36+ inch rim source?

Old April 10th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 36+ inch rim source?

I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?

Does anyone know of a source for unlaced 36 inch rims? I have custom
hubs I need to spoke them to. Cannibalizing four of "the big one"
unicycles seems stupid and pricey.

Any other suggestions for even larger reasonably lightweight but
capable "bicycle" tires/wheels for use on hard roads (pavement and
gravel)? I roll on barrels to handle sand and mud.

Here's a link to past glory (albeit modest) on the KSR circuit
http://www.humboldtmusic.com/kinetic It should be plainly obvious I
could use some more clearance between the barrels and the road for the
narrow highly crowned farmroads we spend a lot of time on. Any wisedom
on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old April 10th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
. com,
"Howdy" wrote:

[...]

You're welcome. 48 spoke wheels.

--
Michael Press
Old April 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Howdy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Can't help you with the wheel questions but just wanted to say I had a blast
spectating last year.

Greg

Old April 10th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
. com,
"Howdy" wrote:

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

You're welcome. 48 spoke wheels.

Nice non-sequitur.

Greg

Old April 11th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I can see that a 48 spoke wheel would be more robust, but I'm having
enough trouble finding any 36" rims let alone one with 48 holes.

I did end up finding that Unicycle.com sells an unlaced 36 inch rim
http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=569

Greg, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the race. Come again. Or, better
yet, build your own crazy contraption and join in the glory.

Howdy Goudey

Old April 11th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Howdy wrote:
[...]

Build them out of laminated wood. Wood rims used to be fairly common on
bicycles and other wheeled vehicles. Assuming your sculpture is low
speed, it should work. What about tires?
Old April 11th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Howdy wrote:
I'm interested in oversized rims for a four person human powered
vehicle I am building for the Arcata to Ferndale Kinetic Sculpture Race
http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

You're a little late, but the Da Vinci Days group runs design/build
workshops for the KSR series:
http://www.davinci-days.org/pdf_file...6_workshop.pdf

More about the KSR races at Da Vinci Days:
http://www.davinci-days.org/kinetic_sculpture_race.php

Nothing beats the Muckle Flugga!
http://snorlax.lampi.org/mike/ptksr99/muckle.jpg

Jeff

Old April 11th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Howdy wrote:

I'm aware of the Coker 36 inch tire aimed at novelty 36" cruisers and
unicycles. Has anybody used these tires? What do you think of them? Any
remarks on their worthiness for the abuses of 400 pounds per wheel?

The 36" Coker tire is sturdy. The Coker rim, not so much.

Coker 36" tires have become the favorite of touring and commuting
unicyclists, such as those involved with the Alps Unicycle Tour:

http://www.aut.unitours.org/index.htm
http://www.aut.unitours.org/Update/D...091538AC51.htm

Because the Coker uni's wheels are not really up to the job, there is
now an aftermarket supplier of high-quality rims for the Coker tire.
This rim is only available in 36 hole drilling, and it may or may not
be suitable for 400 lbs/wheel loading. But it is a good strong rim
that I have personally considered building a bike around.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=569
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=277
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=905

on the relative strength and ruggedness of a large (about 36 inch)
spoked wheel compared to a 26 inch?

All else equal, 36 inch wheels will be a lot weaker than 26 inch
wheels. However, the only aftermarket rims for 36 inch wheels are
about 2-1/2 times heavier than a typical sturdy mountain bike rim.
That should make up a lot of the difference.

The other thing that will optimize wheel strength for your application
is maximizing spoke bracing angle. You'll want to use
wider-than-normal hubs if you can. Since there aren't just a huge
range of spoke options for 36" wheels, you may have to make or retrofit
hubs to accomodate a spoke length you can get. If you do that, though,
then the hub width is a factor within your control.

Chalo Colina

Old April 11th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo, thanks for the insights. The unitourers are very impressive.

I'm hoping to reuse the custom hubs that I have been using with 26"
rims. They are 3.5" flange to flange, I think. It would be nice to have
more of an angle, I'm sure. Perhaps I can press on some drilled
standoff rings on the shoulders on my hub to get at least 4" flange to
flange. Although I should probably consider building new hubs. I'll
check with the local custom wheel builder to see if they can get high
quality spokes that will allow a four cross pattern with my hub and the
Airfoil 36" rim.

I've asked Coker for a spec on the 36" tire load rating, I'll post
their response in case anyone is interested.

Thanks.

Howdy Goudey

36+ inch rim source? Howdy General 0 April 10th 06 04:19 AM
Open Source Beer! Garrison Hilliard General 2 August 1st 05 08:23 AM
Low Priced Bike Parts Donald R ORourke Marketplace 0 May 10th 05 07:25 PM
Low Priced Bike Parts Donald R ORourke Marketplace 0 January 4th 05 06:40 PM
An experiment to prove the helmet law proponants RIGHT (or wrong) David Recumbent Biking 65 December 21st 04 06:42 AM