How to Shave your Trials Tire?

Old December 6th 08, 10:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_mattster

Default How to Shave your Trials Tire?

ntappin;1144147 wrote:
There is a search thread tool, which brought up nothing, I also manually
went through looking for any instance of the word tire or tyre, and
nothing came up.

The only thing close was mentioning that there would be enough room for
fatter tires, and the mention of Slicker 29er tires.

Thanks Sam, I spent quite a while looking and came up with nothing,
this is news to me so I'm pretty happy about it.

Sorry I posted this without refreshing with everyone elses comments on
it.

Yea, I tried searching the thread and was confused that I couldn't find
anything. Sorry if I mislead you. It's quite an interesting thread
anyway. Thanks for finding the post Sam (AgentQ)

Jerrick;1144107 wrote:
Wasnt a waste of time at all. No worries.

Sweet as. There's some pretty interesting stuff in that thread anyways.
It reminded me of the excitement of waiting for the new KH to come out
haha

--
uni_mattster

You can never honestly answer "no" when questioned on the todayness of
Opposites Day

2nd place )-540unispin-'O,

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/MattsterUni
Old December 7th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

This response is to a few of the earlier posts, but I can't be bothered
to quote them all.
I was after exactly what I said, which was a 19" tyre, that had the
same volume as the 2.5" but with a street tread rather than a trails
tread. I think it would be pretty popular seeing as there are a lot of
people riding street on 19".
I dont think running a 20" wheel would work too well because there
isn't a wide enough 20" tyre to give you the volume you would want for
riding street.

Which brings us back to tyre shaving. I'd really rather buy a tyre
that's already how I want it though!

--
UnicycleJuggler

--Experienced--In--Pain*
'UnIcYcLe *D O
T* CoM *D O T*
Uk' (http://unicycle.uk.com/Shop/)
Old December 11th 08, 11:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

Oh dear, another double post. It has been a while since my last one
though!

I have been thinking more about the shaving tyre thing and I think it
probably would be easier if I -did- just run a 20" BMX rim that is built
to take almost as much force as a 19" trials rim. This way you could put
a 2.2-2.3" tyre on that is pretty much already shaved.
The main problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to run the same
kind of tyre pressures that people run on a trials tyre cuz it would
just feel sloppy and flat. But then you'd probably want it a little
stiffer if you were using it for street or skatepark.

Just out of interest, do many people ride predominantly skateparks? I
can drop in on an 8foot halfpipe, but it's impossible to do anything
after that. I'd like to run a harder gear and smooth tyre to see if I
could actually get up the other side of a halfpipe without pedalling my
tits off.

--
UnicycleJuggler

'--Experienced--In--Pain*'
Old December 12th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Has anyone considered gluing the tread from a 20 on a shaved trials
tire? It would kill your weight advantage but should last a long time
and you could keep re-using the casing till the sidewalls die.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 15th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

Has anybody tried running this tyre on a 20" rim?:

[image: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/Images/Shop/tyre203g.jpg]

I presume it's designed for these cruiser/lowrider bikes that people
ride round beach paths on.

http://tinyurl.com/663h2t

It's 3.45" wide! I don't know what it would be like but it's pretty
much bald with, presumably, quite a long lifespan if it's the full
thickness of a normal tyre just without tread.

I believe Spencer Hochberg tried one a few years ago, but I don't know
anymore than that.

--
UnicycleJuggler

'*Unicycle
Vids On
Vimeo*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/groups/uni)
Old December 20th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

Well this threads gone a little dry.

I've been shaving for about 4 hours and I've still got stubble:-(

It's takiing so long and I've been through a pack of 6 blades!

I'm gona presume the best way would have been to use an angle grinder,
which I unfortunately don't have any access to. Is that also the way I
would finish mine off after cutting all the nobs off?

Old December 21st 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Are you keeping the blade and rubber wet?

--
Jerrick

'*500$ /$549.99*'
(http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa) *Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old December 21st 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UnicycleJuggler

Jerrick;1154073 wrote:
Are you keeping the blade and rubber wet?

No, I was doing it dry. Does the water help then? I've recently nearly
lost the end of my left index finger so I'm not too keen on the idea of
slipery+knife!

Old December 21st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Unless you have sufficient experience with an angle grinder, it should
not be your first choice. If you know how and can use an angle grinder
fairly well, it will be the quickest method of removing nubs and
smoothing tire.

Similar results can be done with a belt sander of sorts.

If you do not have experience and or access to these tools I would go
with a razor and then orbital sander. Its not quick, but it works. Make
sure you use a rough grit sand paper with the orbital, as you want the
tire to be grippy not slick.

--
agentQ

---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old December 21st 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Emile.m

agentQ;1154402 wrote:
Unless you have sufficient experience with an angle grinder, it should
not be your first choice. If you know how and can use an angle grinder
fairly well, it will be the quickest method of removing nubs and
smoothing tire.

Similar results can be done with a belt sander of sorts.

Or with sand papers, hands and time.

--
Emile.m

Team UDC Canada
visit www.municycle.ca

2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y (hum, 07/08 winter footage
only)

How to Shave your Trials Tire? agentQ Unicycling 0 August 24th 07 02:05 PM
trials tire mawesome Unicycling 0 December 23rd 06 12:36 AM
3in. trials tire? mornish Unicycling 9 April 26th 06 01:08 PM
Trials Tire uni412 Unicycling 17 January 21st 05 04:36 AM
Tire For Trials On 24" pdc Unicycling 15 November 26th 04 03:54 PM