max load rating for road bikes?

Old February 18th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default max load rating for road bikes?

I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Old February 18th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 18, 2:00*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross *bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

How much do you weigh?

Wheels are the part most subjected to beating by larger folks.

Joseph
Old February 18th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross *bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Rarely do bikes come with "max weight" ratings. It would help to know
your weight and intended use of the bike. Typically, wheels could be a
potential trouble source for someone over 200 pounds.

Suggest you stay away from stupid light frames, wheels, tires, bars,
etc. if you're concerned about durability. Also consider using
slightly wider tires (700 x 25 or 700 x 28) if they will fit.

Art Harris

Old February 18th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Feb 18, 7:14 am, Art Harris wrote:
Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Rarely do bikes come with "max weight" ratings. It would help to know
your weight and intended use of the bike. Typically, wheels could be a
potential trouble source for someone over 200 pounds.

Suggest you stay away from stupid light frames, wheels, tires, bars,
etc. if you're concerned about durability. Also consider using
slightly wider tires (700 x 25 or 700 x 28) if they will fit.

Art Harris

Well definitely I am over 200 pounds now and by quite a WIDE
margin. I used to ski so I have strong leg muscles so I can
do some hills now even with all that extra weight. Altho fact
is you cannot fool you knees. And even if I go down to my
college/rock climbing weight (which will take a a year or so)
I will still be close to 200 - about 185-190.
So in the meantime I thought about cyclocross bike - maybe
sth hybrid like Bianchi Axis?
Old February 18th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Woland99 wrote:
Well definitely I am over 200 pounds now and by quite a WIDE
margin. I used to ski so I have strong leg muscles so I can
do some hills now even with all that extra weight. Altho fact
is you cannot fool you knees. And even if I go down to my
college/rock climbing weight (which will take a a year or so)
I will still be close to 200 - about 185-190.
So in the meantime I thought about cyclocross bike - maybe
sth hybrid like Bianchi Axis?

There is a world-class sprinter, Thor Hushovd, who weighs about the
same as you and he races superlight carbon road bikes. I prolly have
weighed as much as you by a bit in the past (now stay within +/- 10
lbs of 200) and I have ridden many different bikes of different
materials, some pretty lightweight. Like others said, stay away from
stoopidlight.

You COULD get a bike that would be suitable for you both now and when
you get down to fighting weight but it will most likely cost some
coin. Course, buying two bikes (the cross now, another one later)
will cost some coin too .

There are frames out there that would support you well now and not
beat you to death later. Thor rides a Look, but that's kinda
spendy. I have ridden a Fuji Professional Carbon at around 220 lbs.
and found it plenty stiff for climbing. The Fuji carbon frames
represent a very high performance/dollar ratio, IMO. I also ride a
Storck C1.1, a Schwinn Paramount titanium, and a Schwinn SuperSport.
When I weighed 250+, I rode a Klein Stage, which was more stiff than I
needed.

D'ohBoy

Old February 18th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Feb 18, 8:03 am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
Woland99 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the good info - that is encouraging!
I will research the brands that you mentioned.
Buying a cross bike now and bona fide road bike later
is OK - I can always use cross bike to commute.

JT

Old February 18th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Woland99 wrote:
[...]

I'd say anywhere under 250 you don't need to worry about special gear.
Just don't spend too much on spindly wheels, and replace the stock
wheels with strong ones once they break.

I'm about 220 now, down from 260 or so when I started riding again. I
had problems with cheap low-spoke count wheels, but with a reasonable
spoke count, I haven't had any problems since.

Go ahead and get a cross bike if you want one, but don't get one just
because you think you are too big for a road bike.

Have fun!

Joseph
Old February 18th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 18 Feb, 15:03, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
Woland99 wrote:
[...]

Thor is only about 180lbs (80kg). Magnus Backsted is about 200lbs.

FWIW I found the Fuji carbon bikes rather squishy. I only test rode
them, so no long term impressions.

I'd steer away from carbon fiber.

Just getting into the swing of things, your tastes and ideas about how
you ride, and what sort of gear you want/need will change rather
quickly. So you will probably want to change out whatever you get now
in a year anyway, so that't maybe something to keep in mind.

Joseph
Old February 18th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 18, 7:00 am, Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Why get a road bike if you're not racing? A "cross" bike, meaning
something like a Kona Jake or Bianchi Volpe--cyclocross tendencies but
with braze-ons for most any accessory and with fantastic tire
clearances, these are the do-all bikes that are easiest to find today.
Strong and no-nonsense. If you really have the fast bug, have some
light wheels built and run 28mm slicks on sunny days. Most of today's
road bikes are pointless affectation, IMHO. Saving a couple pounds
here or there makes little difference to a recreational rider, but a
good comfy cockpit and confidence that the bike isn't too fragile does
make a difference.

I was out with my buddy yesterday and we were riding some not-
officially-open-yet greenways with lots of detritus. I was on my
hybrid anticipating this, and he was on his new Jake the Snake.
Gravel, glass patches, grass, no problem. Then we saw a neighbor
limping home his Bianchi road bike with two half flats as he'd run out
of CO2. We got him fixed up--but it just struck me as absurd riding
23mm tires on a high zoot bike, when what you really want is
reasonably fast, and reliable. I managed to hit a hidden 2" squared
off lip of concrete at over 20mph, which would have destroyed a skinny
tire. Did manage to put a flat spot in my rims...which is what I'm
avoiding fixing by typing this...but I didn't puncture and didn't even
have to stop.
Old February 18th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Limitation's in the wheels not the frame. Regular tubular wheels should
be reliable for a 250-280lb rider on reasonable roads. Past that, you'd
probably want wider tires than can fit in the bike.

There aren't hard limits. Some XXL riders have great success with
regular race equipment and some light riders beat the hell out of wheels.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

High Road - Wide Load???? HC Racing 2 January 29th 08 02:44 PM
EVIL RATING SCALE ZBicyclist Rides 0 January 11th 08 03:07 AM
EVIL RATING SCALE ZBicyclist UK 0 January 11th 08 03:07 AM
whats your NKS rating? saam Unicycling 44 April 30th 05 01:43 AM
Climb on bikes Hereford UK - what a load of rubbish ! ekke UK 1 February 4th 05 11:19 AM