Non-spandex bike shorts?

Old August 14th 05, 01:57 PM
Joe S.

Default Non-spandex bike shorts?

Are there any biker shorts with lots of padding in the butt that are NOT
Spandex or other form-fitting material?

Tried Spandex and similar material in shorts for running and weight-lifting,
don't like it at all.

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old August 14th 05, 03:35 PM
C Wright

On 8/14/05 7:57 AM, in article bdHLe.250687$_o.75072@attbi_s71, "Joe S."
wrote:

Are there any biker shorts with lots of padding in the butt that are NOT
Spandex or other form-fitting material?

Tried Spandex and similar material in shorts for running and weight-lifting,
don't like it at all.

Thanks.

Sure, there are shorts, primarily used by off road riders, that have the
padding but not the spandex legs. But, have you tried the form fitting
shorts while biking? From your post it sounds like you have not tried them.
The reason that I say that is that I am also a runner and do not like the
spandex for running, but while biking the feel is totally different.
Chuck

Old August 14th 05, 04:37 PM
ie

Yeah, I remember when I first started riding and refused to wear them.
After the first few rides, my "experienced" friends realized I was going to
be a good rider and said they wouldn't take me along on another ride until I
got a pair of real biking shorts.

I grudgingly stomped to the LBS and grumbled while they set me up with a
pair. After the first 8 or 10 miles of my next ride , red mark on my
forehead--I was SO glad my friends had forced me into trying them and
couldn't believe how much better I felt and felt like such a ditz for
resisting for so long. While I did question the necessity for gel saddles, I
embraced gloves and jersey's and clipless pedals....realizing why they had
been invented.

I eventually started riding off road too and have always ridden both road
and off-road with standard black lycra. I tried the ATB style loose fitting
with padding but never found them comfortable for more than a quick trip to
the grocery store....

ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old August 14th 05, 10:18 PM
Robert Uhl

"Joe S." writes:

Are there any biker shorts with lots of padding in the butt that are
NOT Spandex or other form-fitting material?

Vintage Velos http://www.vintagevelos.com/ has wool shorts, jerseys &
socks. Pricey, but might work nicely for you.

I've yet to try them, but I'm saving up for 'em.

--
Robert Uhl http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl
There's only so many cookies one can pull out of a floppy drive before
Old August 15th 05, 01:42 PM
Earl Bollinger

"Joe S." wrote in message
Are there any biker shorts with lots of padding in the butt that are NOT
Spandex or other form-fitting material?

Tried Spandex and similar material in shorts for running and
weight-lifting,
don't like it at all.

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Dickies shorts, $9.93 a pair at Wal-Mart.
Padding? After a while of riding when your backside toughens up, you don't
really need it any more.

Old August 16th 05, 11:17 PM
catzz66

Earl Bollinger wrote:

Dickies shorts, $9.93 a pair at Wal-Mart.
Padding? After a while of riding when your backside toughens up, you don't
really need it any more.

My problem with the spandex shorts is that I like to carry my cell phone
and house key where I can get to them if I need them. It's not so bad
in cold weather when I'm wearing a windjacket with pockets, but in the
summer, I need shorts with pockets.
Old August 16th 05, 11:18 PM
Bill Sornson

catzz66 wrote:
Earl Bollinger wrote:

Dickies shorts, $9.93 a pair at Wal-Mart.
Padding? After a while of riding when your backside toughens up, you
don't really need it any more.

My problem with the spandex shorts is that I like to carry my cell
phone and house key where I can get to them if I need them. It's not
so bad in cold weather when I'm wearing a windjacket with pockets,
but in the summer, I need shorts with pockets.

Jerseys have pockets.

Succinctly, BS

Old August 17th 05, 01:17 AM
Steve Koterski

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:17:42 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

Earl Bollinger wrote:

Dickies shorts, $9.93 a pair at Wal-Mart.
Padding? After a while of riding when your backside toughens up, you don't
really need it any more.

My problem with the spandex shorts is that I like to carry my cell phone
and house key where I can get to them if I need them. It's not so bad
in cold weather when I'm wearing a windjacket with pockets, but in the
summer, I need shorts with pockets.

I carry my cell phone on the top tube in a case like this one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20405

--
Steve Koterski
Atlanta, Georgia

"Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to yourself, ask
yourself how you would act were all the world looking at you and act accordingly."
-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
Old August 17th 05, 05:01 AM
catzz66

Steve Koterski wrote:

I carry my cell phone on the top tube in a case like this one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20405

How does it hang on the tube? By a velcro flap? Something like that'd
work.
Old August 17th 05, 05:41 AM
Ken

Steve Koterski wrote in
:
I carry my cell phone on the top tube in a case like this one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=20405

Won't anything strapped to your top tube snag on your shorts when you're
climbing out of the saddle?