loosejello

It sounds like the tire is folding. Adding more air will stiffen up the
sidewalls.

--
loosejello - Amanda has the sexiest back dimples
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

Old May 2nd 05, 08:26 PM
The Munieer

Instead of hopping perpindicular to the inclination of the slope, you
can turn the wheel 10 to 20 degrees down slope and then hop up. This
effectively makes for a stiffer tire and reduces tire foldover. You then
hop up the slope with your back slightly turned up to the slope.

My old muni ran a BFR rim with a 3.0 gazz. I ran it at 17 psi. I got
fold over a lot. I ran the low pressure because it helped for hopping,
but I foldover was prevalent with the narrower rim. So, I started doing
as i described above. You can still see where you are going up the
hill.

You didn't say what tire and rim you are running.

Hope that helps.

--
The Munieer - One for the...Off Road

Rod Wylie - For Contact - DO NOT PM
Email me at rswylie(at)aol(dot)com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

Old May 3rd 05, 12:59 AM
gerblefranklin

I don't see why someone would want to jump up a slope backwards rather
than forward. If you jump forward, just rotate your wheel forward a bit
to balance out the uneven pedal pressure.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"The genesis of genocide is like a Pagan religion; carefully hidden,
woven into the holidays of a Christian."-Immortal Technique

Old May 3rd 05, 01:48 AM
loosejello

I would think it would be easier to hpo up the hill backwards, because
then you only have to bend your knees rather than hips and knees to tuck
the wheel up some.

Old May 3rd 05, 01:57 AM
llaman

I went out and tossed a little more air in it to give that a try and it
hasn't been as much of a problem ... thanks for the replies.