Bicycle bells

Old January 31st 12, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Bicycle bells

Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they are
being used on public roads?

Old January 31st 12, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bad-day

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they
are being used on public roads?

Yes and no, Its a requirement that they be fited with an audible warning
device , so could be a bell , a horn, or something like it.

Old January 31st 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Bill

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they
are being used on public roads?

No.

It is a requirement that new bikes are fitted with a bell when sold but
there is no requirement to keep the bell on the bike.

Old January 31st 12, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ian Smith

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old January 31st 12, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ret.[_5_]

On 31/01/2012 10:29, Mr. Benn wrote:
Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they
are being used on public roads?

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-ar...g-and-the-law/

LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BIKES
The main law for bikes is currently BS6102, soon to be superseded by new
CEN standards, but this is for retail use only ie bikes must meet those
minimum standards at the point of sale. Bikes ridden at night need front
and rear lights, flashing or steady.

At night a bicycle must also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and
amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85, see below).

At the point of sale (ie shops) bikes now have to come fitted with bells
but there’s no legal requirement for them to be fitted to bicycles no
longer on shop display.

The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used. It states:
“Be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially
sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for
example by ringing your bell.”

Another ‘audible warning device’ is the human voice: a polite ‘excuse
me’ can often come across as a lot less aggressive than the apparently
insistent tinkling of a bell. However, ‘angry of Tunbridge Wells’ type
letters to newspapers continue to insist that cyclists – from
church-hopping old maids to downhill mountain-bikers – ought to use
bells, despite the fact their use often scares the bejesus out of
pedestrians.

On the Continent, the use of bells is more widespread and pedestrians do
not leap out of their skin when they hear a bicycle bell behind them.
Perhaps, in time, the use of bicycle bells in the UK will once again
mean cyclist approaching, please don’t move to the side rather than oi,
cyclist coming, get out of my way."

--
Kev

Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't
mind.

- Dr. Seuss
Old January 31st 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Jeff[_21_]

On 31/01/2012 11:35, Ian Smith wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:29:38 -0000, Mr. wrote:
Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if
they are being used on public roads?

No.

Well Yes, in NI & IOM

Jeff
Old January 31st 12, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
5th Horseman of the Apocalypse!

On Jan 31, 10:29*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they are
being used on public roads?

This isn't how I remember that knock-knock joke starting!
Old January 31st 12, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 31, 12:12*pm, "5th Horseman of the Apocalypse!"
wrote:
On Jan 31, 10:29*am, "Mr. Benn" wrote:

Is it a legal requirement for bicycles to be fitted with a bell if they are
being used on public roads?

This isn't how I remember that knock-knock joke starting!

Isabel was from 50 years ago at least.
--
Simon Maso
Old January 31st 12, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

On Jan 31, 11:36*am, "Ret." wrote:

snip
--
On the Continent, the use of bells is more widespread and pedestrians do

not leap out of their skin when they hear a bicycle bell behind them.

I have heard of this happening, but can't remember noticing it
myself. Someone once told me it's because in some countries (Germany
was the example), the sound of the bell states "I am about to crash
into you". Can anyone confirm / deny this

Old January 31st 12, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 31, 1:27*pm, al Mossah wrote:
On the Continent, the use of bells is more widespread and pedestrians do

not leap out of their skin when they hear a bicycle bell behind them.

I have heard of this happening, but can't remember noticing it
myself. *Someone once told me it's because in some countries (Germany
was the example), the sound of the bell states "I am about to crash
into you". *Can anyone confirm / deny this

In Holland if you are walking in a cycle lane, a cyclist will ring
their bell, shout "Godverdomme" under their breath and frantically
pedal backwards.

--
Simon Mason

Better than bells [email protected] Techniques 135 September 9th 06 11:52 PM
Better than bells Pat Lamb General 155 September 9th 06 08:54 PM
Bells. half_pint UK 13 December 20th 04 11:01 PM
Bells. The Oldfellow UK 20 November 13th 04 08:23 PM
BBC take on bells bill Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 April 30th 04 05:51 PM