How to Shave your Trials Tire?

Old October 9th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The.Mars.Volta

Default How to Shave your Trials Tire?

DustinSchaap wrote:
If you are going to cut off the nobs make sure you dont accidently cut
into the tire

Or thumbs as I would know all too well.
I did it to my creepy crawler. It probably wont last very long but it
feels great!

--
The.Mars.Volta

'Kidmuni.com' (http://www.kidmuni.com/Home)
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2lotu6)
'YouTube Account' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=UNICYCLEORDIE)
Excuse me, is your fridge running? Because if it is it's probably
running like you, very homosexually.
-Peter Griffin
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 9th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
Or thumbs as I would know all too well.
I did it to my creepy crawler. It probably wont last very long but it
feels great!

It will be fine... as long as you didn't cut deep enough to see
threads.

Jerrick says his bald Creepy Crawler has stopped wearing down
(considerably) after the nubs are all gone.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 12th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The.Mars.Volta

Borgschulze wrote:
It will be fine... as long as you didn't cut deep enough to see
threads.

Jerrick says his bald Creepy Crawler has stopped wearing down
(considerably) after the nubs are all gone.

Oh really. Well It's still got bumps from where the nubs there. But
it's still as smooth to ride as anyones. I love it.

Luke Collalto wrote:
It feels smoother to ride, to do tire gabs and it's lighter. The main
advantage is probably the look.

I love my bald luna, I've had it since around the start of the year.
Still no thread showing and I never really rotate it.

http://tinyurl.com/3cfq9l

Also, I found it helps heaps with doing backflips as there is less grip
on the ground making it harder to spin.

I was amazed at how much weight shaving it took off. I only started to
collect the knobs in a bit of newspaper half way through shaving it and
the weight of the knobs shocked me. I didn't think it would make any
difference to the tyres overall weight.

Shut up, Reef.

Old October 12th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Borgschulze wrote:

Jerrick says his bald Creepy Crawler has stopped wearing down
(considerably) after the nubs are all gone.

Its true. I was expecting to start seeing threads of the tire months
ago, but I haven't. I havent even rotated the tire in months.

Its kinda weird really.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 12th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The.Mars.Volta

Well if it's got the knobs those are the only bits touching the ground.
But if it's bald, there's lots of rubber touching the ground thus
resulting in less grinding down of the rubber? Anyone wanna back me up
because I'm not sure?

Old October 12th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
Well if it's got the knobs those are the only bits touching the ground.
But if it's bald, there's lots of rubber touching the ground thus
resulting in less grinding down of the rubber? Anyone wanna back me up
because I'm not sure?

I'd guess so.

Maybe the knobs are made of a softer compound than the rest of the
tyre? (ok, maybe not...)

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 12th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The.Mars.Volta

jamessd wrote:
I'd guess so.

Maybe the knobs are made of a softer compound than the rest of the
tyre? (ok, maybe not...)

You may be onto something there...

Old October 13th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The.Mars.Volta

jamessd wrote:
I'd guess so.

Maybe the knobs are made of a softer compound than the rest of the
tyre? (ok, maybe not...)

I just realised that yes it would most likely be made out of a softer
compound because a softer compound would give more grip surely.

I think you're right.

Old January 24th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uni-Jam

but do you find a shaved tire better than a non-shaved tire for street?

--
Uni-Jam
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 26th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

Decided to shave a bit of rubber off my 2.7 monty for weight and
smoothness. Didn't want to go completely bald (yet).
Definitely the fastest way to shave a tire!
Rolls much nicer on pavement, still has plenty of grip. More like a BMX
tire.

I just ran around the outer tread with the bench grinder, shaving a
pile of rubber off each knob.

No photos of the before, but heres some photos of the aftermath.
Took maybe 10 mins to get it like this, maybe 10 more to make it
completely smooth using the grinder. Balding a tire using other methods
usually takes upwards of an hour!!!

[image:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...79resized.jpg]

[image:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...80resized.jpg]

[image:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...81resized.jpg]

...and photos of the tire itself

[image:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...75resized.jpg]

[image:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...74resized.jpg]

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr/unicycle/)
http://www.usenet.com

How to Shave your Trials Tire? agentQ Unicycling 0 August 24th 07 02:05 PM
trials tire mawesome Unicycling 0 December 23rd 06 12:36 AM
3in. trials tire? mornish Unicycling 9 April 26th 06 01:08 PM
Trials Tire uni412 Unicycling 17 January 21st 05 04:36 AM
Tire For Trials On 24" pdc Unicycling 15 November 26th 04 03:54 PM