F900 or SantaCruz

Old September 9th 04, 10:39 AM
Uncle Bingo

Default F900 or SantaCruz

I'm considuring purchasing a UK Cannondale 04 F900 for a sale price of
£1200 (rrp£1600). Other than the F4000SL which is completely out of my
reach, its the only European modal with an Opimo frame and Lefty fork
(which I'm reliably informed is far superior to the Fatty Ultra in
terms of travel and control).

However, before I part with my cash I wanted the groups view on whether
its possible to build a SantaCruz or indeed any top brand US/Can bike
for simular money, As I'm visiting the US in October for 2 weeks, and
could feasably work with a US store to build it up whilst out there
(before breaking it back down and squeezing it into a suitcase). (c:
The F900 isn't a US modal, and the 05 F1000 use the Furio frame.

I ride mostly fast single track so I'm after a light, sub 24lbs
hardtail with a plush 100mm fork.
What should I be considuring?

Old September 9th 04, 11:01 AM
Stephen Baker

Uncle Bingo says:

snip

Just buy both and have done with it. You know you want to... ;-)

Steve
Old September 9th 04, 11:30 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Uncle Bingo wrote:

[...]

Holy sh*t! I swear the same questions come up every week for the same
goddam bikes. Just do a google search for Santa Crud and Crapandfail,
you'll get the idea. You have to search those words, because you'll
see them more than the real names.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 9th 04, 12:54 PM
Uncle Bingo

On 2004-09-09 11:30:30 +0100, Ride-A-Lot said:

Uncle Bingo wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip, although Google only returned 3 results for
Crapandfail. The newsgroups they refered to focused on a small number
of Coda parts, a suspension seat post and poorly maintained forks
boots, i.e. people not replacing the lower boot cable tie and
regreesing the fork stantion.

As for "Santa Crud", the over riding impression I took was that their
gear is sound. Although craftsmanship can be debaited all day as its
subjective, most people were keen to defend their choice.

Do you have any sudgestion of bikes that I should be looking at?

Old September 9th 04, 01:30 PM
Ride-A-Lot

On 2004-09-09 11:30:30 +0100, Ride-A-Lot
said:

Uncle Bingo wrote:

[...]

Well, if money is no object as your original choices may suggest then I
have the following advice:

1. Don't buy anything until you have tried it on. Fit is the most
important thing on a bike.

2. I don't own either of the ones you mentioned. I did try a Santa
Cruz Blur, but at that time they were telling me 6 months to get a
small. It was a nice ride and I know a lot of people who have them.
They have never had any quality problems with them.

3. People who buy Cannondales seem to swear by them. I know two people
in my club with them and they can't stop praising them. I, for one try
to stay away from things with exclusive componentry such as the lefty fork.

4. The latest ones that I own are Yeti and an Ellsworth and enjoy them
equally. Both are pricey bikes, the Ellsworth more so and I suppose you
are paying for the name, but it's a nice ride.

5. If I had the money you were looking to spend, check out Ventana and
Titus. I rode a buddy's racer-x the other day and was very impressed.
I believe they also make the racer-x in a 29er, which one of our club
members has. It's too bad I'm so short or I would have a ball going
over crap on that. Even the small frame was just uncomfortable with the
29" wheels.

This is just my opinion and you will probably get 30,000 different ones
in this NG. Good luck.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 9th 04, 02:02 PM
Scott

If I were you I would buy a used frame and build it up. If I was going to
buy a used SC I would only buy a Bullit do maybe you should stay away from
SC if you want XC.

Old September 9th 04, 02:09 PM
Carla A-G

"Scott" wrote in message
link.net...
If I were you I would buy a used frame and build it up. If I was going to
buy a used SC I would only buy a Bullit do maybe you should stay away from
SC if you want XC.

Why? What is your reasoning for that?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 9th 04, 04:44 PM
Scott

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
Why? What is your reasoning for that?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Well you know I am a big SC fan but when buying a used frame I am personally
scared off unless it is a frame that is pretty much indestructable, like the
Bullit. Just my opinion. If I knew the person I was buying a SL from and I
knew it's history I wouldn't hesitate buying it.

Old September 9th 04, 05:01 PM
S o r n i

Uncle Bingo wrote:

Although craftsmanship can be debaited all day

^^^^^^^

You mean like when the fish steals the worm?

Bill "doing Baker's bloody job (brilliantly by the way)" S.

Old September 9th 04, 05:04 PM
R.White

Ride-A-Lot wrote in message ...
Uncle Bingo wrote:

[...]

That's too funny especially since it's true.