Need help determining value of bike

Old September 24th 04, 10:46 PM
Larry Coon

Default Need help determining value of bike

I just bought a new Trek, and now I'm trying to decide
what to do with my old Somec. It's too nice a bike to
just leave unridden, and if it's still worth a lot, I
think I'd prefer to sell it. Problem is, I have no
idea what a bike from 1990 might be worth today. But
if it really isn't worth much, then I -will- keep it
as an emergency bike.

I put a description/photos up:

http://www.assist.org/larry/somec.html

If anybody could take a look and let me know what
the resale value should be, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Larry Coon
University of California
Old September 24th 04, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately, the answer is "not much".
Bikes have undergone several major design changes since then. One of the
biggest is the introduction of 8s and greater cogsets, which means that
the width between the chainstays has widened from 126 to 130mm so that
you can fit a larger cogset on. In other words, a frame that old isn't
compatible with today's wheels and gears. We also have seen new designs,
threadless forks\stems, integrated headsets, no downtube shifters (which
this will have), etc.
As a result, it's pretty much only of interest as either a collector's
item (doubtful) or a rain bike.

My advice - keep it. It will definitely work as an emergency or rain
bike, and it sounds like it's worth more to you than the $150ish you
would get for it on eBay.

Old September 24th 04, 11:14 PM
PBridge130

http://www.assist.org/larry/somec.html

If anybody could take a look and let me know what
the resale value should be, I'd appreciate it.

I don't think you'd get $500, but $400 sounds too cheap, so I guess I'm saying
4-500. In other words, not as much as it's "worth".

Perhaps other NG readers will disagree.

Cheers,

Peter
Old September 24th 04, 11:21 PM
Larry Coon

Top Dog wrote:

Unfortunately, the answer is "not much".
Bikes have undergone several major design changes since then. One of the
biggest is the introduction of 8s and greater cogsets, which means that
the width between the chainstays has widened from 126 to 130mm so that
you can fit a larger cogset on. In other words, a frame that old isn't
compatible with today's wheels and gears.

Yeah, that's how I ended up buying the Trek. It all
started with a broken axle on the Somec. I decided I
wanted to update it, and by the time I priced everything
I would need to replace, I figured I might as well just
buy a new bike and be done with it.

We also have seen new designs,
threadless forks\stems, integrated headsets, no downtube shifters (which
this will have), etc.

All correct except the downtube shifters. This has
Campy Ergo from the very first day they went on the
market.

As a result, it's pretty much only of interest as either a collector's
item (doubtful) or a rain bike.

My advice - keep it. It will definitely work as an emergency or rain
bike, and it sounds like it's worth more to you than the $150ish you
would get for it on eBay.

Yeah, if it's worth that little then I'll keep it.
Thanks.

Larry Coon
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
Old September 24th 04, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

You may well get more, since some of your parts could be worth a bit to
a collector. Recond (of any era) maintains a solid value. Too bad you
didn't like the Deltas - those are worth their weight in gold today! I
based my estimate on "standard" components. If you are patient, you may
do better, but I still don't think it will be close to $400 unless
someone REALLY wants something there - it would be for collector's
value. I've got some friends trying to sell 2-3 yr old bikes (of lesser
quality, no doubt, but with 9s components, carbon forks, etc) for $400
and not getting it.
If this had the wider rear stay, it would have made a world of
difference.
Theoretically you can have someone widen it for you since it's a steel
bike. I don't know how reliable this process is - someone else can
likely say better than myself.

Old September 25th 04, 01:45 AM
PBridge130

it sounds like it's worth more to you than the $150ish you
would get for it on eBay.

Hmmmn.... My observation is that the frame alone would go for ~125, maybe 150.
Particularly with HS. Wheels, maybe 60-70. Crank? Might be of interest to a
period guy. Brifters... definitely of interest, might command a surprising
amount. Heck, DA 7-sp FW's go for $25.

Of course, all of that assumes a willingness to piece the bike, and to deal
with packaging and shipping multiple items, not to mention the need to
photograph and present the items well.
Old September 25th 04, 04:00 AM
Alex Rodriguez

In article , says...

I just bought a new Trek, and now I'm trying to decide
what to do with my old Somec. It's too nice a bike to
just leave unridden, and if it's still worth a lot, I
think I'd prefer to sell it. Problem is, I have no
idea what a bike from 1990 might be worth today. But
if it really isn't worth much, then I -will- keep it
as an emergency bike.

I put a description/photos up:

http://www.assist.org/larry/somec.html

If anybody could take a look and let me know what
the resale value should be, I'd appreciate it.

Nice bike. I would guess value is around $500 assuming the drivetrain is
not worn. Also, the seatpost looks like a Chorus, not record.
--------------
Alex

Old September 25th 04, 02:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Larry- I'm trying to decide
what to do with my old Somec. It's too nice a bike to
just leave unridden, BRBR

Perfect fixie frameset. Screw on a track cog, remove the big ring, attach the
small with track chainring bolts, take off the ders, rear brake-go ride!!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 25th 04, 02:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

topdog- One of the
biggest is the introduction of 8s and greater cogsets, which means that
the width between the chainstays has widened from 126 to 130mm so that
you can fit a larger cogset on. In other words, a frame that old isn't
compatible with today's wheels and gears. BRBR

But as a steel frameset, very easy to cold set it to 130mm, and then use
anything from 7s to 10s.

I disagree it's only worth about $150. I think it would be more valiable to
somebody that wants a good, well made steel frameset from Italia.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 25th 04, 04:04 PM
Mike Lackey

Twere it me... wait till next summer, peak of the season, and put it on
ebay. I think you'll be surprised at what it will fetch.

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL