max load rating for road bikes?

Old February 18th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default max load rating for road bikes?

wrote:

Thor is only about 180lbs (80kg). Magnus Backsted is about 200lbs.

Oops. Yes, Backstedt is who I meant, although I would suggest that
either he or Thor will abuse a frame more than the OP will.

FWIW I found the Fuji carbon bikes rather squishy.

Huh. Yah, you've said that before. I find your below assertion
rather squishy.

I'd steer away from carbon fiber.

Why? What would you steer him toward? I think there are many
appropriate frames for the OP's size in carbon as well as aluminum,
steel, or titanium. As well as frames that would fold underneath him
on his first ride manufactured of carbon or aluminum, or steel, or
titanium.

D'ohBoy
Old February 18th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 18, 3:44 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
wrote:
Thor is only about 180lbs (80kg). Magnus Backsted is about 200lbs.

Oops. Yes, Backstedt is who I meant, although I would suggest that
either he or Thor will abuse a frame more than the OP will.

FWIW I found the Fuji carbon bikes rather squishy.

Huh. Yah, you've said that before. I find your below assertion
rather squishy.

I'd steer away from carbon fiber.

Why? What would you steer him toward? I think there are many
appropriate frames for the OP's size in carbon as well as aluminum,
steel, or titanium. As well as frames that would fold underneath him
on his first ride manufactured of carbon or aluminum, or steel, or
titanium.

D'ohBoy

Is there anyone making ti frames that would fail first ride on someone
in this category? I know there's a lot more to the frame than the
material, but I would be surprised to find someone is making complete
garbage ti frames, the material is just too expensive.

I know some BMXers who won't consider riding carbon, citing flex when
and where they are not comfy with flex. 2 of them are or were pro
level riders, sponsorships and all. Both are better riders than I
will ever be. One of them is currently top 5 in the pros and on his
way to the Worlds in China as we speak, and lining up for the 2012 X
games. If carbon feels flimsy to these guys, there's a reason. When
you ride your bike every damn day because it's your job you tend to
learn things.

That said, I have a slightly different opinion on carbon. My first
carbon part was an answer BMX fork for my Mosh race bike. At the time
I said I'd never ride carbon, and then I got bit by the weight weenie
bug and bought a set. I thought they felt flimsy, especially when
compared to the chromo forks I was used to. Then it happened, I cased
a double out of turn 2 spinning out my 45x16. I wrecked hard, and I
felt something on the bike break as I went over the bars. I'd bent
and broken forks in the past, and knew beyond doubt that I had just
done in another set.

As I lay there hurt, I thought to myself "Great, there go those
forks. That was an expensive crash, especially since I've only had
them 1 month". I then picked myself up and grabbed the bike off of
the track, so no other racers hit it and crashed. As I picked it up
by the bars I felt something off, verifying the forks were done. On
the sidelines I couldn't find the crack, but I could certainly feel
it. I was already dead last in the moto so I just rolled the rest of
the track to avoid the DNF and went over to the spot to tear it down,
hoping someone on my team or my manager had an extra set of forks. We
could bike shuffle for the last heat (by crashing I made sure I wasn't
going to the finals), but that's a pain.

Turns out the forks were not broken. Some of the bearings in the
headset were!! I cased that jump so hard I broke bearings in the
headset, more than I had ever broken in the past even when destroying
chromo forks!!!

So, to me the story is this: Carbon may flex and feel squirrelly
where you don't want it to. That said, it can still be damn strong.
I've still got those forks, and though I now know they're strong
enough for my dirt jumping bike I wouldn't put them there. If I built
up another BMX race bike, however, they'd go right on.

Dan
Old February 18th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 18, 5:42 pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:44 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Would you feel comfortable putting a 100 kg guy on a 790 gram Ghisallo
frame?

Lou- Hide quoted text -

I'm honestly not sure, which is why I was asking. My question was
earnest. I am not sure the model, but I do know a 210lb (95KG) guy
who rode a ti litespeed for a couple years without problems. It
didn't fail until he rode it into a car (his version varies a bit, but
there's no debating the bike & car impact, only fault). While I don't
claim to be intimately familiar with the Ghisallo, I'd be shocked if
it "folded beneath him on his first ride", however, which is the claim
that was made. I'm damn near 100KG myself, and I ride my steel framed
road bike offroad, on singletrack. I crash it sometimes. I hop
curbs, and have been known to play (lightly) in the skate park. I
would not think the Ghisallo would live all that long under my abuse,
but that's different than folding on the first ride.
Old February 18th 08, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom

On Feb 18, 6:00�am, Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross �bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Consider a good touring bike. It should be of stronger construction
and, if sized right, could be something to use and enjoy for the rest
of your days.

Tom
Old February 19th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Feb 18, 7:00 am, Woland99 wrote:
I know that roadie suppose to be skinny but not everybody is.
Or at least not yet. I am shopping for a road bike (have MTB) now
and I cannot find any info on what would be reasonable "max load".
I consider getting cyclocross bike as a step toward road bike but
perhaps somebody here knows - what would be max rider weight
that eg. Masi Gran Corsa can carry?

Folks - many thanks for all the input. I learnt a lot and it is good
to find such active and friendly forum (that was my first post here).
Tomorrow I will go check couple Bianchi bikes - Volpe and perhaps
Axis.
It does not seem that any LCB has Kono Jake in stock. I will also look
at Surlys and perhaps Masi Speciale CX. Comparing different models
takes some time for me since I do not have a lot of knowledge about
components or often basic tech vocabulary. But there is always
Sheldon's
website and wikipedia. Thanks again - I will report on my progress.
Old February 19th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

info given suggests 300 pounds for a lugged carbon steel japanese-
tiwanese frame from the '80's-a frame speced by Shedon Brwon as "a
cheap asian improt"
improvements on the CAI ridden he CR-18/WheelMfg solid axles/25
bearings/Conti touring or commuting tires and home made racks
carry 100 pounds rear rack, 40-50 pounds front rack at cautious
downhill or downwind speeds on smooth surfaces without problema.
At those capacities, a paint experiment trying to coax flourescent
paint into not absolving into flat paint, showed paint cracks on the
seat stays.
rider is 165 pounds.
morals a upgraded system carries a heavier load than the system is
capable of handling as a bicycle system producing acceptable
directional stability, forward motion v expended energy.
bringing the memory of supplies and weapons traveling down the Ho Chi
Min Trail on bicycles and other 3rd world photos available on the
internet.
Old February 19th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 18 Feb, 21:44, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
wrote:
Thor is only about 180lbs (80kg). Magnus Backsted is about 200lbs.

Oops. Yes, Backstedt is who I meant, although I would suggest that
either he or Thor will abuse a frame more than the OP will.

No doubt.

FWIW I found the Fuji carbon bikes rather squishy.

Huh. Yah, you've said that before. I find your below assertion
rather squishy.

As I said, it was only a short test. So I suppose it could have been
the wheels, the salesman's deodorant, or any of an infinite other
number of factors that skewed my opinion.

I'd steer away from carbon fiber.

Why? What would you steer him toward? I think there are many
appropriate frames for the OP's size in carbon as well as aluminum,
steel, or titanium. As well as frames that would fold underneath him
on his first ride manufactured of carbon or aluminum, or steel, or
titanium.

Because IMO carbon fiber is unecceasarily delicate and usually not
worth the added expense. The advantage of CF is being able to make
super-light and stiff frames, but this usually only happens at the top
end of the price scale. Less expensive frames don't seem to manage
both light weight and stiffness, so what is the point?

That is of course a broad generalization, and my main reason to
suggest avoiding CF is to get a LOT more bike for the money in most
cases. There is a premium for CF bikes that IMO is only really
justified in the high price range, and the high price range in itself
is hardly justified in terms of performance alone.

Joseph
Old February 19th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 18 Feb, 23:42, Lou Holtman wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 18, 3:44 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would be. Send me one. ;-)

Joseph
Old February 19th 08, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Feb 19, 2:42 am, "
wrote:
On 18 Feb, 21:44, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Actually I was really tempted by Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2 at LBS.
It was on sale for $1500 and it was soooo light! But my common sense
kept saying "look at these rims - now look at your gut - now look at
these rims". Salesman told me that it is designed to withstand 300lbs
static load - not sure if that means it will fold at 325 or a 300lbs
person can take it on the road...

High Road - Wide Load???? HC Racing 2 January 29th 08 02:44 PM
EVIL RATING SCALE ZBicyclist Rides 0 January 11th 08 03:07 AM
EVIL RATING SCALE ZBicyclist UK 0 January 11th 08 03:07 AM
whats your NKS rating? saam Unicycling 44 April 30th 05 01:43 AM
Climb on bikes Hereford UK - what a load of rubbish ! ekke UK 1 February 4th 05 11:19 AM