Straw poll: front brake lever position.

Old February 18th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike

Default Straw poll: front brake lever position.

In article , says...
Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
left or right? Thanks.

Front right on both road-bike and mountain-bike. Drive on left here just to make things confusing.

Mike
Old February 20th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_71_]

Tom Sherman Wrote:
meb wrote:
...my tadpole trike has only a rear brake activated by
either the left or right joystick).

Now that sounds like a scary arrangement!

My tadpole trike has a brake on each front wheel, and no rear brake.

Not to bad if one limits oneself to level ground.

I'd be reluctant to go down significant hills.
I've toyed with the idea of adding front brakes.

It is amusing to lock the rear wheel and see the trike continue on and
on and on and on..... It's one of the HPE Corsa trikes from the 1980s
with a Sturmey drum on a rear AW hub.

The AmeriTricruiser has a similar rear only braking arraingment plus
its on the other extreme from a center of gravity standpoint. I'd
really like to see what its stopping distance is like.

--
meb

Old February 21st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

meb ? wrote:
Tom Sherman Wrote:
meb wrote:
...my tadpole trike has only a rear brake activated by
either the left or right joystick).

Now that sounds like a scary arrangement!

My tadpole trike has a brake on each front wheel, and no rear brake.

Not to bad if one limits oneself to level ground.

I'd be reluctant to go down significant hills.
I've toyed with the idea of adding front brakes.

It is amusing to lock the rear wheel and see the trike continue on and
on and on and on..... It's one of the HPE Corsa trikes from the 1980s
with a Sturmey drum on a rear AW hub.

The AmeriTricruiser has a similar rear only braking arraingment plus
its on the other extreme from a center of gravity standpoint. I'd
really like to see what its stopping distance is like.

My Dragonflyer tadpole trike stops much faster than can be done on an
upright or higher CG recumbent, and is safer than a low CG recumbent
bicycle, since locking a front wheel does not cause a loss of balance.

Old February 22nd 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
left or right? Thanks.

I tallied the reports.

12 right
9 left

I tallied individual preference, not multiplicity.

Self selecting reports from a population of
bicycle tinkerers suggest that right hand
control of the front brake is preferred,
since most bicycles must be changed to reach
this configuration.

What do you think, sirs?

--
Michael Press