Clocks go back to GMT at 2 am on Sunday morning (31/10/2010)

Old October 29th 10, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default Clocks go back to GMT at 2 am on Sunday morning (31/10/2010)

Once again we have to go through the dismal process of turning our
clocks back one hour to GMT. This means that it will be dark before
5pm in the evening in November and before 4pm in mid Winter. The
bonus is slightly lighter mornings for the farmers and other early
risers, but most 9 to 5 workers don't come into this category.

There is a Private Members Bill coming up in Parliament to change the
UK time zone to GMT+1 hour in the Winter and GMT + 2 hours in the
Summer. For most people this would give longer and lighter evenings
for recreational purposes (such as cycling) after work. It will also
reduce UK carbon emissions, reduce crime, and reduce overall road
accidents.

I wonder therefore if you could all write to your MPs in support of
this bill?

Old October 29th 10, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On 29/10/2010 20:53, Derek C wrote:
Once again we have to go through the dismal process of turning our
clocks back one hour to GMT. This means that it will be dark before
5pm in the evening in November and before 4pm in mid Winter. The
bonus is slightly lighter mornings for the farmers and other early
risers, but most 9 to 5 workers don't come into this category.

There is a Private Members Bill coming up in Parliament to change the
UK time zone to GMT+1 hour in the Winter and GMT + 2 hours in the
Summer. For most people this would give longer and lighter evenings
for recreational purposes (such as cycling) after work. It will also
reduce UK carbon emissions, reduce crime, and reduce overall road
accidents.

I wonder therefore if you could all write to your MPs in support of
this bill?

You're not Scottish, are you?
Old October 29th 10, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 29, 8:59*pm, Marc wrote:
[...]

Certainly not!

I'm English through and through, and proud of it.
Old October 29th 10, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On 29 Oct, 20:53, Derek C wrote:
Once again we have to go through the dismal process of turning our
clocks back one hour to GMT.

My 3 watches and 4 clocks are radio controlled so they adjust
themselves automatically.
Sky box adjusts itself.
DAB radios correct themselves.
I think the car is the only one I have to manually adjust - oh and
central heating.
Might have to adjust the bike's Garmin Edge 705 - will have to check.

On the subject itself, I don't mind the afternoons being dark, I'd
rather it be lighter in the mornings as I usually leave work at 1415
when it is light all year round.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 29th 10, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On 29/10/2010 21:02, Derek C wrote:
On Oct 29, 8:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yeess a little Englander through and through!
Old October 29th 10, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 29, 8:59 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Yeess *a little Englander through and through!- Hide quoted text -

The real 'Little Englanders' are likely to resist any change to the UK
time zones, because it will bring us in line with the hated French!
Old October 29th 10, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 29, 9:03*pm, Simon Mason wrote:

On the subject itself, I don't mind the afternoons being dark, I'd
rather it be lighter in the mornings as I usually leave work at 1415
when it is light all year round.

Lucky you!
Old October 29th 10, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On 29 Oct, 21:05, Marc wrote:

You're not Scottish, are you?-

Certainly not!

I'm English through and through, and proud of it.

Yeess *a little Englander through and through!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I mean how can you be proud of something that had nothing to do
with you?
I am proud of my achievements, but not my nationality.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 29th 10, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

On Oct 29, 8:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh right! It's UK time zones you want to change...

Spoken to any Scots about your request?
Old October 29th 10, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 29, 8:59 pm, * *wrote:
[...]

Spoken to any Scots about your request?- Hide quoted text -

The Scots have their own Parliament, so they can have any time zones
they want! Why should a small country with a population of only just
over 5 million dictate to the 55 million living in the rest of the UK?
Scotland already gets very long evenings in the summer due to its
Northerly latitude, which we don't get in Southern England.

Derek C