Brooks repair in the colonies?

Old February 18th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Brooks repair in the colonies?

Well, I went to tension my B17 a bit more today and noticed that the
adjusting bolt is snapped at the nut. Curses.

A Cursory search shows some places in the UK where one can send his
saddle in for repair, but is there anyplace that springs to mind on
this side of the pond before I consider the shipping costs and
unavoidable transit time there and back again?

Wonderingly,
Pureheart

And my condolences to the Brown family on Sheldon's passing. I was and
am saddened about it.

Old February 18th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
res09c5t

A Cursory search shows some places in the UK where one can send his
saddle in for repair, but is there anyplace that springs to mind on
this side of the pond before I consider the shipping costs and
unavoidable transit time there and back again?

Wallingford Bicycle Parts down in New Orleans ( www.wallbike.com ) should
know if anyone does. They specialize in Brooks.

Here's a link to their Brooks parts page. It may have what you need on it.

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/partsandaccessories.html

Old February 18th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 17, 10:58*pm, wrote:
Well, I went to tension my B17 a bit more today and noticed that the
adjusting bolt is snapped at the nut. Curses.

A Cursory search shows some places in the UK where one can send his
saddle in for repair, but is there anyplace that springs to mind on
this side of the pond before I consider the shipping costs and
unavoidable transit time there and back again?

Wonderingly,
Pureheart

And my condolences to the Brown family on Sheldon's passing. I was and
am saddened about it.

Are you at all handy? Sounds like something that could be solved with
a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of time.
Old February 18th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 18, 9:38 am, " wrote:
On Feb 17, 10:58 pm, wrote:

Well, I went to tension my B17 a bit more today and noticed that the
adjusting bolt is snapped at the nut. Curses.

A Cursory search shows some places in the UK where one can send his
saddle in for repair, but is there anyplace that springs to mind on
this side of the pond before I consider the shipping costs and
unavoidable transit time there and back again?

Wonderingly,
Pureheart

And my condolences to the Brown family on Sheldon's passing. I was and
am saddened about it.

Are you at all handy? Sounds like something that could be solved with
a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of time.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
I am a bit handy--have to be, since I've owned an English car...my
trusty Morris Minor for the past 35 years.

(I got the saddle from Rivendell, to answer that question.)

I had not looked closely enough and had assumed that the bolt head was
captive in an assembly which would have had to be de-riveted from the
leather. Looks like I was wrong on that. I should not have a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Pureheart in Aptos, CA

Old February 18th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 18, 2:27*pm, wrote:
On Feb 18, 9:38 am, " wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:58 pm, wrote:

Well, I went to tension my B17 a bit more today and noticed that the
adjusting bolt is snapped at the nut. Curses.

A Cursory search shows some places in the UK where one can send his
saddle in for repair, but is there anyplace that springs to mind on
this side of the pond before I consider the shipping costs and
unavoidable transit time there and back again?

Wonderingly,
Pureheart

And my condolences to the Brown family on Sheldon's passing. I was and
am saddened about it.

Are you at all handy? *Sounds like something that could be solved with
a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of time.

Thanks for all the great *suggestions.
I am a bit handy--have to be, since I've owned an English car...my
trusty Morris Minor for the past 35 years.

I'd say that alone puts this project firmly within your skill set.

(I got the saddle from Rivendell, to answer that question.)

I had not looked closely enough and had assumed that the bolt head was
captive in an assembly which would have had to be de-riveted from the
leather. Looks like I was wrong on that. I should not have a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Anytime. Good luck!
Old February 22nd 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
rick b

Are you at all handy? Sounds like something that could be solved with
a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of time.

I went to the local (American) hardware store-- a Lowe's - a couple of
days ago, and failed to discover anything that works well. The
tensioner uses a nut that has a customized shape for the application.
I could not find either metric nor SAE-threaded components that
matched the original nut and bolt.
There are shops that specialize in customized fittings, but it might
be more cost-and-time-effective to spend 15 bucks for new parts from
wallbike.com. That's not too bad a price to keep a $70-plus saddle
usable.
Old February 22nd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 22, 3:28 pm, rick b wrote:
Are you at all handy? Sounds like something that could be solved with
a trip to the hardware store and a little bit of time.

I went to the local (American) hardware store-- a Lowe's - a couple of
days ago, and failed to discover anything that works well. The
tensioner uses a nut that has a customized shape for the application.
I could not find either metric nor SAE-threaded components that
matched the original nut and bolt.
There are shops that specialize in customized fittings, but it might
be more cost-and-time-effective to spend 15 bucks for new parts from
wallbike.com. That's not too bad a price to keep a $70-plus saddle
usable.

I find the hardware selection at the big box stores (Lowes, Home
Depot, etc) to be absolutely dismal. There are usually smaller stores
that have much better selections, as in every fastener and thread you
could dream of. Around my parts the big dog is Amesbury Industrial
Supply, so you may check your area for an industrial supply shop.
There's also a specialty metric shop in Wakefield, MA that will have
any metric fastener known to man. Basically, you've gotta find a
smaller shop that specializes in having a real good hardware
selection. If you know anyone in your area in to old boats or old
cars ask them. If not maybe try searching google map for "fittings"
or "industrial supply" in your area.

Brooks again vey Techniques 14 September 28th 07 05:26 PM
Brooks B17 Andrew Price General 13 April 4th 06 09:03 PM
Brooks B17 Andrew Price Techniques 0 April 2nd 06 02:57 PM
Once again, Brooks it is. Gman Mountain Biking 1 March 27th 05 05:13 PM
WTB: Brooks B-17 Randy Russell Marketplace 0 March 24th 05 12:41 PM