My heels keep hitting cranks

Old September 24th 05, 06:47 PM
oldfatboy

Default My heels keep hitting cranks

Is this just because of the way my feet are naturally, or do I need to
adjust the seat height?
When I am sitting on the wheel, I make sure my feet are pointed
straight, but after a little while, the heels (mainly right heel) starts
hitting the crank on the downward action of the pedal.
I do this on both the 20 and 24" wheels. I have tried different shoes to
see if that would help but it doesn't.
It sure makes it hard while trying to learn. Hitting the crank and
thinking my foot is coming off the pedal does funny things to the mind

Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks.

--
oldfatboy - user name says it all

"I got to get me one of these!"

oldfatboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10599

Old September 24th 05, 06:58 PM
unick 8133

i would just get big pedals, at least for your 24" and bigger, and put
your feet more near the edge of the pedals, so even if your feet go
naturally outward, they will have enough room at the heels.

--
unick 8133 - tartar sauce

HOLY CRABBY PATTIES!!

I am proud to be a whole 13 years old

My (few) mastered skillz:

1. forward
2. backward
3. idle

unick 8133's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10398

Old September 24th 05, 09:07 PM
cathwood

I think maybe practice.
I hit my ankles a lot when I first started and so I bought some high top
trainers and some ankle guards.
It doesn't happen any more.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old September 24th 05, 09:13 PM
rob.northcott

I get that problem as well. My feet (in fact the right one more than
the left) seem to naturally end up pointing just slightly heel inwards.
I've tried to train myself to pedal with heels slightly outwards, but
they always work their way back when I'm not thinking about it. I'm
thinking about trying some cranks with a bit of Q - the ones I've got
now are absolutely straight. The boots I wear for muni are quite big
and make it more noticeable. Putting your feet nearer the outside of
the pedal would of course work, but I feel a bit insecure doing that on
rough ground.

--
rob.northcott - Speed Freak (apparently)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Old September 24th 05, 10:51 PM
oldfatboy

Thanks everybody
Rob, I'm like you. I put my feet out toward the end of the pedal and I
feel like I'm going to brake the pedal off. It feels *spongy* to me.
I will just keep practicing and working on it because if I don't my son
will be calling and giving me a bad time about how far ahead of me he is

Old September 25th 05, 02:47 AM
Carey

I had the same problem but recently decided to put the arch of my foot
in the center of the pedal versus the ball of my foot (the way I ride a
b*cycle). Seems to work for me and makes freemounting work out better
too for some reason--maybe it is the carefully placed and more secure
status of my first foot on.

Carey

--
Carey
Carey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9910

Old September 25th 05, 02:06 PM
Trapper

I have the same problem. Could it be because I have size 13 EEE feet?

--
Trapper
Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

Old September 25th 05, 02:55 PM
Chrashing

I've always had the trouble with heels hitting the cranks. It is less
with bigger pedals. I assumed it is because I tend to walk with my toes
out and my heals in.

With the Coker I had this problem, but when I changed it from 150 to
170mm cranks the problem went away. Even though the new cranks have a
higher Q factor. (Q factor being the distance from wheel to the pedal,
higher is wider.) Overall I don't like the higher Q, it's about an inch
wider, but it's nice not having my heels hitting the cranks. I mention
this because I would have expected a lower Q (thinner between) pedals to
help not have the heel knocking. It could be the longer cranks.

--
Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

Regards,
Ken
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old September 25th 05, 03:30 PM
UniTyler

I think 'these' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=670)
might help.

--
UniTyler - Everyone's my bra or sis!

halfbike wrote:
*Tyler is the coolest and he is man new main man!!!*

My poor poor p*nis! -My dad learning to uni

-last edited by an insane hacker on 2005-09-05 at 4:23 pm-

UniTyler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old September 25th 05, 03:42 PM
oldfatboy

Thanks again everybody.
I ride my Trek with the balls of my feet on the pedals (and also use
clips). I have been practicing the uni with the arch of my foot on the
pedal, but didn't know if that would be starting a *bad habit*, but I
think right now I would rather be riding with a bad habit (if it is)
than not riding.
Thanks UniTyler for that link. Those may solve the problem.

--
oldfatboy - user name says it all

"I got to get me one of these!"

oldfatboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10599

Lightweight Bigwheel AlbertKarel Unicycling 41 August 27th 04 11:16 PM
Need crank help. Sigurd Unicycling 30 July 24th 04 05:42 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman General 15 November 13th 03 07:32 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman Techniques 16 November 13th 03 07:32 PM