Need new helmet

Old October 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:45:46 GMT, "Bob Burns"
wrote in message
.net:

I'm the OP.

Ooh, so you are :-) After nearly ten years on this here usenet thingy
you'd have thought I might have cracked it by now...

Actually, the helmet that cracked had no vents- totally solid.
It had a total suspension that kept the shell off my head and was white in
color and quite cool. It was at least as cool in the sun as my new
Specialized Enduro Comp and more comfortable in the rain, which is why I'd
like to find another one. I had it about 20 years.

That sounds like no helmet I've ever seen, but I only started looking
hard at them in the last couple of years.

BTW, I don't think it "failed". It cracked and prevented any damage to my
head. Did it's job!

A cracked helmet has definitely failed. They are supposed to work by
plastic deformation; foam absorbs negligible energy in brittle
failure.

I can't find any bike or skateboard helmets which have no vents. What do
y'all do in the cold and rain?

Me? I wear a waterproof hat. I ride a recumbent anyway.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old October 10th 04, 07:58 PM
Rivermist

Pretty interesting helmet... how heavy are they?

"Mike Schwab" wrote in message
I like my helmet with a built in mirror.
http://www.reevu.com

Bob Burns wrote:

Tangled with a cable on a road last week and did a faceplant. Helmet is
now
cracked- need a new one, obviously. I have a Specialized Enduro Comp I
bought last year, But it's vented. Anyone know if I can get a solid
top
helmet? My old cracked one was solid- but I had it about 15 years!

BTW- got a skinned nose, several cuts on legs, some road burn
and lots of bruises.
--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old October 11th 04, 01:05 AM
Mike Schwab

Not much of a weight difference. I think the weight is listed on the
manufacturer's site.
I was going through 2-3 eyeglass mounted mirrors a year anyway and
thought the view was pretty narrow. This is much wider.

Old October 11th 04, 01:47 PM
Bob Burns

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
The only 100% solid top helmet I ever saw for bicyclists was the
Bailen. It was held on the head by a suspension type band, like a
construcftion worker's hard hat. The theory was that the air could
flow freely under the lid for cooling. But I haven't seen these in
years.

The new Bell "Metro" is almost solid. The vent holes are small and (I
assume) it's made a little beefier. Sort of like the original Bell
Biker.

Don't know how comfortable it is, or (much more important) how well it
will fit your noggin.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Yep, that's what I had- the Bailen. Wish I could find something like that.

I did see a motorcycle helmet called the skid-plate or something similar
which may work.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old October 11th 04, 01:58 PM
Bob Burns

Bob Burns wrote:
[...]

It's called the Skid-Lid.

http://harley-davidson.ridegear.com/...html?E+scstore

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old October 12th 04, 12:53 AM
Ben Kaufman

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:45:46 GMT, "Bob Burns" wrote:
SNIP

I can't find any bike or skateboard helmets which have no vents. What do
y'all do in the cold and rain?

They sell helmet covers. Breathable Gortex is just one of the materials they
make them out of. When it starts getting cold I wear a windproof balaclava
and when it gets colder I put some cellophane wrap on the helmet, which is
secured in place with masking tape. On the first run, take a little tape with
you to "patch" spots that might start buzzing.

Ben
Old October 12th 04, 03:29 PM
teknofyle

That kind of what I was thinking...