Riding on an empty stomach

Old January 23rd 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

Default Riding on an empty stomach

If your blood leaves your stomach to service the muscles why does that
matter? Get your electrolytes and H2O and your body will be happy. You may
be burning fuel you never burned before too. If you get overheated though
it compounds the heart's work so do everything safely in moderation. If I
eat an apple before I go I am not hungry for an hour cause my stomach does
not get a chance to complain. Your stomach does not get enough blood to do
any digesting.

SN

Old January 23rd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

nash wrote:
If your blood leaves your stomach to service the muscles why does that
matter? Get your electrolytes and H2O and your body will be happy. You may
be burning fuel you never burned before too. If you get overheated though
it compounds the heart's work so do everything safely in moderation. If I
eat an apple before I go I am not hungry for an hour cause my stomach does
not get a chance to complain. Your stomach does not get enough blood to do
any digesting.

SN

I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old January 25th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:29:18 -0500, "Ken C. M."
wrote:

I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
her finish the ride.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old January 25th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

wrote:
I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something to
do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But like
I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach at a
lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
her finish the ride.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Yeah, personally think it has to do something with stomach acids,
perhaps something in there to absorb or dilute them, doesn't have to be
much, just a little something.

Ken
Old January 25th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

wrote:
I don't know why it happens. I am no doctor. Maybe it has something
to do with your stomach acids sloshing around with nothing in it. But
like I said I turned up the intensity, I can ride on an empty stomach
at a lower pace for much longer, 30 plus miles.

I've felt something like this first thing in the morning (doesn't
happen later in the day, in my case). It just feels like nausea. A
glass of orange juice works fine for me; my daughter felt the same
thing one morning, and half a yuppie candy bar (aka energy bar) let
her finish the ride.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Yeah, personally think it has to do something with stomach acids,
perhaps something in there to absorb or dilute them, doesn't have to be
much, just a little something.

Ken

Like they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Why not
eat something first, or even your whole breakfast? If I try to ride on
an empty stomach I get a kind of mini-bonk after about 12-15 miles then
come home and eat more than usual. These morning rides are usually at a
somewhat leisurely 12-15 MPH just to kick start the metabolism.
Conclusion: Everybody is different.
Bill Baka
Old January 26th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Bill Baka wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well I guess everyone reacts different, I don't do it like that very
often, as far as riding on an empty stomach, but that morning was a bit
different.

Ken
Old January 27th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TomP

Try drinking a glass of juice (non citrus) instead of coffee. I ride all
the time on an empty stomach, with no problems. But a stomach with a cup of
coffee is bad for me... The coffee gets refunded real fast, so I don't do it
anymore.

"Ken C. M." wrote:

I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I have
done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good experience
with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup of coffee,
checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect but not raining
and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/ ride. I have a route
that is not too long, long enough where I can get a decent workout. Its
about 12 miles and I can usually average 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or more
correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old January 30th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

TomP wrote:
:: Try drinking a glass of juice (non citrus) instead of coffee. I
:: ride all the time on an empty stomach, with no problems. But a
:: stomach with a cup of coffee is bad for me... The coffee gets
:: refunded real fast, so I don't do it anymore.
::

OJ certainly provides more carbs if not eating a bagel!

:: "Ken C. M." wrote:
::
::: I have come to the certain conclusion that this is a bad thing. I
::: have done it a couple of times now, and have not had a very good
::: experience with it. This morning I had time. I got up made a cup
::: of coffee, checked email and such, and the weather wasn't perfect
::: but not raining and not to chilly. So I headed out for a /fast/
::: ride. I have a route that is not too long, long enough where I can
::: get a decent workout. Its about 12 miles and I can usually average
::: 15.5 mph or so. Today managed
::: 16.0 mph but when I got home my stomach was not liking the ride, or
::: more correctly stated not like the ride on an empty stomach.
:::
::: Ken
::: --
::: The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it
::: gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one
::: without shocking the entire community. ~Ann Strong
::
:: --
:: Tp,
::
:: -------- __o
:: ----- -\. -------- __o
::
:: No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

riding on stomach zachjowi Unicycling 9 August 20th 06 10:38 PM
Let's hope the rack was empty at the time Brian Huntley General 0 December 12th 05 04:22 PM
Search for brake lines comes up (mostly) empty. [email protected] Techniques 9 December 31st 04 12:00 AM
What's with all the stomach problems? BJC Racing 6 September 30th 04 07:00 AM
10cm x 10cm obstacle and stomach riding help oregonguy Unicycling 15 June 1st 04 01:08 AM