Presta valves coming out in their entirety: likely cause?

Old November 9th 10, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
J-P Stacey

Default Presta valves coming out in their entirety: likely cause?

About eight months ago I got a new bike with Presta-valve rims.
Although my last bike had Schrader wheels, the one before that was
Presta, so I didn't think this was worth thinking about.

However, in the past four or five months I've lost three inner tubes
to the Presta valve failing. All of the valve innards pop out, as if
it were an old Woods valve, and look like a sort of tiny miniature
sparkplug. As these are no longer the inner tubes that came with the
bike then I can't blame a dodgy batch at the factory (I suppose the
bike shop could also have been using Schwalbe tubes, but I thought
Schwalbe were generally OK.)

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Two other things I can
think of:

1. The new tyres are rated to 85psi. My ancient bike had 70psi tyres.
Could I be reaching a limit on the pressure a Presta valve can handle?
I thought Presta were rated to around twice that.

2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
J-P
Old November 9th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 9, 8:25*pm, J-P Stacey wrote:
[...]

I pulled one clean off the tube other night using a push on pump on my
spare inner tube at 11pm on my commute home.
I have since bought a pump with a flexible hose that means I don't
have to rive at the valve seat while pumping it up in a frenzy.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 9th 10, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

J-P Stacey wrote:
[...]

a lot of people have had trouble with these, they used to be ok, but
something altered a while ago. The trick is either to drill out the rim and
use a normal schrader valve tube, or get a presta to schrader adapter to
blow them up.

Old November 9th 10, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:25:44 -0800 (PST)
J-P Stacey wrote:

2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.

Anyone any thoughts?

I'm not a fan of pump heads that lock onto Presta valves, and I'm
particularly dubious of the Topeak Smarthead that supposedly copes with
both Presta and Schrader valves.

Old November 9th 10, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

[...]

I don't use schwalbe tubes, but I suspect they are not true presta
valves, and they have screw-in valve cores, They are presta-type
valves. Vittoria I believe were first with this. There will be two
flats on the threaded part for the cap so you can tighten them up
before using. They should not have been supplied loose. If you can
get hold of them, buy Vredestein tubes in the future, seamless, clean,
non-smelling, good wall thickness, takes patching well and a valve
that doesn't fail.
Old November 10th 10, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_3_]

Yes. Push bikes are for *******. Get yourself a car & grow up.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old November 10th 10, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

[...]

forgot to add in before, track racing tyres, of which the presta valve
was originally designed now are used at over 180psi in certain
circumstances. Presta valves are routinely used on the road at
between 70psi and 120psi.
Old November 10th 10, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:13:07 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yes. Push bikes are for *******. snip

Now there is another accolade. We are really going up in the world.
Let us work towards the next honour of incredibly dehydrated rock-hard
stupid!

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old November 10th 10, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message 20101109232421.6139e590@bluemoon, Rob Morley
writes
J-P Stacey wrote:

2. I've also started using a JoeBlow pump. Anecdotal evidence
suggests that this could be a cause, but I'd appreciate the opinions
of people here. Is there a trick to getting the pump head off without
causing any damage to the valve? I haven't noticed myself damaging it
but I'm a bit hamfisted first thing in the morning anyway.

Anyone any thoughts?

I'm not a fan of pump heads that lock onto Presta valves, and I'm
particularly dubious of the Topeak Smarthead that supposedly copes with
both Presta and Schrader valves.

I've had one that I fitted to my trackpump some years ago, it's always
worked faultlessly. I love it.
--
Chris French

Old November 10th 10, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
J-P Stacey

a lot of people have had trouble with these, they used to be ok, but
something altered a while ago. *

That might explain why the online world is divided into people who say
"hey, yeah, that keeps happening to me" and people who say "I've never
had a problem with them. Your wrist action is clearly all wrong."

I do have a Presta to Schrader adapter somewhere. It never occurred to
me to use it on a smart-head pump, partly because it doesn't actually
work with e.g. my cheap Halfords Schrader-only footpump, so I just
assumed etc. etc. but that's definitely an option for me. Cheers!

J-P

Presta valves? [email protected] UK 10 December 14th 06 01:41 PM
Presta Valves Graham Mason UK 10 July 10th 06 08:35 AM
I need help with presta valves please! Paul Turner General 15 July 7th 05 01:14 PM
Presta valves Ben Australia 7 January 24th 05 06:05 AM
Presta Valves-WHY? Fx199 General 51 August 13th 04 06:22 PM