Electric Bicycle under $300 at Costco

Old October 4th 20, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Electric Bicycle under $300 at Costco

On Sun, 04 Oct 2020 06:06:17 +0700, John B. wrote:

But if you are going to adapt a "motor" to a bicycle why not adapt a
proper gasoline fueled motor and get some real go power. Cheap too, only
$120.

And a free ride in a police van here. no back seat, they throw you into a
low roofed fibre glassed box.

The motors are so noisy, they are easy to intercept.

Old October 4th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 16:16:05 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Saturday, 3 October 2020 19:06:26 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 08:01:45 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 11:45:32 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 22:28:32 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 10/2/20 10:18 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 10/2/20 3:51 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 3:35:07 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hn3pJigvWWGlboCHnrMiiJ5rEw7Evn79

14" wheels
Disc brakes
Range: ?
While it says 15 miles that greatly depends on how much assist you use.

Next week I'll go on my first offroad ride with an electric bike.
Homemade by a riding buddy but that one is a serious downhill MTB with a
750W motor and around 700Wh battery capacity. They want to pull me over
to the dark side but I don't think I'll do that just yet.

Why not Joerg, just think how old you're getting. The dark side is
calling.

Yeah, I keep thelling them "When I am 85".

And thinking about it, I think John is close to that and AFAIK still
riding non-E bikes. So maybe 90?

88 actually. This month :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Awesome, but with an ebike, you can kick-ass on the grandkids. Joerg will be miserable if he is the only guy/gal NOT on an ebike, even if he is far more fit than his companions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJET...alizedBicycles

-- Jay Beattie.

But if you are going to adapt a "motor" to a bicycle why not adapt a
proper gasoline fueled motor and get some real go power. Cheap too,
only $120.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Gasoline is a lot easier to find than an electric recharging station and refilling a gas tank is a lot faster.

Cheers

And a new battery costs... I see a "52V 17.5AH 1500W Samsung Cell
Li-ion E-Bike Battery" listed for Thai Baht 20,778.28, plus shipping.
that is US$670, plus shipping.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 4th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I'd always concerned that in a few years the battery for any one model of E-bike won't be available. then what?

Cheers
Old October 4th 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

I worry about that even for my cordless electric drill. It cost maybe
$50. For a $1000 bicycle, I'd worry a lot more.

I suppose the industry could come up with a standard so bike batteries
could be as generic and easy to find as flashlight batteries.

(Hah!) :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 4th 20, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Just buy a new bike. After all they are cheap enough. U.S. made in the
$2,000 - $3,000 range.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 4th 20, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

No thanks. I'll stick with my vintage steel frame MTBs and dropbar road bikes. I have enough components to keep them going for another few decades.

Cheers
Old October 4th 20, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 03 Oct 2020 22:25:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 10/3/2020 9:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I'd always concerned that in a few years the battery for any one model
of E-bike won't be available. then what?

I worry about that even for my cordless electric drill. It cost maybe
$50. For a $1000 bicycle, I'd worry a lot more.

I suppose the industry could come up with a standard so bike batteries
could be as generic and easy to find as flashlight batteries.

(Hah!) :-)

Fat chance, if the cordless drill market hasn't come up with one, no
chance for the bicycle market.

Old October 4th 20, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Well, yes. I have three "classic" steel frame bikes and as,
unfortunately, I am far past the days of pedaling along imagining I'm
on the last stage of the TdeF they are quite satisfactory :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 4th 20, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Those strap-on two strokes are noisy and hot. It's like riding a buzz bomb. Ebikes are a whole other thing, and a boon for the disabled and those who are unwilling to ride because it is hard -- or who just want to go faster. However, I do worry that they are another environmental nightmare, along with all the battery powered devices on the planet. I think end-of-life for a small internal combustion engine is probably less polluting.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 4th 20, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On 10/1/20 4:43 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

There is a huge problem that no one is speaking of. It took us 100 years to develop the gasoline routing structure so that you can pull over virtually anywhere and get gas. If we changed over to electricity where do you suppose it is going to come from? Overloaded transformers exploding are supposedly the cause of many forest fires. Do you suppose that tripling and quadrupling that load is going to make it safer or a sudden surge is going to allow the electric company to expand in nothing flat? John B seems to think that the car is the sole polluting problem because electricity is clean isn't it? Well no, California for instance, STILL generates a large percentage of its power with coal. And the pollution from natural gas is nearly as bad. Changing to electric cars doesn't change this, it just moves it out of sight into the countryside so that the pollutants end up in the food chain.

Nuclear power? The big thing among ignorant college graduates is "We need Fusion power" This is the "neutron + hydrogen + hydrogen + hydrogen + hydrogen = helium and heat radiation. The trouble with this is that we have never achieved break-even with this reaction and even if we did break-even doesn't supply anyone any power. The theoretical maximum would be something like 20 Mwatts for the reaction.

The Thorium fission reaction on the other hand is already to go and delivers approximately 10 times that much power for the fission reaction. Why are we talking about a low powered reaction that is difficult to control when we already have a reaction that is larger, cheaper, one of the most plentiful sources on Earth and we already know how to do?

The worst thing that ever happened to mankind was the environmentalist movement that was taken over by lunatic extremists whose real agenda was the reduction of the human species on this planet and not "saving the planet" at all.

Electric car gets passed by bicycle Alycidon UK 5 October 18th 15 11:41 AM
Electric Bicycle Forum chewbacca General 0 August 4th 08 09:13 AM
electric bicycle website. chewbacca General 3 November 9th 07 07:29 PM
Electric bicycle Michael General 55 June 30th 06 06:08 AM
Electric Bicycle- Any recommendations ??? [email protected]> General 6 July 19th 05 05:07 PM