OMG, I TOLD YOU SO!!

Old October 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Maggie

Default OMG, I TOLD YOU SO!!

The Wogster wrote:
Buck said that too many parents were to tired, that tiredness often
comes from sitting in front of the idiot box, trying to digest a heavy
meal, when they should be out, doing things, especially family things.
My parents were older, dad was 50 the year I was born, and mom was 38.
Dad is no longer with us, mom just got bionic knees, my father in law
just turned 70, he is older then my mom who is 82!

How old are you? I am in my fifties and my Mom is 80. My Father is 84.
They are still going strong..they have grown grandchilden, they
watched three of them get married and now have 4 great grandchildren.
They have been able to see many generations. Thats a good thing in my
opinion.
I am hoping for the same....I have a shot, if all goes well considering
my age. I don't remember being tired raising my kids, but I sure as
heck think I would be tired if I was doing it now. I really do. Which
has nothing to do with eating or TV.
Maggie.

Old October 5th 05, 09:10 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 5 Oct 2005 07:31:05 -0700, "Buck" wrote:

I think a lot of the youth problems we are facing these days are caused
by absentee/too tired to care parents. I think its a direct result of
having kids later in life. Really, how many older parents out there
have the energy to haul their kids around in a bicycle trailer after
coming home from a long day at work? Most of them are just old and
tired and want to sit in front of the tv every noght....

Yeah, cause having to work 80+ hours a week to support a family isn't
contributing to parents being tired.

Jasper
Old October 5th 05, 09:12 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:02:56 -0400, The Wogster
wrote:

Buck said that too many parents were to tired, that tiredness often
comes from sitting in front of the idiot box, trying to digest a heavy
meal, when they should be out, doing things, especially family things.
My parents were older, dad was 50 the year I was born, and mom was 38.
Dad is no longer with us, mom just got bionic knees, my father in law
just turned 70, he is older then my mom who is 82!

I see you failed arithmetic.

70 ! 82.

Jasper
Old October 5th 05, 10:01 PM
Fritz M

Maggie wrote:

the year I was born ... mom was 38.
...my mom who is 82!

How old are you?

Google knows all:

http://www.google.com/search?q=82+-+38

RFM

Old October 5th 05, 10:03 PM
Buck

Andy wrote:
Buck wrote:

I think a lot of the youth problems we are facing these days are caused
by absentee/too tired to care parents. I think its a direct result of
having kids later in life. Really, how many older parents out there
have the energy to haul their kids around in a bicycle trailer after
coming home from a long day at work? Most of them are just old and
tired and want to sit in front of the tv every noght....

If people in their fifties are so tired and worn out, how come I
regularly see people in their 50s averaging 17-19 mph on 40 mile
non-stop group rides? How come I have known many hikers well over 50
who could do a 16 mile dayhike with 5,000 feet elevation gain without
any problems whatsoever?

I remember when I did a 50 mile nonstop group hike when I was in my
thirties; me and my other young friends finished 3 hours behind some
people in their sixties and seventies.

I remember another hike where a guy in his 80s left two guys in their
30s and 40s in the dust.

And how many of these would you call "typical" or "average" Americans?
I can say that in my area, I have seen a grand total of ONE person on a
bike besides my local university affiliates. And of them, only ONE was
commuting by bike besides me.

I'll admit it, we have cush jobs. We sit in front of computers or stand
in front of classes. My brain is tired at the end of the day, but I'm
ready and willing to hop on a bike and ride home.

My grandparents were the typical parents - grandpa parked in his easy
chair every evening after dinner and usually fell asleep there. Grandma
would cook, then park on the couch (and usually fell asleep there too).
I lived with them for a short while as a teenager. I got know their
habits pretty well. I was also quite jealous of the freedoms my uncle
had. He usually just did whatever he wanted to. If they said no, he
just waited until they fell asleep....

And this was the typical pattern among my friends who had older
parents.

-Buck

Old October 5th 05, 10:20 PM
Buck

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 5 Oct 2005 07:31:05 -0700, "Buck" wrote:

I think a lot of the youth problems we are facing these days are caused
by absentee/too tired to care parents. I think its a direct result of
having kids later in life. Really, how many older parents out there
have the energy to haul their kids around in a bicycle trailer after
coming home from a long day at work? Most of them are just old and
tired and want to sit in front of the tv every noght....

Yeah, cause having to work 80+ hours a week to support a family isn't
contributing to parents being tired.

Just what point are you trying to make? Are you making a comment about
age when people are having kids, or is your point more about social
standing and absentee parenting? Maybe you are talking about single
parents?

If your comment is about long hours, I think you are missing my point.
I think that my own mother (a single mom) did a decent job of being
active with me despite her heavy school and work loads. She could do
this because she was in her early twenties when I was born and she
still had some of the energy and enthusiasm of youth on her side. My
grandmother was in her early forties when my uncle was born. They had a
two-parent family. Only my grandfather worked long hours with physical
labor.

My point is that younger people are better able to handle the physical
demands of parenting. As we put off marriage and children, we are
creating a situation which makes it more difficult for our parents to
do their job as parents. This leads to the need for a substitute parent
(day care or a nanny) which lead to the need for a greater income which
leads to even longer working hours. And this applies to both parents
these days. It is rare for one parent to stay at home, especially when
they are busy buying the trappings of today's society.

I always wonder about other peoples' priorities when I see a $30,000
truck sitting in front of a mobile home as I ride by on a bicycle or
drive by in an 11 year old truck.

-Buck

Old October 6th 05, 12:21 AM
R. Gerard

In article . com,
"Andy" wrote:

If people in their fifties are so tired and worn out, how come I
regularly see people in their 50s averaging 17-19 mph on 40 mile
non-stop group rides? How come I have known many hikers well over 50
who could do a 16 mile dayhike with 5,000 feet elevation gain without
any problems whatsoever?

Just fyi, I am 67, semi-retired, 6'3", 185 lbs and, when not working,
put in 250 miles a week. bob
Old October 6th 05, 01:54 PM
Buck

R. Gerard wrote:
In article . com,
"Andy" wrote:

If people in their fifties are so tired and worn out, how come I
regularly see people in their 50s averaging 17-19 mph on 40 mile
non-stop group rides? How come I have known many hikers well over 50
who could do a 16 mile dayhike with 5,000 feet elevation gain without
any problems whatsoever?

Just fyi, I am 67, semi-retired, 6'3", 185 lbs and, when not working,
put in 250 miles a week. bob

Welcome to the waaaay less than one percent club! Really, I love it
when people say "Oh, yeah!?! Well I'M an anomaly in your dataset!"

Let's try to put this into perspective. What percentage of your local
population are cyclists? And of that, how many are over 50 and still
cycling? Whether you look at it in raw numbers or as percentages, the
number of cyclists who fit that profile has to be very small.

So, enjoy your stature as an anomaly. Really, I look up to you for it.
I hope that I am still active and fit instead of old and crusty at that
age!

I'm pretty sure my own grandmother would keel over if she were to walk
more than a block.

No, Frank, I don't have any numbers to back either of those claims....

-Buck

Old October 6th 05, 02:52 PM
Roger Houston

"Buck" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm pretty sure my own grandmother would keel over if she were to walk
more than a block.

Stephen Wright's grandmother started walking three miles a day when she was
seventy.

She's eighty-two now, and nobody knows where the hell she is.